Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Expecting Levi to have ~50 starts in the NHL and remain consistent is a fools errand.
I like the mentality that a lot of starts would benefit a player as they get older and not younger. If anyone can physically handle a large workload it's going to be the younger in prime athlete.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Why? Also why are you expecting him not to remain consistent?
Rookies by nature are inconsistent, Power, Quinn and JJ have been inconsistent this year, a goalie slump is not really something you can try and play though in the NHL like a normal skater can.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
I was in NYC yesterday for work and shotgunned an extra night to catch the Devils game where I was lucky enough to meet and spend some time chatting with the Levi's.

I was in the lower bowl but the opposite side of the ice, so I wandered to the Sabres side for warm ups. It was me and maybe a dozen Sabres fans or less. I notice the woman in front of me has a blue 27 jersey on. I politely wave and say "Welcome to NJ Mrs. Levi. Your son is maybe my favorite person in the city right now" Mr. Levi walked up behind me and chimed in with "He is her favorite person in the city too".

We talked for maybe 10-15 minutes. They were remarkably kind and down to earth people. They love Buffalo. Levi is loving Buffalo and the guys in the locker room. They raved about the people. They don't anticipate Levi switches his jersey number. It hasn't come up once in conversation. I mentioned 27 is the same as Tre's and the Tre White Goaltending Academy. They didn't know anything about it, but they loved it. They proactively said that Devon would love to do a sequel commercial with Tre and Marty. So if you see or hear anything, know where it came from!

I didn't want to blow up their spot so we had a pretty casual conversation, but it was funny; more than a few Sabres fans while walking past commented about how they (the parents) bought Levi jerseys as if the parents were just normal Sabres fans.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Rookies by nature are inconsistent, Power, Quinn and JJ have been inconsistent this year, a goalie slump is not really something you can try and play though in the NHL like a normal skater can.
I didn't see Power slumping, bad game? Yes, long stretches? No,. Rookie goalies perform very well without slumping. UPL is a rookie and he got better as the season went on and never had a slump. He wasn't great to begin with but he never had a slump.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Everyone keeps bringing up Ron Hextall when they think of #27 for a goalie - and he is a legend - but my somewhat old ass thinks of Gilles Meloche first.

1681313515666.png

1681313544357.png

1681313788924.png

Just adding that I love a couple of these pics were taken by Martin Brodeur's father.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Everyone keeps bringing up Ron Hextall when they think of #27 for a goalie - and he is a legend - but my somewhat old ass thinks of Gilles Meloche first.

View attachment 686670
View attachment 686671
View attachment 686676

Just adding that I love a couple of these pics were taken by Martin Brodeur's father.
I always think of Meloche before Hextall. he was a Flyer, for Christ sake. I wore a home Golden Seals jersey in HS, and it was in honor of Meloche.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Funny reading all these crazy takes...the proven development path is for Levi to play a year in the AHL and improve. Much higher caliber goalie prospects (Askarov, Wallstedt. Wolf) are also taking that path. A 3.09GAA and a .900 save percentage will look pretty poor in a month of NHL regular season...kid need times in the AHL to learn the pro game.

Reactions: Jacob582

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I didn't see Power slumping, bad game? Yes, long stretches? No,. Rookie goalies perform very well without slumping. UPL is a rookie and he got better as the season went on and never had a slump. He wasn't great to begin with but he never had a slump.
Eh, my eye test for Power was different. After roughly the February break he regularly looked noticeably slower / weaker / fatigued. Definitely lacked "jump" and "burst" which was there earlier in the season. Seemed to rebound toward the end, similar to the rest of the Sabres during their playoff push. I don't know if that was related to lugging Joker around the ice when Henri went over a cliff like an Acme anvil (#10) tied to the Roadrunner (#25). Whether my opinion is valid or not, I think re: Levi that BUF should pursue a legit #1A/#1B to pair with him. Some have suggested Saros, of which I'm supportive. If it's one of UPL / Comrie, I think Comrie is the less risky option, but still a question mark.

Reactions: HOOats and Zman5778

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Eh, my eye test for Power was different. After roughly the February break he regularly looked noticeably slower / weaker / fatigued. Definitely lacked "jump" and "burst" which was there earlier in the season. Seemed to rebound toward the end, similar to the rest of the Sabres during their playoff push. I don't know if that was related to lugging Joker around the ice when Henri went over a cliff like an Acme anvil (#10) tied to the Roadrunner (#25). Whether my opinion is valid or not, I think re: Levi that BUF should pursue a legit #1A/#1B to pair with him. Some have suggested Saros, of which I'm supportive. If it's one of UPL / Comrie, I think Comrie is the less risky option, but still a question mark.
Bringing in a starting goalie which the sabres have failed to do for 10 years means giving up on UPL(Which is fine but is Adams ready to do that?) It also means giving up a 1st and a high end prospect and for someone like Saros probably 2 1sts and a prospect or 1st and 2 high end prospects.

Just trying to be realistic on what I see happening.
Funny reading all these crazy takes...the proven development path is for Levi to play a year in the AHL and improve. Much higher caliber goalie prospects (Askarov, Wallstedt. Wolf) are also taking that path. A 3.09GAA and a .900 save percentage will look pretty poor in a month of NHL regular season...kid need times in the AHL to learn the pro game.
It would also be a crazy take if you said Levi would sign and play 5 straight games including back to back starts. You would probably be laughed at. From my understand Levi said he would sign knowing he could skip the AHL. That was from Dregger so take it for what its worth. I think its realistic so see Levi in the NHL next year it matches everything Adams has preached about the team growing together.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Bringing in a starting goalie which the sabres have failed to do for 10 years means giving up on UPL(Which is fine but is Adams ready to do that?) It also means giving up a 1st and a high end prospect and for someone like Saros probably 2 1sts and a prospect or 1st and 2 high end prospects.

It would also be a crazy take if you said Levi would sign and play 5 straight games including back to back starts. You would probably be laughed at. From my understand Levi said he would sign knowing he could skip the AHL. That was from Dregger so take it for what its worth. I think its realistic so see Levi in the NHL next year it matches everything Adams has preached about the team growing together.
I assume any trade for a non-UFA goalie like Saros involved either of Comrie / UPL going back to the Preds (another team). But your point about the Sabres needing to add remains, but likely (hopefully?) not as much as you envision (i.e., one 1st, not two).

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

Odds are that Levis agent had some leverage and required the Sabres to play him a few games to burn a year of his ELC or else he wouldn't have signed the deal. Its usually how negotiations go.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Odds are that Levis agent had some leverage and required the Sabres to play him a few games to burn a year of his ELC or else he wouldn't have signed the deal. Its usually how negotiations go.
He only has to play one game so your statement about a few is false and playing back to back games is unique for a goalie in his situation.

I assume any trade for a non-UFA goalie like Saros involved either of Comrie / UPL going back to the Preds (another team). But your point about the Sabres needing to add remains, but likely (hopefully?) not as much as you envision (i.e., one 1st, not two).
Lehner cost a 1st, Schneider cost 1st you think you gonna get Saros for just 1 1st rounder? Comrie holds no value going back the other way and I can't imagine UPL having more than 2nd round value tops. Saros is one of the best goalies in the league they aren't going to let him go for a 1st and a small prospect. Its gonna take Savoie or Kulich.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
He only has to play one game so your statement about a few is false and playing back to back games is unique for a goalie in his situation.

Lehner cost a 1st, Schneider cost 1st you think you gonna get Saros for just 1 1st rounder? Comrie holds no value going back the other way and I can't imagine UPL having more than 2nd round value tops. Saros is one of the best goalies in the league they aren't going to let him go for a 1st and a small prospect. Its gonna take Savoie or Kulich.
He only HAD to play one game to burn a year of his ELC but probably was told he would get a few games. Bottom line is he should be in the AHL next season.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He only HAD to play one game to burn a year of his ELC but probably was told he would get a few games. Bottom line is he should be in the AHL next season.
You are still trying to squeeze into some sort of narrative to suit your needs. No one saw him playing 5 straight games and back to back but I guess you did right.

We he should play should be up to Levi and the sabres not you and I.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I should have been clearer. A prospect, yes, regardless, but not also two firsts with UPL or Comrie going back the other way.

Lehner was an acknowledged overpayment, but fair to use. Schneider I'll give you no quibbling. That's your 1st rounder.

Your prior post:
or someone like Saros probably 2 1sts and a prospect or 1st and 2 high end prospects.

In a trade involving Kulich, 1st, Sabre goalie for Saros, Kulich is the most valuable piece going back. I don't think BUF needs to adds a 4th piece to that.

Same as above but swap Savoie for Kulich still likely has Savoie worth more than the Sabres 1st as well, and Sabres don't need to add a 4th piece.

NSH has Lankinen. Comrie has *some* value going back the other way (I disagree he has zero value).

I suppose I don't think Saros is worth as much incrementally above Lehner / Schneider at the time of their trades as you do.
I will grant a BUF trade package for Saros would need to beat out other NHL clubs in a league where there aren't 32 NHL caliber starting goalies.
To me, that's what drives up the cost.
But the value going back from BUF in a 1st, one of Kulich/Savoie, and one of Comrie/UPL is, IMO, very fair for Saros, especially when adjusted for future cost-control by NSH.

We'll see if/how it plays out... I think we both agree it would be great if it happened.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Thinking back to when a lot of us hated the return on the Sam Reinhart trade.

Edit: also thinking back to how many of us were perplexed at not selecting Cossa or Wallstedt.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

UPL was not consistent this season, he had 2 rough starts to start the season then found a groove from december through january where people were calling him the starter and then became a primary factor for why the team half imploded in february

17 games from dec 1 v col to jan 28 a minny he had 4 games out of 17 giving up 4+ goals
14 starts the rest of the season he did it 10 times

now i wouldnt call that a slump id say he peaked around christmas

UPL's christmas actually looked a lot like devon levi's numbers

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
If Devon is inspiring more kids to meditate that’s a great thing! Everybody should

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't get the inclination to pigeon hole his role. Ultimately his play will decide where and when he plays moreso than anything else.
Not when the other goalie options are total shit.

What Adams does, or doesn’t do again, at the position will decide what happens. Right now he has zero competition and we’ve already seen, in no uncertain terms, what they think of Comrie and UPL in important games.

They walk into the offseason with no choice but to play Levi a lot whether he’s ready or not…whether he struggles or not. If they walk out of it the same way they risk more than “just” another wasted season

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I love Levi but he 100% needs to start next season in Rochester IMO. People will be pissed but you cannot screw this up with him. If he is wrecking Rochester 30 games in the season call him back up.

Cannot start next year with him as our best goalie option. Teams will get the book on him and he will get exposed, happens to everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad