Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

3. Devon Levi, G, 21 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 212, 2020)

Levi is fresh off two seasons for the ages at Northeastern, winning the Mike Richter Award as college hockey’s goalie in back-to-back seasons as a freshman and sophomore, and finishing his college career with a .942 save percentage (while mixing in three appearances at three different levels for Hockey Canada and a 5-2 record in his first seven NHL starts). His journey from the CCHL to the world juniors and then the Olympics, all during the pandemic, was one of the best stories in hockey for a little while there.

And he has exactly the skills smaller goalies need to be successful. Impressive control on his inside and outside edges (and the patience to hold them). Quick feet on his shuffles so that he can stick with dekes and go post-to-post or low-to-high to get to tough pucks. Good hands. Perfect reads on shooters. Excellent tracking through and under traffic. And a battler’s mentality in the net which keeps him in plays even when he looks like he’s down and out. There aren’t a ton of 6-foot goalies in today’s NHL, at least not starting ones, but Levi, like Calgary’s Dustin Wolf, has all of the tools to become one. I’m a believer.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Scott Wheeler just did a 2020 redraft.. He slotted Devon Levi at number 13 overall.

Actual draft pick: No. 212 (change: +199) to Florida (now with Buffalo via trade)
My final ranking: Not ranked
Levi rises about as far as a prospect can possibly rise, and nobody can really argue with it at this point. This kid went from the CCHL to winning the world juniors’ goaltender of the year award without playing a single game in between! A year later he was at the Olympics and winning the Mike Richter Award as the NCAA’s top goalie! A year after that, he’d won the award for a second year and had played to a 5-2 record in his first seven NHL games! He might be the story of the draft when it’s all said and done.​

For completeness, he slotted Jack Quinn at number 10 and was very complimentary in his right up. That's 2 lower than where Buffalo took him, but still 5 over where Wheeler had projected him (15). Peterka was slotted at 15. That's up 19 from where he was taken by Buffalo and 28 above where Wheeler had projected him

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Scott Wheeler just did a 2020 redraft.. He slotted Devon Levi at number 13 overall.

Actual draft pick: No. 212 (change: +199) to Florida (now with Buffalo via trade)
My final ranking: Not ranked
Levi rises about as far as a prospect can possibly rise, and nobody can really argue with it at this point. This kid went from the CCHL to winning the world juniors’ goaltender of the year award without playing a single game in between! A year later he was at the Olympics and winning the Mike Richter Award as the NCAA’s top goalie! A year after that, he’d won the award for a second year and had played to a 5-2 record in his first seven NHL games! He might be the story of the draft when it’s all said and done.​

For completeness, he slotted Jack Quinn at number 10 and was very complimentary in his right up. That's 2 lower than where Buffalo took him, but still 5 over where Wheeler had projected him (15). Peterka was slotted at 15. That's up 19 from where he was taken by Buffalo and 28 above where Wheeler had projected him
That's as glowing a write-up as you'll see, nice.

Also, are all those exclamation points a hint that Levi's development curve isn't exponential, but is actually factorial and even steeper than we thought?! We likely have a special one on our hands.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
That's as glowing a write-up as you'll see, nice.

Also, are all those exclamation points a hint that Levi's development curve isn't exponential, but is actually factorial and even steeper than we thought?! We likely have a special one on our hands.
Who did he have rising above Quinn?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Who did he have rising above Quinn?

You get a Reddit screenshot as a response. I have my disagreements on the list.

IMG_0021.png

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
You get a Reddit screenshot as a response. I have my disagreements on the list.

View attachment 731221
Thanks. I can't entirely disagree with him moving Lundell, Mercer and Jarvis up, they all came into the league earlier and play a pretty mature game already. Perfetti seems too high to me, and really isn't much of a 2-way player like Jack seems to be, definitely not deserving of being top 5. Byfield still in the top 10 also is curious, and probably due to size more than him doing much so far.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If Levi puts up a .910+ SVP and 30 wins in 50-55 games that could rival Bedard if he is only at a ~60-70 point pace.

There’s only three things that will take Bedard out from winning the Calder. Injury, a partial season where he gets sent back to Regina, or another rookie throwing up an amazing season regardless of all that. Levi is out on the Calder. Because he’s not Bedard.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
There’s only three things that will take Bedard out from winning the Calder. Injury, a partial season where he gets sent back to Regina, or another rookie throwing up an amazing season regardless of all that. Levi is out on the Calder. Because he’s not Bedard.

The league has to market him, and the season ending without him getting the Calder is not good marketing

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad