Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015

What last night shows is that Levi now is similar to what Miller was like his first year pro in that some starts were great and some were not great.
That’s exactly my point. Regardless, doubtful we would’ve had a better result with the other two guys. Levi’s poise is well beyond his years

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Levi's interviews are a joy to watch. I can remember watching Miller's interviews his last year with the Sabres. Never change D-von, never change.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Levi:

After 3 games he is 2-1 with 3.23 GAA and .901 Sv%. That looks like a Sabres goaltender to me! :P

PLEASE GOD MAKE KA AND DG FIX THE DEFENSE THIS OFFSEASON!!!!!

Honestly, he definitely has that "it" factor. He clearly has more athleticism than UPL or Comrie, and his mental processing and anticipation are at a higher level. His technique is more polished than UPL. Can't say more than Comrie who is more polished than he gets credit for.

My concerns so far is:

1. Rebounds. He gives up allot of rebounds. He has alot of pucks hit him and kick out 15-20 feet into potentially bad areas. When teams get the book on him they will start using this.

2. Puck stickyness. He has alot of pucks hit him and then drop to the ground in from of him where he then tries to cover it up. Might get away with that in college, but its going to bite in the NHL.

3. Over aggressive at times leaving big gaping open nets if he gets passed around.

I have seen enough to be excited about his future as a G1 in the NHL, which is something I have never felt watching UPL. That said, I have also seen enough that needs to be worked on to say that I want him to go to the AHL next year. Own that net and carry them to the Calder. Likely get some injury callup NHL games. Work some on these issues and get fine tuned for the full NHL introduction. By then maybe the Sabres will have the D figured out.

Sabres need to get a legit 1G on a 1-3 year contract thru trade or UFA. Don't care how, just get one. Keep Comrie or UPL, depending on which you think will fit the defense YOU WILL be installing next year, and the trade value you can extract. Levi moves up the year after.

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I don't know if anyone listen's to Merek's podcast/radio show, but he was really laying into Granato for starting Levi, saying the locker room must be really pissed off when they're in a playoff race. The guy who he was speaking with fully agreed that it was an awful move by Granato.

Is anyone else following this logic? Are these guys familiar with the other Buffalo goalies? Are they overrating them? Am I underrating them?

(I also posted this Q in the main)
Its the most obvious thing to say; and they were wrong

(I just saw by another poster that the podcast said "goalies" not "locker room" as you mentioned, which is quite a significant difference)

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Levi:

After 3 games he is 2-1 with 3.23 GAA and .901 Sv%. That looks like a Sabres goaltender to me! :P

PLEASE GOD MAKE KA AND DG FIX THE DEFENSE THIS OFFSEASON!!!!!

Honestly, he definitely has that "it" factor. He clearly has more athleticism than UPL or Comrie, and his mental processing and anticipation are at a higher level. His technique is more polished than UPL. Can't say more than Comrie who is more polished than he gets credit for.

My concerns so far is:

1. Rebounds. He gives up allot of rebounds. He has alot of pucks hit him and kick out 15-20 feet into potentially bad areas. When teams get the book on him they will start using this.

2. Puck stickyness. He has alot of pucks hit him and then drop to the ground in from of him where he then tries to cover it up. Might get away with that in college, but its going to bite in the NHL.

3. Over aggressive at times leaving big gaping open nets if he gets passed around.

I have seen enough to be excited about his future as a G1 in the NHL, which is something I have never felt watching UPL. That said, I have also seen enough that needs to be worked on to say that I want him to go to the AHL next year. Own that net and carry them to the Calder. Likely get some injury callup NHL games. Work some of these issues and get fine tuned for the full NHL introduction. By then maybe the Sabres will have the D figured out.

Sabres need to get a legit 1G on a 1-3 year contract thru trade or UFA. Don't care how, just get one. Keep Comrie or UPL, depending on which you think will fit the defense YOU WILL be installing next year, and the trade value you can extract. Levi moves up the year after.
a bit harsh.. 6,7 of 12? goals hes let in are clearly some of the worst deflections , puck weirdness and bad giveaways to start a career I've seen.. He's quite a bit better than that 901 sv %

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The percentage of this deflections and puck weirdness that go in will be higher when you are a small goalie. Especially one who is behind a team that doesn’t clear out the front of the net

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
a bit harsh.. 6,7 of 12? goals hes let in are clearly some of the worst deflections , puck weirdness and bad giveaways to start a career I've seen.. He's quite a bit better than that 901 sv %
Well, please take into account the sarcasm in the first sentence, thus the sticking out tongue face. The rest I stand by. I am looking for a properly developed solution in net for the next 10-15 years. I believe being a little more patient in the development phase here will be the best path to making that happen at the highest level possible. No team in the NHL tries to fast track prospects into NHL solutions for their roster problems more than the Buffalo Sabres. That history has as much failure as success, and some we may never know if they would have reached a higher level of success if they were slow cooked vs fast tracked. Its not like you have three of them waiting in the wings. You got ONE. Don't screw it up.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Well, please take into account the sarcasm in the first sentence, thus the sticking out tongue face. The rest I stand by. I am looking for a properly developed solution in net for the next 10-15 years. I believe being a little more patient in the development phase here will be the best path to making that happen at the highest level possible. No team in the NHL tries to fast track prospects into NHL solutions for their roster problems more than the Buffalo Sabres. That history has as much failure as success, and some we may never know if they would have reached a higher level of success if they were slow cooked vs fast tracked. Its not like you have three of them waiting in the wings. You got ONE. Don't screw it up.
binnington is a cautionary tale, that backs you up .

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
No way we see him in the AHL starting next year. I would be shocked.

I think they see him as the starter next year or split 30-40 games.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
No way we see him in the AHL starting next year. I would be shocked.

I think they see him as the starter next year or split 30-40 games.
I was one that said there was no way that they should start him in the NHL next year.

But now with the coaches starting him 3 straight games in this final playoff push there's no way I see them sending him down.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This stat is crazy

SmartSelect_20230408_165123_Instagram.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad