Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Oh boy, there were some bitter ones in their post game thread. I like to read post game threads from opposing fans sometimes to see how they gauged the game and team. I rarely if ever post in those threads.

One poster thinks Levi is overrated, sucks, and will be exposed when players start shooting blocker side because he hasn't made a save with his blocker yet. Yikes!

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Oh boy, there were some bitter ones in their post game thread. I like to read post game threads from opposing fans sometimes to see how they gauged the game and team. I rarely if ever post in those threads.

One poster thinks Levi is overrated, sucks, and will be exposed when players start shooting blocker side because he hasn't made a save with his blocker yet. Yikes!
Rangers post game threads are my favorite ones. If they win, the other team is trash. If they lose, the other team is still trash but so were their players because they just didn't care enough to win.

I saw the posts about Levi. Seemed to only be 1 or 2 of them, most of the Ranger fans were very complimentary of Levi and expect him to be a very good goalie.

Reactions: Chainshot

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary

I just love the swagger and positive energy he displays during interviews. I say let him run with the spot for the last few games (Maybe even tonight). like a lot of people are saying - clutch gene. I haven't felt this confident on what a goalie may become in quite a while.. Kind of when 6K was in the WJCs but.. His awareness, glove hand, motion & reflexes. I just love that he's so young, & is absolutely dialed in during this part of the season where literally every game has mattered more than the previous. Doesn't get flustered. The whole Star Wars meditation routine.

Inject it into me.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You really going to die on this narrative aren't you?!

It's not really controversial that a 21 year old goalie with zero professional experience should get some time in the minors to adjust and work on his game. It's how the vast majority of NHL goalies develop. Good play over a few starts at the end of the season doesn't change much. I get his pedigree and his obvious skills, but more heralded goalies than Levi have tried and failed.

Can't let the our neglect of the goalie position over the last 4 years translate into anointing the first goalie who plays well a couple of big games as the savior in goal.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If UPL is put in Rochester to start next season, then waivers doesn't come into play, correct? I'm thinking that if Levi looks good again in camp he makes the team and splits time with Comrie. Then if he hits a wall and struggles for a bit, he can be sent to Rochester and UPL can be brought up. Then depending how Levi does in Rochester, Comrie can either be dealt at the deadline and Levi brought back up, or Comrie stays all season and walks that summer.

Buffalo doesn't have to lose UPL to waivers in that scenario.

Reactions: Matt Ress

MGIII

Legendary
Jun 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This idea that Levi has to be sent down to appease the development gods is weird to me. If he continues giving the Sabres the best chance to win every night I don't see why you'd arbitrarily send him to the A.

Let his play dictate what his development needs. Right now, he looks the part of NHL goaltender.
it's conventional conservative trajectory of elongated goalie development

But ain't no experience like desperate playoff race experience for a young goalie, and he's clearly showing he rises to the occasion of playing at the highest level - and relishes the opportunity.

no need to take Rochester out of the equation absolutely, maybe he has a rough patch and needs to take some time down next season. But he's proving himself night in and night out, makes no sense to arbitrarily guard rail his growth and career if he's by far your best performing goaltender.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
This idea that Levi has to be sent down to appease the development gods is weird to me. If he continues giving the Sabres the best chance to win every night I don't see why you'd arbitrarily send him to the A.

Let his play dictate what his development needs. Right now, he looks the part of NHL goaltender.
I mentioned it with Savoie and was swarmed. I mentioned it with Levi and same thing. Get called names, told I know nothing about hockey or player development... Some folks have changed their minds since then. Hell I had to defend Mitts all season when half the board wanted to trade him. Point is, being the loudest doesn't make someone right. /End petty rant.

I still think we need to acquire a steady goaltender in the off-season but we'll see how things play out in October with all of them.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If UPL is put in Rochester to start next season, then waivers doesn't come into play, correct? I'm thinking that if Levi looks good again in camp he makes the team and splits time with Comrie. Then if he hits a wall and struggles for a bit, he can be sent to Rochester and UPL can be brought up. Then depending how Levi does in Rochester, Comrie can either be dealt at the deadline and Levi brought back up, or Comrie stays all season and walks that summer.

UPL would have to clear waivers to go to Rochester next season, even if it is to start the season.

All players start the season on the NHL roster and players like UPL need to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL (or ECHL) even during training camp.

It would be just like Subban this season.

Capture.PNG

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Or they can just move one or both and bring in an effective NHL goalie. No point in leaving those moldy strawberries in the fridge. I guess I would prefer to keep UPL between the two with more growth opportunity.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Or they can just move one or both and bring in an effective NHL goalie. No point in leaving those moldy strawberries in the fridge. I guess I would prefer to keep UPL between the two with more growth opportunity.
My dream scenario would be trading Comrie+_____ for 1G, having UPL start the season as the backup, and send Levi to Rochester.

Then if Levi is playing so well that there is no point in leaving him in Rochester, call him up, try and trade UPL, and if that fails, waive him to Rochester.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
UPL would have to clear waivers to go to Rochester next season, even if it is to start the season.

All players start the season on the NHL roster and players like UPL need to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL (or ECHL) even during training camp.

It would be just like Subban this season.

View attachment 685696
Well damn it then.

Believe me I'm in favor, I just don't think KA is going to try that solution. If he was, I prefer trading Comrie because I think UPL can be a better goalie with time.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
My dream scenario would be trading Comrie+_____ for 1G, having UPL start the season as the backup, and send Levi to Rochester.

Then if Levi is playing so well that there is no point in leaving him in Rochester, call him up, try and trade UPL, and if that fails, waive him to Rochester.
They can't walk into next season with Comrie/UPL even if the plan is to start Levi in ROC. And it would be kinda irresponsible to assume Levi will be your 1G next season at this point. That's why I completely agree with you. Even if it shakes out as Levi backing up a proven 1G, they have to whittle down and consolidate their net.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They can't walk into next season with Comrie/UPL even if the plan is to start Levi in ROC. And it would be kinda irresponsible to assume Levi will be your 1G next season at this point. That's why I completely agree with you. Even if it shakes out as Levi backing up a proven 1G, they have to whittle down and consolidate their net.
I feel like Levi needs starts. So, planning on him being the #2 Buffalo does not seem like a great plan to me.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

I read, it's like 2 posters, one guy is adamant about it but both are in their feelings looking for a way to reel.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'm not very knowledgeable about goalie technique and such things, so I would love to hear someone explain what exactly Levi would need to work on in the AHL and whether it makes a difference to being in the NHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Part of is he needs to play games. Being a NHL backup isn’t ideal for that so he’d need to be our starter. Which puts an enormous amount of pressure on him as a pro rookie.

Another part of it.. It’s not that common for a goalie to jump to the NHL this fast. Although Swayman and Knight did in somewhat similar situations.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not very knowledgeable about goalie technique and such things, so I would love to hear someone explain what exactly Levi would need to work on in the AHL and whether it makes a difference to being in the NHL.
I think it is all about the mental and physical adaptation to a heavier workload.

Capture.PNG

Levi has not had the opportunity to play 50+ games in a season pretty much ever. Having the capacity to handle that level of work takes some time to develop.

So, that is why I think Levi needs to be a workhorse #1 goalie next season. And given that the Sabres should be looking to make the playoffs next season, it is risky to expect Levi to be able to handle that next season.

It's less about the technical parts of the game and stopping pro level shots. His 5 games so far show that he has that stuff unless shooters get a book on him and he's getting by on a lack of a pre-scout on him.

Reactions: michaelsaas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad