Rumor: Dhaliwal- Boeser to Pens is a real possibility

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Perhaps. Maybe add a 2nd to this, or just Kapanen + 1st.

Maybe Boeser is worth more in a vacuum but I think the difference in contracts going forward closes the value gap.
What would you want from the Habs? Maybe the CGY 1st could be in play.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We wouldn’t trade our (late) 1st rounder who would take 3-4 years to make an impact FOR A NON-RENTAL player, when we have maybe 2-3 years of prime 87, 71, 58 left?? Get real.

This talk of “we can’t keep trading our 1st” by Burke & Hextall is just intelligent posturing for negotiations.

This team is in win-now mode and in about 3 years, we’ll go into a full rebuild.

And don’t forget: with Fenway having just paid almost a billion dollars for this team, they’ll seize the opportunity to make a run if they think we’re close. Unlike WSH, whose GM rightfully said they’re not that close (they are not 1 player away from being a legit contender), we could be 1 impact player away from being in a similar tier to the TB, CAR, & FLA of our conference.
It's not posturing, unless someone gets real silly in their offer we're not moving that pick. And I don't believe we have 2-3 more years. IMO that's very wishful thinking. TBH I think we're kinda on borrowed time now. Maybe we can squeak out another run this year but I'm not completely sold on that either. After this year things are going to go down the hill big time. We're likely to lose Letang or Rust.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What about Boeser for Kapanen, POJ + 2022 1st?

No, it would be closer to:

KK
POJ or 1st (one or the other, not both)
mid tier asset like a 2nd/3rd or comparable prospect

If I’m the Pens, I would sooner trade the 1st over POJ UNLESS the Pens know for sure they will be extending Dumoulin AND keeping Pettersson + Matheson. If they’re keeping all 3, then there’s a logjam on LD and they can afford to let POJ go. If they’re not going to extend Dumo past next season or if they’re going to trade one of Petterson/Matheson in the off-season, then they’ll need POJ to take their place because they have no other NHL ready prospects.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It's not posturing, unless someone gets real silly in their offer we're not moving that pick. And I don't believe we have 2-3 more years. IMO that's very wishful thinking. TBH I think we're kinda on borrowed time now. Maybe we can squeak out another run this year but I'm not completely sold on that either.

I don’t believe Sid, Geno or Letang are going to sharply fall off, when 87 & 71 are both > PPG players now and 58 is having a Norris caliber season that’s probably the best of his career. The Carter signing tells me that they’re going to keep this group together and continue to go for it until those guys decline. I give that 2-3 years before that happens, and it will be gradual, not steep.

But whether it’s 1, 2 or 3 years, the Pens window to legitimately compete is not open for long and they will make moves to maximize their potential. The players have earned it with their play this year, and Burke says he wants another parade, not to rebuild. We know Mario has always been a proponent & advocate of this approach and he still holds a lot of sway, as does Sid. Sid doesn’t give a f**k about what a low first rounder could be 5 years from now. And rightfully so.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Boston would probably offer DeBrusk and Vancouver would be smart to take him and renew his contract to like $12m/3

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
As a fan of neither team Kappanen is not even a starter for Boeser or Atleast shouldn’t be. Boeser is an elite goal scorer who’d put up huge numbers beside Crosby/Malkin.

if I were the Canucks I’d Demand Marino/POJ, Poulin and 1st at a minimum.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t believe Sid, Geno or Letang are going to sharply fall off, when 87 & 71 are both > PPG players now and 58 is having a Norris caliber season that’s probably the best of his career. The Carter signing tells me that they’re going to keep this group together and continue to go for it until those guys decline. I give that 2-3 years before that happens, and it will be gradual, not steep.

But whether it’s 1, 2 or 3 years, the Pens window to legitimately compete is not open for long and they will make moves to maximize their potential. The players have earned it with their play this year, and Burke says he wants another parade, not to rebuild. We know Mario has always been a proponent & advocate of this approach and he still holds a lot of sway, as does Sid. Sid doesn’t give a f**k about what a low first rounder could be 5 years from now. And rightfully so.
Sid isn't the Penguins and he doesn't make such decisions. If you wanna give them 2-3 years you go right ahead. But that's very wishful thinking. Like it or not this core is aging out. And while we might have a punchers chance this year these guys will fall off. And there's no guarantee whatsoever they'll all be back. Geno very likely will, not so sure about Letang or Rust. We're not trading our 1st round pick, accept that. Again unless someone gets silly in their offer.

Not that that pick will add up to anything, but the mindset of going all in isn't there. Sure make a deal or two, give up a mid rounder or a under performing prospect for an incremental upgrade if you'd like. Trade KK because he likely needs a change of scenery. All reasonable moves we could make. But we shouldn't try to hit the grand slam here. We need to most importantly be healthy and maybe add some depth. Getting Teddy back would be help particularly on the PK. He helps solidify our bottom six.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
As a fan of neither team Kappanen is not even a starter for Boeser or Atleast shouldn’t be. Boeser is an elite goal scorer who’d put up huge numbers beside Crosby/Malkin.

if I were the Canucks I’d Demand Marino/POJ, Poulin and 1st at a minimum.
You are not getting Marino +. Marino is probably not available because of the Penguins depth in the right side. But if he was I would do Marino for Boeser in a heart beat.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No, it would be closer to:

KK
POJ or 1st (one or the other, not both)
mid tier asset like a 2nd/3rd or comparable prospect

If I’m the Pens, I would sooner trade the 1st over POJ UNLESS the Pens know for sure they will be extending Dumoulin AND keeping Pettersson + Matheson. If they’re keeping all 3, then there’s a logjam on LD and they can afford to let POJ go. If they’re not going to extend Dumo past next season or if they’re going to trade one of Petterson/Matheson in the off-season, then they’ll need POJ to take their place because they have no other NHL ready prospects.

Yeah, this is spot on. I can see something like Kapanen, a B prospect and a 1st for Boeser being totally reasonable. You can argue what that B prospect would be, but I think that's totally reasonable there.

It sucks that Pettersson's contract is as big as it is. I'd be happy to do Kapanen, Pettersson and a 1st for Boeser, but I just don't think Vancouver would want Pettersson's deal with how much they're spending on Hughes and OEL. Pettersson is certainly not a bad player, but I don't think he's worth $4 million, let alone to a team who's already spending a ton on LD.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
It's bizarre to me how much this website shit talks Kapanen. He's getting grilled for having a bad season this year, yet is still on pace for 15 goals and 40 points or so. He has consistently paced for between 40 and 50 points ever since he was made a top-9 forward in 2018-2019, without getting pretty much any powerplay production. He was an excellent PKer with Toronto and brings a ton of speed to the table. He's also only 25.

It's just weird how this website simultaneously says things like "Texier and Hagel can bring back a 1st rounder and more" while also saying "Kapanen sucks". Kapanen's biggest flaw is that he has tunnel vision and would be better suited as a driver on the 3rd line instead of a complementary top-6 forward.

Kapanen's biggest flaw is his coach doesn't like him and has no problem putting him on the 4th line all the time and sitting him. I'm indifferent to Sully. I don't love him and I don't hate him but he's completely misused Kapanen. Kapanen is a PK monster and he refuses to use him there. Instead to prove his point to a player he'll just bench the player or shitcan him onto one of the bottom lines for months and erode their confidence level. I bet as soon as Kapanen gets traded he'll start pissing goals everywhere once he gets out of Sully's doghouse.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kap, POJ + 2023 2nd

Yeah, this is a deal I'd do. I'd probably prefer to do Kapanen, a 2022 1st and a B prospect like Legare and keep POJ, but I'd ultimately bite the bullet and do this if it would get it done.

Kapanen's biggest flaw is his coach doesn't like him and has no problem putting him on the 4th line all the time and sitting him. I'm indifferent to Sully. I don't love him and I don't hate him but he's completely misused Kapanen. Kapanen is a PK monster and he refuses to use him there. Instead to prove his point to a player he'll just bench the player or shitcan him onto one of the bottom lines for months and erode their confidence level. I bet as soon as Kapanen gets traded he'll start pissing goals everywhere once he gets out of Sully's doghouse.

Kapanen has definitely been mistreated by Sullivan and Sullivan is insanely quick to bench him, but I don't really buy that his issues are all Sullivan. Kapanen hasn't played well this year and has shown issues with tunnel vision on 2 separate teams.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

4 goal games like Jumbo?

Hopefully those goals aren't in his own net...

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Why? He will rack up goals playing next to Malkin or Crosby. His worst season is this year and hes still gonna hit 50 points.

Because Boeser isn't a Sully type player. If you score goals, you better hustle your ass back for a 200 foot game and play D too because Sully's not about the goal scorers doing what they are great at and has to prove a point to them. If we had Ovechkin on the team he'd want to turn him into Guy Carbonneau or Esa Tikkanen first.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because Boeser isn't a Sully type player. If you score goals, you better hustle your ass back for a 200 foot game and play D too because Sully's not about the goal scorers doing what they are great at and has to prove a point to them. If we had Ovechkin on the team he'd want to turn him into Guy Carbonneau or Esa Tikkanen first.

Phil Kessel had the best season of his career under Sully.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
kapanen is like Grabner, a PK scoring speedster that can move up the lineup at short bursts. That is something the canucks need. the question is what else to bridge the gap in value for Boeser, who is a 35/35 guy in his prime not playing with an elite center? A first is definitely part of it, if Kapanen can sign for sub 3 million, that will be ideal. POJ is suboptimal, if Boeser goes out, the return ideally would be a RHD with upside from the canuck POV. maybe a 3 way trade?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
kapanen is like Grabner, a PK scoring speedster that can move up the lineup at short bursts. That is something the canucks need. the question is what else to bridge the gap in value for Boeser, who is a 35/35 guy in his prime not playing with an elite center? A first is definitely part of it, if Kapanen can sign for sub 3 million, that will be ideal. POJ is suboptimal, if Boeser goes out, the return ideally would be a RHD with upside from the canuck POV. maybe a 3 way trade?

I don't know how you can call Boeser a 35/35 guy when he has never even hit 60 points in a season and doesn't have a career pace of 35/35.

I think the Grabner comparison for Kapanen is pretty fair, although Kapanen has played at that level way more than Grabner did.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad