Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Goalie size is probably the only "Hockey Guy" heuristic with some legitimacy. It's not an iron law, but we'd expect a lot more goalies 6'->6'2" if it had no validity.

Levi already appears to be capable of reading NHL speed game play at a notable level. Given his age that means he'll almost certainly carve out some sort of NHL career. It's fair to be uncertain if his size and aforementioned rebound rate costs him.

His opponents have better hand speed and anticipation than the forwards in college. They'll put away goalmouth chances at a rate which they didn't against NEU.
Defenseman size is almost just as important imo. I think once everyone realized that size isn’t that big of a deal for wingers, and even centers, they sometimes assume that the same applies to other positions when it mostly does not.

Maker and Quinn being freakish anomalies so close together also contributed to that notion…but in reality, size actually still mattters almost as much for a defenseman as it ever has.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Defenseman size is almost just as important imo. I think once everyone realized that size isn’t that big of a deal for wingers, and even centers, they sometimes assume that the same applies to other positions when it mostly does not.

Maker and Quinn being freakish anomalies so close together also contributed to that notion…but in reality, size actually still mattters almost as much for a defenseman as it ever has.
It does because it gives a player basic physical advantage. At the same time, it doesn't matter because you still need to be athletic to be effective. The combination of size and athleticism is rare and that's what makes for being outstanding. Just being big is like being Lane Hutson, half of the equation. It doesn't matter but it can matter.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Defense size is an interesting case. I think it was true that they needed to be pretty large. That seems to have dissipated with the adoption of hybrid icing.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
He was overlooked too but wasnt it just in the 00s that goalies with size became a thing?
Goalies used to be the smallest guys on every team. Ken Dryden was the first supersized goalie I can remember. When they shifted from stand-up style to butterfly, then height became a real advantage. I've said it before -- Hasek was a freak, but he would never get a sniff today.

Reactions: Tsujimoto

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
When you talk about size for defencemen people focus on the added strength, but equally or more important is the added length.

Length combined with skating and a quick stick equals range, which is less about how fast a defenceman moves up the ice and more about how hard a defenceman is to get around.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
His style would have got coached out of him.
It depends on where he grew up. There are very different models for goalie development around the world. Russian goalies are the most likely to be allowed to develop a unique style of play like Hasek had.

You would unlikely to see a goalie anything like Hasek to come out of places like Finland, Sweden, Canada, or the US however.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Tier 7 Bubble top and middle of the lineup player
66 Jesper Wallstedt 6’3”

68 Yaroslav Askarov 6’3”

83 Spencer Knight 6’3”

Tier 8 Middle of the lineup player

115 Mads Sogaard 6’7”

150 Dustin Wolf 6’

160 Arturs Silovs 6’4”

165 Devon Levi 6’

166 Michael Hrabal 6’7”

167 Sebastian Cossa 6’6”

That is what Pronman thinks of the goalie prospects around the league.

Reactions: Dingo44

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He was overlooked too but wasn’t it just in the 00s that goalies with size became a thing?
I’m assuming it coincided with the butterfly technique becoming prominent. Since a much taller goalie on their knees can cover more net than a shorter one.

I think thats when pants/padding started getting bigger/bulkier as well. A goalie as thin as Ryan Miller would still fill up the net even though he was rail thin.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It was interesting to hear how early Levi identified Kaapo Kakko (No. 24) as the primary threat based on the positioning and pursuit of his defensemen, as well as Alexis Lafreniere looking across as he chased down the puck coming into the offensive zone. Despite that early awareness, Levi thinks he could have stay deeper in his crease to shorten his push.

“I think I could be a little bit deeper, honestly,” Levi said. “He has the potential to walk in but decides not to and there also three guys in his grill so it was the right play to pass, but knowing I had a guy on my left gave me an opportunity to push and try to get something on it.”

As for the mechanics of that push, Levi said it starts with his head.

“I’m leading with my head, looking at his release, just trying to track the puck,” Levi said. “I’m in a desperation save but I’m still trying to get my glove on it. So, I’m taking top of net away and then I see he puts it a little lower, so I close down on it and just smother it with my hand.”

It was also interesting to hear Levi talk about using a paddle down technique for more than just the 5-hole coverage it provides as he comes across into that “desperation save.”

“I can keep my chest up a little bit longer,” he said. “Just hold myself up.”

That sounds a lot like what we first heard from Jaroslav Halak, who was at the other end of Levi’s NHL debut when this save was made, in a couple of his Pro Reads sessions.

We have lots more coming from Levi and our time with him in Montreal, including video from four ice sessions with Raimondo, equipment insights and tips from the locker room of a CCM shoot earlier in the week, and another 40+ minutes of video breakdowns.

Stay tuned for all that, and a Podcast interview with Levi and Raimondo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Many including myself are a bit worried about the pressure we're going to put on this kid this year (barring a trade), but if there is a young goalie that seems to have the mental toughness to dive right into the NHL- it's Levi. It must be something with the Sith. They're evil bastards, but most of us can agree they're pretty strong mentally.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Many including myself are a bit worried about the pressure we're going to put on this kid this year (barring a trade), but if there is a young goalie that seems to have the mental toughness to dive right into the NHL- it's Levi. It must be something with the Sith. They're evil bastards, but most of us can agree they're pretty strong mentally.
I have 0 concern about the pressure on him. That is not to say he will definitely win the Calder or anything, but he won't struggle mentally. He will likely end up about .910-.915 this year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I am not worried about the pressure on him.

I do have some concerns about the time it will take him to learn and adapt to NHL travel, workload, and how that will affect his habits and routines. In the podcast with InGoal he talked about how some of the things that he liked to do at Northeastern will not be possible as a pro.

It will be interesting to see how quickly he can learn and adapt his process to fit with the NHL structure outside of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad