Rumor: Dhaliwal- Boeser to Pens is a real possibility

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Kapanen/Marino and Boeser/Schenn is interesting. Still think this makes Pittsburgh a bit weak on the right side, would they go after another D somewhere else?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Kapanen and Marino seems like an overpayment for Boeser to me. Kapanen is having a down season for sure, but the difference between his value and Boeser's value isn't Marino IMO. Especially if there's a pick involved, I'd have to think any other player going to the Canucks would be a lot less enticing than Kapanen.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
How good is Marino?

Marino was legitimately one of the best defensive defensemen in the league during his rookie season. He looked like a stud. He had a really bad sophomore season, but he has been pretty okay this year playing big minutes. Overall I'd say he's a promising young middle pairing defenseman, but not a world beating star or anything.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Kapanen/Marino and Boeser/Schenn is interesting. Still think this makes Pittsburgh a bit weak on the right side, would they go after another D somewhere else?
Marino and Boeser is a good base. No way Kapanen for Schenn is part of it. If anything they'd use Kapanen in a separate deal for a top 4 defenseman to replace Marinno. Schenn is depth at best.

How good is Marino?
A weird contingent of Pens fans will tell you he sucks, but he's a fine player who still has lots of potential. Plays a bunch of minutes, his offense has kind of dried up from his rookie year but he's generally reliable and capable of playing a top 4 role.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Kapanen and Marino seems like an overpayment for Boeser to me. Kapanen is having a down season for sure, but the difference between his value and Boeser's value isn't Marino IMO. Especially if there's a pick involved, I'd have to think any other player going to the Canucks would be a lot less enticing than Kapanen.

I don't know if the difference in value is Marino (b/c I'm unsure on Marino), but Boeser is easily the superior player.

Boeser's worst season is more productive than Kapanen's best. There's definitely a big gap.

Feb 19, 2018
Schenn is going nowhere that is all but confirmed the last two days. I could see Boeser and Motte for Kapanen, Marino, Rodriguez.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The more I think about it, the more I'm unsure that the Penguins would actually prefer to do Rodrigues over Kapanen in that hypothetical trade. Sure, Kapanen is more "valuable" than Rodrigues, but to what degree? Kapanen's value right now is probably a 2nd around 40th overall, so is Rodrigues' value as a rental less than that? And more importantly, does the extra $2.4 million in cap savings make up for any sort of value you think Rodrigues lacks?

Marino and Kapanen for Boeser and Schenn ends up with the Penguins netting about $900k with no retention on Boeser, while Marino and Rodrigues requires retention by the Canucks to work. Are you better off with doing Marino and Kapanen and having a decently easy time of adding a RD at the deadline, or Marino and Rodrigues with needing to jump through hoops to just get the initial trade to work and likely need to jump through hoops to get any more additions to work?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Schenn is going nowhere that is all but confirmed the last two days. I could see Boeser and Motte for Kapanen, Marino, Rodriguez.

Pens aren’t gutting all their middle six and a young top 4 RHD for Boeser. It’s one of Kap or Erod. Nobody needs Motte so it doesn’t justify trading both Kap and Erod.

Reactions: Trade

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
hamonic in this deal, not schenn?

kapanen, marino, ? for boeser, hamonic

7.8 out for pens but 8.8 in.
seems like it would need something else added though

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
So anywhere from legit #3D when on his game, to bottom pair D when he's not?

He profiles as what we need, just gotta hope we are getting the top 4 version.

Id say it rounds out to a good, smart #4 D with potential to be a #2 or potential to be slightly overpaid. He’s pretty soft but he’s a valuable young player.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I'd love that. Hamonic is the better player but makes significantly more money than Schenn and is more injury prone. Hamonic retained makes sense.
yea, but hamonic has his red flags too so i doubt hes as interesting to the pens than schenn at his cap hit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would Hamonic actually come to the Penguins if they traded for him? If he'd come to the Penguins, it's very simple what to do: Kapanen and Marino for Boeser and Hamonic, with the Canucks retaining about $1 million on Boeser to make it a cap even swap for this year.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Would Hamonic actually come to the Penguins if they traded for him? If he'd come to the Penguins, it's very simple what to do: Kapanen and Marino for Boeser and Hamonic, with the Canucks retaining about $1 million on Boeser to make it a cap even swap for this year.
8 team ntc. i would think arz, ott, det, buf would be 4 of those teams

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
It's less about his NTC and more about him saying he'd retire if he'd get traded elsewhere. I always thought he was in the boat of "western Canada or nowhere".
at the start of the season when canucks required vaccination his agent basically said he was open to playing anywhere else and being close to home didnt matter anymore

Feb 19, 2018
Pens aren’t gutting all their middle six and a young top 4 RHD for Boeser. It’s one of Kap or Erod. Nobody needs Motte so it doesn’t justify trading both Kap and Erod.
Evan Rodriguez is a player who is having an outlier season and you’d be selling high on him. He’s not the make or break of this deal!
My personal opinion is we walk away from this deal with Kapanen + Marino + 1st for Boeser + 3rd. Boeser lights up the Pens and haunted Matt Murray back in the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad