Rumor: Dhaliwal- Boeser to Pens is a real possibility

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I didnt see this when i posted originally but this is not a bad offer from a value perspective.
I wonder if the Pens would put this on the table

I definitely think they would be willing to include Kapanen and POJ, but the 1st is open for debate.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You see people arguing that the Penguins can't keep trading 1st rounders, but trading a 1st rounder for a short term solution like Brassard versus trading a 1st rounder for (ideally) a long term solution in Boeser is way different.

Reactions: Dominance

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I definitely think they would be willing to include Kapanen and POJ, but the 1st is open for debate.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You see people arguing that the Penguins can't keep trading 1st rounders, but trading a 1st rounder for a short term solution like Brassard versus trading a 1st rounder for (ideally) a long term solution in Boeser is way different.
The problem with POJ to Van is that htey have a similar level prospect in Jack Rathbone.
He had a sniff at the NHL, went back to the AHL and has put up 21 points in 19 games. Impressive for a young guy.
He' s a mobile, left-shot Dman, similar to POJ and the Canucks have Hughes and OEL on the leftside which are both long-term players.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The problem with POJ to Van is that htey have a similar level prospect in Jack Rathbone.
He had a sniff at the NHL, went back to the AHL and has put up 21 points in 19 games. Impressive for a young guy.
He' s a mobile, left-shot Dman, similar to POJ and the Canucks have Hughes and OEL on the leftside which are both long-term players.

Yeah I imagine POJ being a LD may be a problem, but he's a fair bit different than Rathbone as far as I know. POJ's play style is incredibly similar to Marino's play style, he's more of a DFD with excellent skating and puck moving. That is definitely a good player to have, but it's a skillset that is super redundant on the Penguins with Letang, Marino and Matheson on the roster, and Pettersson to a lesser extent. When he was in Pittsburgh, JR claimed that POJ can play RD, but I've never seen him play RD with the Penguins.

If you assume POJ can play RD, I wouldn't be concerned with an OEL-POJ pair as a defensive shutdown pair. I wouldn't put POJ with Hughes because that pair is just too soft in my eyes, but I think POJ and OEL would make an incredibly effective shutdown pair that can also push play with their transition game. The Penguins have something similar now with their 2nd pair of Pettersson-Marino.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There's a huge gap between Kapanen and Byfield.
I think we've seen enough of Kapanen (with two teams now none the less) to know that there isnt much more upside there. I'd probably target someone a few year younger with a higher chance of developing into something more than they are now.
From Van's perspective, a RD would be preferable.

But you're probably not going to get a player better than Kapanen AND a 1st. That's why the 1st is there, to offset Kapanen being "decent" and not a star. If Kapanen had 30 goal upside, then a]it wouldn't be a 1st attached to him and b]if he was that good, the Pens would have no need for Boeser.

And I do think Kapanen's got more upside than he's shown. He's got the wheels and hands to be a guy who can score 25 goals to go along with being physical and can play the PK. Doesn't mean he'll reach that level, but that's why he's got a 1st attached to him and it's not a straight up trade to offset the risk he stays the player he currently is.

Reactions: Gurglesons

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
What if we do this as a three-way with a team that has an abundance of RD prospects of the same calibre? Wouldn't that make this ideal? If we got Kapanen, a late 1st and decent RD prospect for Boeser, I'd be willing to retain to the max.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pure lunacy.

dude is averaging 15 minutes a game. He’s not being deployed as a top 4 d lmao.
He plays on our 2hd pair with Marino, he just doesn't get used much on special teams. Clearly you don't watch Penguins games, because he most certainly is in the top four. You have no idea about what you're talking about. And the guy that would replace him (in theory) is out long term, so it's a no go regardless. And Matheson is not exactly a stalwart defensively. It would be asinine for the Pens to trade MP. Which is why in this scenario, it's not happening.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Unfortunately, Boeser doesn't have the value around the league that he would have in years past, and I say this as a Canuck fan. Between having an off year and his QO, we'd be selling low on him. With that said, we need the cap relief and he's our best bet at landing a decent return outside of moving Bo, Miller or one of the untouchables.

If the offer was Kapanen and a first I might just take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Unfortunately, Boeser doesn't have the value around the league that he would have in years past, and I say this as a Canuck fan. Between having an off year and his QO, we'd be selling low on him. With that said, we need the cap relief and he's our best bet at landing a decent return outside of moving Bo, Moller or one of the untouchables.

If the offer was Kapanen and a first I might just take it.
Agreed! I don’t think there’s other offers out there for much more.

Otherwise it’s likely, zacha + pick/ debrusk + pick… all similar-ish options. Just depends on what player/ pick combo you prefer. Or whether you can squeeze out another asset if a few teams get into a bidding war for brock.

Last edited:

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Agreed! I don’t think there’s other offers out there for much more.

Otherwise it’s likely, zacha + pick/ debrusk + pick… all similar-ish options. Just depends on what player/ pick combo you prefer. Or whether you can squeeze out another asset if a few teams get into a bidding war for brock.

Zacha plus a first would be nice. We'd have a permanent 3C in Zacha (which we need, since Dickinson turned out to be a disaster) that could move up the lineup on a pinch, and a relatively high 1st. Boeser alone is worth more than Zacha, but if it were Zacha and a 1st I'd drive him to the airport myself.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Zacha plus a first would be nice. We'd have a permanent 3C in Zacha (which we need, since Dickinson turned out to be a disaster) that could move up the lineup on a pinch, and a relatively high 1st. Boeser alone is worth more than Zacha, but if it were Zacha and a 1st I'd drive him to the airport myself.
I feel like zacha is a wing… he’s like Dickinson (can play c in a pinch but is better suited on the wing).

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
If Kapanen is involved in a Boeser trade, that will mark the 3rd trade involving Rutherford and Kapanen. I'd be curious to see the record for the most trades involving the same player and GM/President.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
I feel like zacha is a wing… he’s like Dickinson (can play c in a pinch but is better suited on the wing).
His faceoff percentage is pretty decent, although a quick look at his stats tells me that he doesn't take a lot of draws. I admittedly don't know a lot about the player outside of stat watching. Does he play significantly better on the wing than at center?

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Wonder whether Vancouver would have interest in Friedman

Still has some second pair upside as a RD, RFA after this season

Stock is up from his most recent stint with strong analytics

Pens just resigned Ruhwedel to an extension and wouldn't move Marino/Letang so RD is pretty set when healthy

Something like Kap + 1st + Friedman seems reasonable, or swap Poulin for the 1st

Reactions: 48MPHSlapShot

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If the Pens are making a serious run this year (which they will be unless there’s some catastrophic injury before the deadline), then they’re not trading either Pettersson, POJ or Friedman without a Dman coming back (and in the case of Pettersson, a top 4 coming back). The Pens know you need D depth for the playoffs and I just don’t see any of those guys going unless there’s a Dman coming back.

And as I have mentioned elsewhere, I don’t see them moving POJ at all unless they know for certain they will be re-signing Dumoulin and not losing him to UFA so they can keep Dumo/Petts/Matheson intact if they’re moving POJ.

So if they’re targeting a top 6 forward, which I do believe is their biggest priority, it’s assets like their next two first round pics, a prospect like Poulin and other prospects in the system (like the bevy of G prospects, etc.) that will be the pieces they consider moving, along with a player like KK.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Wonder whether Vancouver would have interest in Friedman

Still has some second pair upside as a RD, RFA after this season

Stock is up from his most recent stint with strong analytics

Pens just resigned Ruhwedel to an extension and wouldn't move Marino/Letang so RD is pretty set when healthy

Something like Kap + 1st + Friedman seems reasonable, or swap Poulin for the 1st

I'd be game for Kap, a 1st and Friedman. Even without Boeser we're still organizationally stronger on RW than LW, so I'd rather have the 1st than Poulin.

Our D is pretty weak on the right side, and ideally we'd like to ship Poolman out of here in pretty short order. If we were somehow able to do that, I'd welcome Friedman, assuming he would sign for relatively cheap.

So yeah, sign me up.

Reactions: StIvany4Norris

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
If the Pens are making a serious run this year (which they will be unless there’s some catastrophic injury before the deadline), then they’re not trading either Pettersson, POJ or Friedman without a Dman coming back (and in the case of Pettersson, a top 4 coming back). The Pens know you need D depth for the playoffs and I just don’t see any of those guys going unless there’s a Dman coming back.

And as I have mentioned elsewhere, I don’t see them moving POJ at all unless they know for certain they will be re-signing Dumoulin and not losing him to UFA so they can keep Dumo/Petts/Matheson intact if they’re moving POJ.

So if they’re targeting a top 6 forward, which I do believe is their biggest priority, it’s assets like their next two first round pics, a prospect like Poulin and other prospects in the system (like the bevy of G prospects, etc.) that will be the pieces they consider moving, along with a player like KK.

Depth rental defensemen go for a 5th or later

If the holdup on a Boeser deal is a #7/8 guy like POJ or Friedman currently... you make the deal and get a replacement elsewhere

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Friedman has top-4 potential at all, but I think he'd fit in well with what Vancouver lacks on RD. He has looked really good for the Penguins whenever he has played, he just hasn't played a ton for whatever reason. He's a 3rd pair puck mover with snarl right now, it wouldn't surprise me if he reached new heights by just being given a chance. That's exactly what happened with Ian Cole when the Penguins got him. Cole was a 25 year old #6 defenseman stuck in a numbers game in St. Louis, then he blossomed into a #4 defenseman in Pittsburgh and continued to be that for a few years after leaving Pittsburgh.

But with that being said, he has effectively no value right now. He was claimed off waivers a year ago and has played in 21 games in sheltered #6 minutes since then, he doesn't move the needle in terms of value. He'd be a nice throw in for Vancouver to get, but he's bringing effectively no value in that trade.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd be game for Kap, a 1st and Friedman. Even without Boeser we're still organizationally stronger on RW than LW, so I'd rather have the 1st than Poulin.

Our D is pretty weak on the right side, and ideally we'd like to ship Poolman out of here in pretty short order. If we were somehow able to do that, I'd welcome Friedman, assuming he would sign for relatively cheap.

So yeah, sign me up.

I don't know, Friedman is 26 and has managed 36 games so far. Possession numbers aren't impressive...I'd rather focus on Joseph or even Poulin with a first then Kapanen and Friedman being the main pieces back.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
KK and Poulin would be guys I'd comfortably part with. IF JR and Allvin value Poulin like they use to that should get us fairly close in regards to value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad