Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Not every rookie has the kind of hype and pressure that Levi is getting right now. The goalie position is a different beast. Just look at Ryan Miller literally crying in his locker while being interviewed by reporters following a blowout loss as a rookie.

There is a potential downside to throwing Levi out there, especially at home, behind this team while the team is still not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

There is upside, but there is a downside, as well.
That's fair, goalies have more pressure but I am sure when he signed he wanted NHL games and knew the team was in a run for a playoff spot. He knew what he was signing up for.

Ultimately, no one knows how the game is going to shake out or how he's going to handle it. Lets help this game is another building block to for a solid NHL goalie for the future.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Maybe, maybe not.

In my experience, saying what you would do in a theoretical situation is not always what you do when you are actually faced with that situation.

Sure - that goes with any situation. But this is what the kid wants and so far he's been spot on with what he thinks will help his development and the Sabres coaches and management seem to agree with him so based on all that I'm going to trust they're right.

You know - Levi could just end up having an awesome game and everyone is super happy. It's almost like we all expect he's going to get shelled. How much worse could he be than some of the games we've seen in the last few months from all three of our other goalies? I know it's on our "defensive system" but the kid is built different.

Even if he doesn't have the game he would like I know the kid will learn from it. Facing NHL shooters in an actual game that means something isn't something you can coach or practice or get from video. I don't think he expects to go in and shut out the Rangers. I am confident he gets it.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sure - that goes with any situation. But this is what the kid wants and so far he's been spot on with what he thinks will help his development and the Sabres coaches and management seem to agree with him so based on all that I'm going to trust they're right.

You know - Levi could just end up having an awesome game and everyone is super happy. It's almost like we all expect he's going to get shelled. How much worse could he be than some of the games we've seen in the last few months from all three of our other goalies? I know it's on our "defensive system" but the kid is built different.

Even if he doesn't have the game he would like I know the kid will learn from it. Facing NHL shooters in an actual game that means something isn't something you can coach or practice or get from video. I don't think he expects to go in and shut out the Rangers. I am confident he gets it.
I am saying that there are a wide range of outcomes. Some are good and some are bad.

To act like it is a lock that everything will be great or horrible is not looking at this fairly, IMO.

My guess is that he looks like a rookie goalie straight out of college and he shows that he needs time in Rochester to adjust to the pro game.

Sound_n_Fury

Apr 3, 2005
Whats the harm? Anything can happen.
I would have preferred waiting for Tage and Samuelsson to be healthy and back in the lineup to give him the fairest shot at a competitive team in front of him. He hasn't played since March 11 and has only had a few days of practice facing NHL shooters.

Oh well, it will be exciting to see what he can do vs. a top-flight team.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I am saying that there are a wide range of outcomes. Some are good and some are bad.

To act like it is a lock that everything will be great or horrible is not looking at this fairly, IMO.

My guess is that he looks like a rookie goalie straight out of college and he shows that he needs time in Rochester to adjust to the pro game.

I'm not disagreeing - not sure how I could. Every choice and situation pretty much has a wide range of outcomes, with some being good and some being bad. Who is saying anything is a lock?

I'm just not worried about Levi having a horrible game and it being some emotional, spiritual, and psychological setback. I know Ryan Miller cried. Doesn't mean Levi will. And even if he does, the kid is built different.

Let Levi cook and maybe he surprises us all. I know I'll be rooting for that!

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think 3, Anderson, Comrie and UPL.. I don't think anyone else played.

Not as of yet, no. Though Buffalo's record from earlier in the season of having three straight different goalies get a win was eclipsed by the Knights having four do it last week.

I would have preferred waiting for Tage and Samuelsson to be healthy and back in the lineup to give him the fairest shot at a competitive team in front of him. He hasn't played since March 11 and has only had a few days of practice facing NHL shooters.

Oh well, it will be exciting to see what he can do vs. a top-flight team.

Samuelsson is practicing today in a regular jersey, so I would think he's probably ready to go tomorrow. That should help.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Not every rookie has the kind of hype and pressure that Levi is getting right now. The goalie position is a different beast. Just look at Ryan Miller literally crying in his locker while being interviewed by reporters following a blowout loss as a rookie.

There is a potential downside to throwing Levi out there, especially at home, behind this team while the team is still not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

There is upside, but there is a downside, as well.
True, Ryan Miller did cry, and look at how terribly he turned out.

If Levi's career gets destroyed by a single bad game then he wasn't that good to begin with.

Sound_n_Fury

Apr 3, 2005
LOL. I hope Levi has a better debut than Biron and Miller did (per today's Buffalo News)

Martin Biron (16th overall, 1995)

Debut: A 6-3 loss against Pittsburgh on Dec. 26, 1995.

Stats: Allowed four goals in the first period and was replaced by Steve Shields, but returned for the third period and stopped 20 of 24 total shots.

Age (years-days): 18-133.

Ryan Miller (5th round, 1999)

Debut: A 4-3 overtime loss at New Jersey on Nov. 19, 2002.

Stats: Finished with 25 saves, but was working a shutout for 43 minutes before giving up three third-period goals and losing at 1:23 of OT on a goal by future Hall of Famer Scott Niedermayer.

Age (years-day): 22-125.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

If Levi's career gets destroyed by a single bad game then he wasn't that good to begin with.

Stepping in here for a moment - it's that Miller wasn't yet ready when that happened against the Wings, not that a bad start is going to somehow ruin someone.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
His notepad just said "Chances come from everywhere, there is no structure. What did I get myself in to?"
Levi's notepad is likely just a bunch of doodled scribbles, because nothing he sees makes any defensive sense.
Not a fan of throwing Levi in there while they are still in theoretical playoff contention. Not like any of our other guys are guaranteed to play well - but it is an unnecessary risk.

If/when we're mathematically eliminated - give him all the games you want...
Others have rebutted your view. I share their views, but I'll give a different slant to challenge your thinking. Let's say Levi was dressed as a backup as the next "baby step" of slow-walking him to his NHL debut. What if the starter (pick another Sabres goalie) gave up 2 goals on the first 4 shots 5 minutes into the game? Would you pull the veteran and throw in Levi?

If Granato is willing to pull the starter who craps the bed and play a non-Levi backup, I see no rational difference in playing Levi. By extension, and given the Jekyll-Hyde performances we've seen from the Sabres goalies this season, and the skaters outside the net, I see no difference in starting Levi.

Yeah, says something about what Adams thinks of Comrie and UPL going forward. Thankfully. Means there's hope for him bringing in a legit starter next year
No, as others have rebutted. It's part of the signing-his-NHL-deal negotiation.
I'm sure Levi was promised games if he signed. I'm not sure how anyone can be surprised if he's starting. Playoff push or not it was going to happen.

I'm excited to see the kid!
exactly.

I know I was just being a sarcastic a-hole
Thanks for filling in for my morning shift today... I got the afternoon covered.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I’m of the mind that it’s a risk worth taking if he looks capable in practice. We know our other goalies could easily lose a game for us that the team really deserves to win. If Levi looks to the coaching staff like he’s able to perform at this level, they should absolutely give him his shot.

Plus, having a rookie in net might be a shot in the arm to the rest of the team to step up their defensive efforts.
I think it is a bad choice to put him in as long as the playoffs are still within reach, even if it would take running the table. Thats a bad spot to put him in.

That said, I think the Sabres may be thinking exactly the bolded above. That the team will play stronger defensively to not hang the rookie out to dry.

My bigger concern is that the Sabres also could be trying to see if he can handle the pressure. Thats bad because if he can, they may be thinking about trying to fast track him directly into the NHL next year. Which I think would be a bad development decision.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Regarding the choice of game itself, between nyr and philly, I'm guessing rest is a legit factor.

Nyr will be on leg 2 of a back to back, which hopefully means our D can skate with their forwards better than our D on leg 2 the next day. Also, guessing we don't get shesterkin maybe increasing the potential run support.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I seriously doubt that.

They have talked glowingly about Comrie and what a good guy he is and they hung him out to dry so bad in the game that he gave up 10.

I cannot imagine that they would play harder for Levi than they did for Comrie and that somehow they are much better defensively just because they have a rookie in net.
I think they will play a bit more inspired, also they had plenty of time to practice which should benefit their structure and special teams

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Interesting, on WGR they said that 59 goalies have made their first NHL start for the Sabres and only 7 of them have won. Sheesh.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I would be stunned if Levi's career imploded because they start him tomorrow.

I just do not believe the narrative that there is no downside whatsoever to playing him tomorrow night.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Given how the goaltending has been this season, Levi might improve their odds against the Rangers who play at NJ tonight.

It's not like the Sabres are sitting a goalie that has been lights out to play Levi tomorrow.

He could also get lit up and prove emphatically that he is not ready for the NHL. I don't have a huge issue with him playing tomorrow as I do not really feel like the Sabres are in the playoff hunt still after going 3-4-3 in their last 10 games.

The Sabres have to go like 6-3-0 to jump the Pens if they go 3-5-0 the rest of the way.
While they still have a mathematical chance - they have to do EVERYTHING possible to take care of business. I don't believe throwing Levi in there represents doing that.

It almost like Adams/Granato think the future is exponentially more important than the playoff race they are currently in...

You can argue it's unlikely - but if Pittsburgh loses to both Nashville / Boston & we beat NYR... We're back to controlling our own destiny. It's not the completely hopeless situation i think many of you guys are claiming it to be.

Either way - looking at the rest of your recent posts - it seens like we see the situation similarly...

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It almost like Adams/Granato think the future is exponentially more important than the playoff race they are currently in...
They've repeated ad nauseum how the goal for this season has always been the development of the players and not the playoffs per se. They'd love to get in, sure........but this year is and has always been about development.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
While they still have a mathematical chance - they have to do EVERYTHING possible to take care of business. I don't believe throwing Levi in there represents doing that.

You can argue it's unlikely - but if Pittsburgh loses to both Nashville / Boston & we beat NYR... We're back to controlling our own destiny. It's not the completely hopeless situation i think many of you guys are claiming it to be.

Either way - looking at the rest of your recent posts - it seens like we see the situation similarly...
The future IS more important than this race. Are we really arguing that setting us up for a true cup window is less important than hoping we win 8 of our last 9 to squeek into the playoffs and get bounced by Boston?

I want the streak to end too but if I have the ability to end the streak this year OR make us contenders for the next 6-10 but miss this year, it is no contest.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The future IS more important than this race. Are we really arguing that setting us up for a true cup window is less important than hoping we win 8 of our last 9 to squeek into the playoffs and get bounced by Boston?

I want the streak to end too but if I have the ability to end the streak this year OR make us contenders for the next 6-10 but miss this year, it is no contest.
Right.

I didn't say the future didn't matter - or that this season was more important than any other.

I should have also said that i believe making the playoffs this season would be FAR more beneficial for this team's development, than insisting on giving a young goalie (who has never played a professional game) a start in a key game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad