Rumor: Dhaliwal- Boeser to Pens is a real possibility

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not sure why Kapanen would suddenly lose his usefulness in a PK role. I wish Sully would give him a shot on the PK, could jump start him out of the rut he's in.
There is a reason he isn't being used on the PK. I don't know exactly what that is, but there are issues with his game that are preventing Kap from being played there. I understand he Pk'd in Toronto, but he isn't being given the opportunity for the past 2 seasons in Pitt so why? Blame Sullivan, or other players are better - if he was a game changer on the PK he would get his shot. The Canucks don't need a guy that has PK'd in the past. They need someone to emerge as an elite penalty killer.

I understand that he has done it, but again I could point out Boeser's previous goal production per game and say he has done it in the past, but no one is paying for 38 goals per 82 Boeser even though he has done it before.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would probably kinda hate that. Requires Boeser contributing to us going far AND re-signing at a meaningful caphit, or that we win the whole thing, in which case... well, you accept a lot in that case :D.
I further have major reservations that Boeser, fine sniper though he is, ticks the boxes we need ticked. He is a better PP weapon than Rust and Rodrigues, yes, but that just isn't a huge concern with how the PP has been since Sid and then Geno came back. Both Rust and Erod score when given the chance with the 1st unit.
Nor is Boeser going to help much at all with the issues that PP could optimize on. He has the skill and vision to also help make Geno more dangerous ES, which is good, but in terms of sustaining offensive zone times, forcing turnovers and help out defensively.... I don't see him really adding.

Finally, I don't want to include POJ because he needs to be in the lineup next season when we should deal one of the LD's with real salaries. At least if its Kappy and 1st, if more is needed it should be a different prospect.

The Penguins have been doing nothing but trading for players that fit this archetype for years, yet it has resulted in absolutely nothing in the playoffs. They've added guys like Zucker, Kapanen, Tanev, McGinn, McCann, ERod and such that fit this criteria, but it hasn't made a difference.

Adding Boeser is a way different move than what they've done in the past. At some point, you need some variety in your lineups. This team desperately lacks pure scoring talent, as in guys who can cleanly beat a goalie without needing to rely on garbage goals or goalies making mistakes.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not getting Boeser for a bunch of spare parts. Kapanen isn't the type of player the Canucks need.

Curious as to why we couldn't use Kapanen?

He's one of the faster skaters in the league (re: JR on team speed), was good on the PK when the Leafs used him there, and fits age wise with our group.

Coming off a down year, he probably won't be too expensive to re-sign. He'll likely come at around half the cap-hit of Boeser's new deal, so you have to value the cap savings there, as well.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Brock Boeser is a bit of a confusing player to explain to other markets. He's an allstar talent with an absolutely lethal shot.
He's also got very decent size, and doesn't get knocked off the puck very easily.

His only problem is footspeed. He knows where to be and how to score goals, but he doesn't always get there.
Even though we adore Brock in this market, the Canucks are trying to get faster.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'd rather go for Garland tbh

I was thinking the same thing. I love Boeser’s sheer offensive upside, but can we turn him into a more well rounded 200 ft player. If they think they can, great. If not, Garland would be a better fit for this team’s style. Both are equally intriguing, for different reasons.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Wouldn't NJ's offer be something like Zacha + Smith? I don't see that as an upgrade on Kapanen + POJ + 1st

I had been under the impression one of the offers was Zacha+prospect+1st, and we include Dickinson. If the prospect isn't Smith, but someone like Bahl or Foote, I think we're still ahead.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Penguins have been doing nothing but trading for players that fit this archetype for years, yet it has resulted in absolutely nothing in the playoffs. They've added guys like Zucker, Kapanen, Tanev, McGinn, McCann, ERod and such that fit this criteria, but it hasn't made a difference.

Adding Boeser is a way different move than what they've done in the past. At some point, you need some variety in your lineups. This team desperately lacks pure scoring talent, as in guys who can cleanly beat a goalie without needing to rely on garbage goals or goalies making mistakes.

Aka what I've been arguing strongly about for multiple seasons now and usually told "we're fine because our wingers can score -- they just have no puck luck or run into hot goalies. But soon the bounces will go their way!"

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I like the idea but the problem is the cap and how you'd make that work.

If it is a given that Rust is leaving after the year, signing Boeser this off-season makes a lot of sense.
I’m pretty much assuming Rust is gone. If he signs a reasonable deal to stay. Awesome. But this is going to be the highest money making opportunity for him. Some team is going to throw stupid money at him, and I know if I were in his shoes. I’d be saying. I’ve won twice already. It’s all for money and fun now. So I’d ether be signing in the destination spot I wanted to go or for maximum money offered.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
There is a reason he isn't being used on the PK. I don't know exactly what that is, but there are issues with his game that are preventing Kap from being played there. I understand he Pk'd in Toronto, but he isn't being given the opportunity for the past 2 seasons in Pitt so why? Blame Sullivan, or other players are better - if he was a game changer on the PK he would get his shot. The Canucks don't need a guy that has PK'd in the past. They need someone to emerge as an elite penalty killer.

I understand that he has done it, but again I could point out Boeser's previous goal production per game and say he has done it in the past, but no one is paying for 38 goals per 82 Boeser even though he has done it before.

you clearly haven’t watch sullivan. No one in his top 6 ever PKs. It’s the only reason he can keep his bottom 6 role players in the lineup.

Kap could score a Hattie on the pk and he still wouldn’t get a chance. Sullivan has clear defined rules.

rust was an amazing player on the pk. He hasn’t played on the pk since being put on the top line.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
you clearly haven’t watch sullivan. No one in his top 6 ever PKs. It’s the only reason he can keep his bottom 6 role players in the lineup.

Kap could score a Hattie on the pk and he still wouldn’t get a chance. Sullivan has clear defined rules.

rust was an amazing player on the pk. He hasn’t played on the pk since being put on the top line.

he used Guentzel and Sid there quite frequently a few years ago

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Rust is a puck magnet. Best to not get him hurt, also you want to be able to send the whole top line out after a PK.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Curious as to why we couldn't use Kapanen?

He's one of the faster skaters in the league (re: JR on team speed), was good on the PK when the Leafs used him there, and fits age wise with our group.

Coming off a down year, he probably won't be too expensive to re-sign. He'll likely come at around half the cap-hit of Boeser's new deal, so you have to value the cap savings there, as well.

We have a sufficient number of wingers, and even a few winger prospects expected to push for spots soon. Even assuming Boeser is gone, we have Pearson, Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Miller and Pettersson, as well as Lockwood and Klimovich, who could be playing in top nine winger roles. He'd be an improvement on Dickinson, I guess, but all the others playing with the big Canucks have as many goals as Kapanen, and that's supposed to be his thing.

Ruthie said skill and speed. We've done the Brandon Reid/Mason Raymond thing before.

As for a lower cap hit for a down year, couldn't the same be expected from Boeser then as well?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Kapanen+1st would be my initial offer if I were Hextall. I am sure Rutherford/Allvin would want POJ added to that deal, but I don't think it would be wise for the Pens to deal POJ before they know what the future holds for Letang. Maybe there is a good way to meet in the middle without the inclusion of POJ.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I’m hearing Kapanen Marino pick for Boeser Schenn
I hear things too

upload_2022-3-9_11-50-23.png

Reactions: Harvey Birdman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad