Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Or, some might cry after getting lit up, go look at the tape, take it as a learning opportunity, and go on to become the all time franchise leader in wins and most wins by a US born goaltender. I guess there was no mutual exlusivity concerning Miller's reaction and career path. But you're right - every player is different and Levi's development path is TBD.
I didn’t mean it was bad that Miller cried. More that, all people have different personalities and it is on the coaches to try to understand and know their players. That’s just good management.

If a young player will be crushed by having a bad game, don’t put them in a position to have a bad game. If a young player wants the biggest challenge regardless of results, then that is a different situation.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
"How is it possible the bumper on the PP, and the forward on top of the crease always uncovered?"
I've seen people saying the forwards collapse too much and I tend to think it's the opposite. Maybe they hang in no man's land where they're not really pressing the point or covering the net front.

Reactions: Bendium

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've seen people saying the forwards collapse too much and I tend to think it's the opposite. Maybe they hang in no man's land where they're not really pressing the point or covering the net front.

They mix passive 1-3 with pressure. They don't have a consistent style and don't react well to what their partner is doing. Add in how the defensemen play as though nothing they can't see exists while being pulled up out of position... and it's a recipe for disaster.

Luckily, Levi is pretty quick and reading plays is one of his biggest strengths.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They mix passive 1-3 with pressure. They don't have a consistent style and don't react well to what their partner is doing. Add in how the defensemen play as though nothing they can't see exists while being pulled up out of position... and it's a recipe for disaster.

It's actually remarkable to me how our defense can be so over-aggressive and passive AT THE SAME TIME.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
My hope is that Granato's team development approach is offense first, defense later. You can teach a monkey how to play D, but getting this team's baseline offensive game is a higher priority with the young kids. They don't want to extinguish the attack-first mentality during this phase and maybe believe this is something they can address as the team matures as a group. There are definately certain 'styles' of play you see out of veteran lineups that this group is incapable of executing consistently over 60 minutes. But maybe they think focusing on this would curtail the way they want this team to play.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
My hope is that Granato's development approach is offense-first. You can teach a monkey how to play D, but getting this team's baseline offensive game is a higher priority with the young kids. They don't want to extinguish the attack-first mentality during this phase and maybe believe this is something they can address as the team matures as a group. There are definately certain 'styles' of play you see out of veteran lineups that this group is incapable of executing consistently over 60 minutes. But maybe they think focusing on this would curtail the way they want this team to play.

To the bolded, Granato has come out and actually said this SEVERAL times (well, except the "monkey" part). My hope is that he teaches them defensive structure now that the offensive ability is clearly there.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

what I’ve seen on some plays has been what amounts to no man’s land.

you see it in NFL innthe red zone. You have a QB roll out to weak side opposite of line motion with just one WR and a CB. The CB is stuck. They cover the WR the qb runs. They get the qb the WR is wide open.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
what I’ve seen on some plays has been what amounts to no man’s land.

you see it in NFL innthe red zone. You have a QB roll out to weak side opposite of line motion with just one WR and a CB. The CB is stuck. They cover the WR the qb runs. They get the qb the WR is wide open.
Yep. But it doesn't look like teams are targeting defenders with the scheme. Players are just unaware of their surroundings. We'll get there. Certainly the offensive foundation is there and for a young team they've scored some dazzling goals.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yep. But it doesn't look like teams are targeting defenders with the scheme. Players are just unaware of their surroundings. We'll get there. Certainly the offensive foundation is there and for a young team they've scored some dazzling goals.
It can affect passing. If a player is on the board or between face off dot and icing line they see two players One near crease, other high slot. One Dman in between. Based on D Moves pass to the other.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

With practice yesterday, today, and tomorrow, you have to think that Levi starts on Friday or Saturday.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
View attachment 678129

With practice yesterday, today, and tomorrow, you have to think that Levi starts on Friday or Saturday.

At home versus the Rangers on "national" TV (NHL Network) or on the road in Philly?

That debate seems.......like not a debate? If it's the choice of the two, you give him the debut at home.......even if we play like the drizzling shits at home.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
My hope is that Granato's team development approach is offense first, defense later. You can teach a monkey how to play D, but getting this team's baseline offensive game is a higher priority with the young kids. They don't want to extinguish the attack-first mentality during this phase and maybe believe this is something they can address as the team matures as a group. There are definately certain 'styles' of play you see out of veteran lineups that this group is incapable of executing consistently over 60 minutes. But maybe they think focusing on this would curtail the way they want this team to play.
I'm thinking Donny is going to put in a defensive structure in the upcoming training camp.

If we get Saros(or any upgrade at goalie), another top 4 defenseman, and d structure, this team puts it's foot right on the accelerator in the standings

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Wow, love it. For sure thought it would be against Philly but we need that crowd full of blue and gold and not blue and white.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Not a fan of throwing Levi in there while they are still in theoretical playoff contention. Not like any of our other guys are guaranteed to play well - but it is an unnecessary risk.

If/when we're mathematically eliminated - give him all the games you want...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad