Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

1681225365357.png

:clap:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    577.6 KB · Views: 6

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This idea that Levi has to be sent down to appease the development gods is weird to me. If he continues giving the Sabres the best chance to win every night I don't see why you'd arbitrarily send him to the A.

Let his play dictate what his development needs. Right now, he looks the part of NHL goaltender.

I had an image of people in Sabres gear throwing someone into a volcano.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think it is all about the mental and physical adaptation to a heavier workload.

View attachment 685726
Levi has not had the opportunity to play 50+ games in a season pretty much ever. Having the capacity to handle that level of work takes some time to develop.

So, that is why I think Levi needs to be a workhorse #1 goalie next season. And given that the Sabres should be looking to make the playoffs next season, it is risky to expect Levi to be able to handle that next season.

It's less about the technical parts of the game and stopping pro level shots. His 5 games so far show that he has that stuff unless shooters get a book on him and he's getting by on a lack of a pre-scout on him.

Good post, though Levi may hit 42 games this year!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Good post, though Levi may hit 42 games this year!
And the last time I checked, 42 < 50.

;)

We have seen Owen Power have to work through that heavier than usual workload. That is something that Levi will have to learn.

If the Sabres are to make the playoffs next year, it will not be ideal having their #1 goalie working through that at the first time in his career.

And I do not believe trying to develop Levi as the #2 in the NHL is the best path forward.

MGIII

Legendary
Jun 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Playing him (and everybody a part of this final sprint) every game until the Sabres are no longer in it only makes sense. Play the hot hand and the competitors that are keeping you in that position, barring injury (and even then, they're trotting an obviously hurt Thompson out there).

The results of this season do not need to earmark a certain number of games Levi plays next season. The results of off-season and training camp and preseason should be the determinant factors while keeping this sample size in mind.

October decisions don't need to be made in April.

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
it's conventional conservative trajectory of elongated goalie development

But ain't no experience like desperate playoff race experience for a young goalie, and he's clearly showing he rises to the occasion of playing at the highest level - and relishes the opportunity.

no need to take Rochester out of the equation absolutely, maybe he has a rough patch and needs to take some time down next season. But he's proving himself night in and night out, makes no sense to arbitrarily guard rail his growth and career if he's by far your best performing goaltender.
This is absolutely where I am with him as well. You do what's best for him. Maybe what's best for him is to spend time in Rochester. Maybe what's best for him is to be the 1A in Buffalo, or maybe anywhere in-between. It's not responsible to just arbitrarily send him down because that's conventional wisdom. He's already proven that the assumed developmental path may not be the best thing for him.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
This is absolutely where I am with him as well. You do what's best for him. Maybe what's best for him is to spend time in Rochester. Maybe what's best for him is to be the 1A in Buffalo, or maybe anywhere in-between. It's not responsible to just arbitrarily send him down because that's conventional wisdom. He's already proven that the assumed developmental path may not be the best thing for him.
Exactly. Let his play and off-season dictate that plan. Don't just send him down because that's what you do with young players.

Thankfully, the Sabres management seems like they have a good handle on where players are in their development paths and act accordingly. I have no doubt Levi will be treated the same.

Also, imagine if you will, the Sabres make the playoffs THIS YEAR, largely on the back of Levi. He's ostensibly your playoff starter. What if they go on a run? You are going to send that guy down because of "development?"

That's obviously a very, very rosey scenario, and one I think we'd all be more than happy with, but my point remains.

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
Exactly. Let his play and off-season dictate that plan. Don't just send him down because that's what you do with young players.

Thankfully, the Sabres management seems like they have a good handle on where players are in their development paths and act accordingly. I have no doubt Levi will be treated the same.

Also, imagine if you will, the Sabres make the playoffs THIS YEAR, largely on the back of Levi. He's ostensibly your playoff starter. What if they go on a run? You are going to send that guy down because of "development?"

That's obviously a very, very rosey scenario, and one I think we'd all be more than happy with, but my point remains.
Indeed. I understand the point that's being made about him needing time in Rochester for conditioning and I do agree that's a fine path as well. I'd also be fine if they signed another goalie to platoon with UPL next year and if things go well, don't see Levi at all until the following season. I just don't want them to pigeon-hole a decision based on an idea and not Levi himself.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
And the last time I checked, 42 < 50.

;)

We have seen Owen Power have to work through that heavier than usual workload. That is something that Levi will have to learn.

If the Sabres are to make the playoffs next year, it will not be ideal having their #1 goalie working through that at the first time in his career.

And I do not believe trying to develop Levi as the #2 in the NHL is the best path forward.

There’s no doubt he’d have to work up to a larger case load and there would be struggles. and I agree he can’t be a backup in the NHL.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

He hasn't proven anything. He's proven he can play well over a very short sample size. UPL played better in the NHL last year than he did the AHL. He played well over short stretches this year. However, as time as worn on, his game eroded or NHL shooters got the book on him and adjusted. Mika Noronen stood on his head for 2 months in the fall of 2003 and was out of the NHL by 2007. I get he comes with a pedigree from his stellar college career, but you can essentially flush all of that down the toilet now. The NCAA isn't the NHL.

There are alot of circumstances that can end with Levi as the starter BEFORE the season is over next year. What shouldn't happen is the Sabres go into next year so bereft of goalie talent he's the default 1A because Adams and Co sat on their hands in goal, again. The PLAN should be a veteran goalie, one of UPL/Comrie backs up the vet, Levi soaking up the AHL starts. At least go in with the plan he plays the year in the AHL.

There will undoubtedly be an opportunity for him to grab hold of the starters reigns in the NHL at some point. Injuries are going to happen, or maybe he'll play so well in the AHL he will have earned a look. Or maybe the NHL goalies we have will be subpar. It doesn't matter. At some point, he will get a look next year if he plays well.

What matters is that the front office don't come back next year with the trio of UPL/Comrie/Levi and just default to having a 21 year old being your #1 goalie because the other options are all terrible.

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
He hasn't proven anything. He's proven he can play well over a very short sample size. UPL played better in the NHL last year than he did the AHL. He played well over short stretches this year. However, as time as worn on, his game eroded or NHL shooters got the book on him and adjusted. Mika Noronen stood on his head for 2 months in the fall of 2003 and was out of the NHL by 2007. I get he comes with a pedigree from his stellar college career, but you can essentially flush all of that down the toilet now. The NCAA isn't the NHL.

There are alot of circumstances that can end with Levi as the starter BEFORE the season is over next year. What shouldn't happen is the Sabres go into next year so bereft of goalie talent he's the default 1A because Adams and Co sat on their hands in goal, again. The PLAN should be a veteran goalie, one of UPL/Comrie backs up the vet, Levi soaking up the AHL starts. At least go in with the plan he plays the year in the AHL.

There will undoubtedly be an opportunity for him to grab hold of the starters reigns in the NHL at some point. Injuries are going to happen, or maybe he'll play so well in the AHL he will have earned a look. Or maybe the NHL goalies we have will be subpar. It doesn't matter. At some point, he will get a look next year if he plays well.

What matters is that the front office don't come back next year with the trio of UPL/Comrie/Levi and just default to having a 21 year old being your #1 goalie because the other options are all terrible.
He hasn't proven it at the NHL level, of course. I was referring to his whole career to this point. He's done interviews that essentially showed his willingness to do what's right for him, even if it's not the "accepted method." My point was, the usual methods might not be best for him. We really don't know at this point.

On your point about the organization on a whole, and the goaltending situation, I do agree with you. I'd much prefer them look into other options at the NHL level while giving Levi and the team the flexibility to develop where it's best for him. (Wherever that is) The difference I think in our views is that I'm not just going to put him in the AHL because that's what was done before. If that's what's best for him specifically and the organization, then I'm all for it. If there's another path that works better for both parties, I'm ok with that too.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Indeed. I understand the point that's being made about him needing time in Rochester for conditioning and I do agree that's a fine path as well. I'd also be fine if they signed another goalie to platoon with UPL next year and if things go well, don't see Levi at all until the following season. I just don't want them to pigeon-hole a decision based on an idea and not Levi himself.
If they are trading I think UPL is the likely candidate to move in a deal over Comrie.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I had zero doubt in my mind once Levi signed he was going to be a Sabre and never look back. And that prediction was right. He's the #1 next year period ainec. Doesn't mean we don't need a solid 1B who can start 30 games. UPL and Comrie need to GO.

Reactions: aqsw

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I feel like Levi needs starts. So, planning on him being the #2 Buffalo does not seem like a great plan to me.
Eh 1A, 1B maybe. Little extra rest down the stretch. I guess the problem would be who is that 1B. Maybe UPL but that would be a surprise. An established vet would be relatively costly and probably not looking to share the net. And an unknown would be an unknown. So yeah I suppose the only way to be sure is get that vet and have Levi called up for injuries.

On the other hand, he wouldn't be the first starting goalie to break into the league as a backup without ever playing 60 or so games.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I had zero doubt in my mind once Levi signed he was going to be a Sabre and never look back. And that prediction was right. He's the #1 next year period ainec. Doesn't mean we don't need a solid 1B who can start 30 games. UPL and Comrie need to GO.
Expecting Levi to have ~50 starts in the NHL and remain consistent is a fools errand.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
This kid clearly likes to be pushed. High expectations, high competition = motivation for him to be better.

I’d be very tempted to trade for a legit goalie to push him for a whole season. Even if we overpay.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
If the goal is to make the playoffs every season starting next, I don’t see any reason to wait for UPL to figure It out. His play and numbers this season have been downright comical, not to mention the team does not seem comfortable in front of him.

Levi is the goalie of the future. Finding a veteran who can help him stay fresh and focused should be the #1 priority, not trying to develop UPL into a backup. Cut bait, recoup some assets, and find a steady reliable option to pair with your budding superstar.

My whole argument on ditching UPL is that I don’t think he is the best compliment for Levi, and brings inconsistency into the tandem.

Send Comrie to the AHL or trade him also.

Reactions: aqsw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad