Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
How many guys play 50 more games in the AHL? The schedule there is terrible so its tough to get a lot of games in for a goalie.

Someone like Oettinger played 38 games and then the next year in the NHL played 29. Vasilevskiy split time in his first two years between AHL and NHL, never playing more than 30 in AHL. Shesterkin played 25 games while splitting time. Sorokin never played in AHL. Saros played 38 games before splitting time in NHL.

Look at the other younger goalies: Hart 18 games, Knight 11 games, Swayman 14 games between two years.

This narrative of the AHL being some development league for goalies is wild to me.
There are currently 5 goalies in the AHL this season that have already eclipsed 40 games, Dustin Wolf has 51 thus far. Last year 10 players eclipsed 40 games Connor Ingram was the league leader with 54 games. Ullmark played 55 games for Roch in 16-17. 45-55 Games seems to be the average for an AHL starter.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think the cautionary tale for rushing Levi is on the team we're playing against: Spencer Knight. Panthers definitely rushed him. Whether he'll become the franchise goalie they expect is a question mark right now, so we'll see how he looks once he completes the player assistance program.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Regardless of how he performs in these coming games, we still absolutely need to get another goalie and we should not bank on Levi for next year.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
Regardless of how he performs in these coming games, we still absolutely need to get another goalie and we should not bank on Levi for next year.
I'm not sure about this.. I think Luu has done enough to be the G1 favorite.

Ideally, unless Levi goes off in his 3-4 starts he should be the number 1 in Rochester.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm not sure about this.. I think Luu has done enough to be the G1 favorite.

Ideally, unless Levi goes off in his 3-4 starts he should be the number 1 in Rochester.
By Luu surely you don't mean UPL?

3.58 GAA
0.892 S%

It's not good enough. If UPL/Comrie is the duo again next season, a mistake has been made.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
good-luck400.jpg

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
By Luu surely you don't mean UPL?

3.58 GAA
0.892 S%

It's not good enough. If UPL/Comrie is the duo again next season, a mistake has been made.
Defense did him no favors early. His progression over the season has stood out to me. I'm comfortable with Luu and Comrie in Buffalo with Levi needing to show alot to take a spot.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
How many guys play 50 more games in the AHL? The schedule there is terrible so its tough to get a lot of games in for a goalie.

Someone like Oettinger played 38 games and then the next year in the NHL played 29. Vasilevskiy split time in his first two years between AHL and NHL, never playing more than 30 in AHL. Shesterkin played 25 games while splitting time. Sorokin never played in AHL. Saros played 38 games before splitting time in NHL.

Look at the other younger goalies: Hart 18 games, Knight 11 games, Swayman 14 games between two years.

This narrative of the AHL being some development league for goalies is wild to me.

Vasi had 38 games in the KHL before his 37 in the AHL. That's two full years of men's league development.
Saros had 47 games in a men's leage (Liiga) before his 39 AHL games. That's two full years of men's league development.
Sorokin had -- guess what? -- 184 KHL games -- FIVE full men's league seasons (KHL)
Shesterkin had -- guess what? -- THREE full men's league seasons (KHL)
Hart hasn't come close to reaching his potential, possibly because Philly rushed him.
Knight is back down in the AHL and currently in the players' assistance program. Maybe they're not related, maybe the are.
Swayman is playing behind a stupidly good defensive team.

The ONLY valid outlier you've cited here is Oettinger.....but even he played a whole season in the AHL.

The point is also flying by your head. It's not that the AHL is some development league. It's that young goalies often need years of experience in a men's league (Liiga, SHL, KHL, AHL) before succeeding at the NHL level.

Reactions: Chainshot

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Comfortable with
Defense did him no favors early. His progression over the season has stood out to me. I'm comfortable with Luu and Comrie in Buffalo with Levi needing to show alot to take a spot.
Comrie and UPL? Is that you Kevyn?

On second thought, I hope not

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Vasi had 38 games in the KHL before his 37 in the AHL. That's two full years of men's league development.
Saros had 47 games in a men's leage (Liiga) before his 39 AHL games. That's two full years of men's league development.
Sorokin had -- guess what? -- 184 KHL games -- FIVE full men's league seasons (KHL)
Shesterkin had -- guess what? -- THREE full men's league seasons (KHL)
Hart hasn't come close to reaching his potential, possibly because Philly rushed him.
Knight is back down in the AHL and currently in the players' assistance program. Maybe they're not related, maybe the are.
Swayman is playing behind a stupidly good defensive team.

The ONLY valid outlier you've cited here is Oettinger.....but even he played a whole season in the AHL.

The point is also flying by your head. It's not that the AHL is some development league. It's that young goalies often need years of experience in a men's league (Liiga, SHL, KHL, AHL) before succeeding at the NHL level.
Well said.

Levi has me thinking there's a slight chance he can play 1B next year, and even me writing that sounds crazy.

It's just an incredibly difficult jump in part because the workload is much more intense.

I <3 the kid's attitude, though. You love to see that in a young player, especially a young goalie since a bad game from a goalie can severly impact the team.

Reactions: Zman5778

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I'm not saying the kid is going to come in and be a vezina candidate next year, but he has an NHL skillset right now. The game is not too fast for him. His positioning and reflexes are better than I've seen from a young goaltender in quite some time.

He has a very unique skillset that makes it hard to draw comparisons.

Reactions: aqsw

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
If this wasn't the toughest test for the kid, and despite losing, that fluke goal that bounced off the post, off his arm and in... I don't think he needs Roch time. He will do just fine up here.

Now what number will he be? depends on what KA does.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'm starting to think G2 Levi is possible in 23-24...

I’m agreeing. Dude looked unflappable and very technically sound. The season length and the wear and tear are matters to consider, but the way he’s looked- he needs to be in the conversation. He’s got a “I’m ready” attitude I hope management mirrors- I know goalies are supposed to be handled with caution, but everyone is different and this dude seems like he can go starting yesterday. If he stumbles, react quickly, but I see no reason why he shouldn’t get a chance to show more with the big club next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad