Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
Levi needs to work on his rebound control. That was apparent last season, but his agility and ability to make those big time recovery saves will minimize the impact of that flaw quite a bit
did you inform the coaching staff? Hope they didnt miss this.

• Haha
Reactions: sufferer

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

12. Devon Levi, G

12/27/2001 | 6-feet | 184 pounds | Catches left

Acquired via trade
Tier: Starting Goaltender

Skating: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average

Analysis: Levi was again a top player in college hockey even if he didn’t repeat the ridiculous numbers he posted the prior season. He then turned pro and had a good short stint in the NHL for Buffalo. Levi is a very quick and intelligent goalie who showed in college that he has the ability to steal a game. He reads the play at a very high level, and when the puck is moving laterally he has the quickness in his lower half to get across. He plays aggressively when he needs to and competes well in net. With Levi it has always come down to his frame, and whether he will be big enough to be an NHL goalie. I think he will be, but I’m hesitant to tag him as more than a tandem type because of that risk variable. He’s done nothing more than prove people wrong for the last few years so I wouldn’t be shocked if he developed into a legitimate starter.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I thought one of the points of fancy stats was to be able to exploit biases and preconceived notions ("He's too small") to one's advantage?

Goalie size is probably the only "Hockey Guy" heuristic with some legitimacy. It's not an iron law, but we'd expect a lot more goalies 6'->6'2" if it had no validity.

Levi already appears to be capable of reading NHL speed game play at a notable level. Given his age that means he'll almost certainly carve out some sort of NHL career. It's fair to be uncertain if his size and aforementioned rebound rate costs him.

His opponents have better hand speed and anticipation than the forwards in college. They'll put away goalmouth chances at a rate which they didn't against NEU.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Goalie size is probably the only "Hockey Guy" heuristic with some legitimacy. It's not an iron law, but we'd expect a lot more goalies 6'->6'2" if it had no validity.

Levi already appears to be capable of reading NHL speed game play at a notable level. Given his age that means he'll almost certainly carve out some sort of NHL career. It's fair to be uncertain if his size and aforementioned rebound rate costs him.

His opponents have better hand speed and anticipation than the forwards in college. They'll put away goalmouth chances at a rate which they didn't against NEU.
Maybe but there is a certainly a level of self fulfilling prophecy to that size bias. I saw it quite a bit when I was involved in youth hockey. Maybe it’s not as prevalent now. But I did see smaller goalies losing out on chances at higher levels simply due to their lack of size.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Devon Levi, Buffalo Sabres (31 points): The 21-year-old made his NHL debut last season, when he went 5-2-0 with a 2.94 goals-against average and .905 save percentage in seven starts. Prior to joining the Sabres, Levi went 17-12-5 with a 2.24 GAA, .933 save percentage and six shutouts in 34 games with Northeastern. His save percentage was the best in the NCAA for the second consecutive season and Levi won the Mike Richter Award as the top goalie in men's collegiate hockey, the first two-time winner since its inception in 2014. Not bad credentials for the goalie Buffalo hopes will be a big part of its future, after acquiring him in a trade with the Florida Panthers on July 24, 2021. He's off to a good start.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Maybe but there is a certainly a level of self fulfilling prophecy to that size bias. I saw it quite a bit when I was involved in youth hockey. Maybe it’s not as prevalent now. But I did see smaller goalies losing out on chances at higher levels simply due to their lack of size.
I could definitely see size with goalies being something like the early in a birth year thing where early physically developing goalies get more looks on higher level teams at younger ages.

There is also the mindset that big goalies take up more net is going to take some time to die.

Personally, the sweet spot for NHL goalie prospects is 6'2"-6'4". And if you are looking at a goalie that is outside that ideal height, I would lean toward a shorter goalie with plus skating and play reading ability.

That's why I like Ratzlaff more than Leinonen.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I could definitely see size with goalies being something like the early in a birth year thing where early physically developing goalies get more looks on higher level teams at younger ages.

There is also the mindset that big goalies take up more net is going to take some time to die.

Personally, the sweet spot for NHL goalie prospects is 6'2"-6'4". And if you are looking at a goalie that is outside that ideal height, I would lean toward a shorter goalie with plus skating and play reading ability.

That's why I like Ratzlaff more than Leinonen.
Ratzlaff will turn some heads this season

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Until he establishes himself, Levi will be a "promising, undersized goalie who excelled at the NCAA level" to most observers who don't follow the Sabres closely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad