Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Get Power a legit pairing, and the Sabres defense could become a strength next year. Buffalo might be a better place for a goalie than in Rochester. Wasn’t that the case with Ullmark? He did significantly better in the NHL during his rookie year where he split time
I hadn't thought of that. It's a very good point. Especially, if we acquire a reliable goalie to distribute the pressure.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Levi should be in the minors next year barring injury

UPL is the kindof tweener goalie that goes through waivers and only gets claimed if someone has a goalie injury.

Why would you want an inconsistent developmental goalie as your backup?

It's rare for teams to carry 3 goalies.

I think UPL gets moved to a team like Chicago this summer who has no real goals next season and can take a low risk goalie on.
If Levi is in the minors, I see BUF running UPL and Comrie. I don't see them successfully landing another bona-fide NHL-level vet goalie.

Let's remember Adams was trying to keep Ullmark, it just dragged out so long all the other NHL goalies were taken by the time Ullmark decided.
Levinator
Levitator - he lifts them in the standings.

=============
If the Sabres do plan on Levi being up in the NHL next season (and I agree Levi will have a say in that), do any of you think the vet goalie BUF retains to play with him (Comrie or UPL) will be the one with whom Levi meshes better?

Personally, I think Comrie has had some great games, and has been hung out to dry in others.
You could say the same for UPL, but I think if they move a goalie out because they want Levi up in BUF next season, they'll move UPL over Comrie.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Levitator - he lifts them in the standings.
73eee32efaba841f2b2d8da12b7f1b67.jpg

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't know if anyone listen's to Merek's podcast/radio show, but he was really laying into Granato for starting Levi, saying the locker room must be really pissed off when they're in a playoff race. The guy who he was speaking with fully agreed that it was an awful move by Granato.

Is anyone else following this logic? Are these guys familiar with the other Buffalo goalies? Are they overrating them? Am I underrating them?

(I also posted this Q in the main)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
And when he has a bad game Devon Levee!

Levee's are only bad if they break. So you could say "The Levi (Levee) Broke". Otherwise, levee's are specifically designed to hold the water out - "an embankment built to prevent the overflow of a river". The name is perfect for a Sabres goalie - he is built to hold back the deluge of pucks.

Still, someone can post this if they want to rub it in when he has a bad game...

I don't know if anyone listen's to Merek's podcast/radio show, but he was really laying into Granato for starting Levi, saying the locker room must be really pissed off when they're in a playoff race. The guy who he was speaking with fully agreed that it was an awful move by Granato.

Is anyone else following this logic? Are these guys familiar with the other Buffalo goalies? Are they overrating them? Am I underrating them?

If we listened to the same podcast (the one posted here) I didn't hear them say the locker room was "pissed off" - I just heard Marek and Friedman speculate how the other goalies must have felt - that they'd be outwardly supportive but personally frustrated they didn't get the call in a critical game. Unless there was another mention somewhere else by Marek.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

Anybody paying attention would know Levi gives the Sabres the best chance to win right now. I’m sure the locker room feels that way too (because they have eyes and can see the difference in performance).

Reactions: ceky and Willgamesh

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Levee's are only bad if they break. So you could say "The Levi (Levee) Broke". Otherwise, levee's are specifically designed to hold the water out - "an embankment built to prevent the overflow of a river". The name is perfect for a Sabres goalie - he is built to hold back the deluge of pucks.

Still, someone can post this if they want to rub it in when he has a bad game...

If we listened to the same podcast (the one posted here) I didn't hear them say the locker room was "pissed off" - I just heard Marek and Friedman speculate how the other goalies must have felt - that they'd be outwardly supportive but personally frustrated they didn't get the call in a critical game. Unless there was another mention somewhere else by Marek.

That’s not the one I’m referencing. It was with someone else (Westgarth I think?). Definitely not the Friedmann one. They really hammered Granato.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
According to this, the most common nicknames for Levi are Evi, Lee, Lev, Vie, and Vivi.

Though I doubt those are the same type of nicknames.

Hockey players are simple, take a last name and add a zy so he will probably be nicknamed Levzy

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Given the locker room after his debut, I think they are going with Beeeeaaasssssttttt.
This. It's already been coined and used in the locker room. Could be an all-time great nickname if he lives up to it.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Any Sabre, whether "skater" or goalie, who thinks Granato effed up by playing Levi in a playoff race should fully understand:
1) Once Levi signed his ELC after Northeastern was finished, he was going to get an NHL start, and likely more. Any Sabre understands what the collegiate March / April signing means.
2) He won his first start and played well. That earns him at least another start (regardless of whether the plan was to give him 0 more starts or all the starts).
3) All Granato has to say is "for those who doubt me, I'm starting him because I know you guys can and will play better team defense in front of him".
4) Any Sabre with honest grasp of reality knows that UPL, Comrie, Anderson are coin flips at this point in the season. You could get a 0.940 or a 0.880 performance from either of them, regardless of how well or loose the skaters play in front of either of them.

Whomever (Marek?) was stirring the pot needs to get out of the kitchen.

Levitator
Beast
Beaster from Northeastern.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Does Marek have a single brain cell?

Granato is playing the best goalie we have in the midst of a playoff race. Adams is who should be laid into

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's amazing what Levi is doing at his age. People forget Miller's struggles early on...

What last night shows is that Levi now is similar to what Miller was like his first year pro in that some starts were great and some were not great.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Even with him giving up 6 last night, there were still a handful of shots where I found myself thinking, "that goes in if Comrie or UPL are playing." Specifically the stop he made that led to Gus' goal, that's the type of bail-out save they've so rarely gotten this year.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad