Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
I am very strongly in the camp of Levi needs to start in the AHL next year…but Levi is going to f*** that up by playing awesome down the stretch isn’t he?

It’s absolutely good practice generally, no debate. But maybe this guy’s a legitimate exception

I'm starting to think G2 Levi is possible in 23-24...

I agree, I’d like to develop him “properly”, but he’s going to make that real tough.

The real tough part is going to be getting another legitimate G1 in house. We’ll need somebody to spell Levi for stretches as he learns to get up to speed of the 82 game season.

What legitimate G1 wants to come knowing they may never play the majority of games.

aqsw

PM
Sponsor
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
I think you start Levi g1 at 66% and Comrie G2 at 33%

Upl in the minors to get the games. You have a better tandem and probably make the playoffs. 24-25 you have your G1 Levi and G2 UPL for years to come.

JMO

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005

Upl in the minors to get the games. You have a better tandem and probably make the playoffs. 24-25 you have your G1 Levi and G2 UPL for years to come.

JMO
UPL won't make it to the minors

how does anyone not understand this? Unless you think he doesn't need to go through waivers? If that's the reason......he does need to go through waivers

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

JMO
Levi will burnout with that workload this early

thomas vanek

Sep 19, 2005
With all due respect to the old school thinkers who say he needs to spend a year or more in Rochester...

A) no, he doesn't
B) it's not happening
C) he will give them a better chance to win than anybody they can sign in free agency or *realistically* trade for

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
With all due respect to the old school thinkers who say he needs to spend a year or more in Rochester...

A) no, he doesn't
B) it's not happening
C) he will give them a better chance to win than anybody they can sign in free agency or *realistically* trade for
It will be curious to see what Levi himself wants to do. If history holds, he may very well WANT to play a year in the AHL, having it be HIS team, starting almost every game, and trying to win a Calder Cup. He has talked before about not being in a hurry to skip the process.

Also, once he gets done with this season and has 4-6 NHL games to review, he may very well have a long list of things he wants to work on before taking the NHL crease fulltime. For example, his rebound control has not been great. Noone has the book on him yet, but teams will start playing for those freebee open net rebounds.

Its exciting, and he looks like hes got it. So lets not Buffalo it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

JMO

Levi should be in the minors next year barring injury

UPL won't make it to the minors

how does anyone not understand this? Unless you think he doesn't need to go through waivers? If that's the reason......he does need to go through waivers

UPL is the kindof tweener goalie that goes through waivers and only gets claimed if someone has a goalie injury.

Why would you want an inconsistent developmental goalie as your backup?

It's rare for teams to carry 3 goalies.

I think UPL gets moved to a team like Chicago this summer who has no real goals next season and can take a low risk goalie on.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I tend to agree with you. While I think there's a remote chance that Levi is built differently than most.......it certainly feels like we're rushing things.
I don't think playing him now in as many games could have any negative impact; throwing him in next season is a totally different story

Last edited:

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I think I’ve come around to Levi getting NHL games only if you can snag a proven 1A to play with him.

Every goalie brought into the league early has struggled except Carey Price, MAF, and Steve Mason in 2000

The common denominator of teams that have a struggling young goalie is the fact that they have nothing behind or in front of him to carry the load.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad