Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Re: Levi practice - I think he really needs to practice 2-on-1s for several reasons, none of them to do with his talent / ability.
1. Get used to NHL speed.
2. Sabres d-men randomly play the shooter instead of the pass, so Levi needs to practice 50/50 of both.

Any thoughts / guesses on when Levi will start his first Sabre game?
Isles on the road - no pressure, but seems they'd start him at home in BUF for the fans.
Home vs. Montreal - would be really emotional for Levi. That's my bet!!
Later in season... why wait if Levi says he's ready?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Re: Levi practice - I think he really needs to practice 2-on-1s for several reasons, none of them to do with his talent / ability.
1. Get used to NHL speed.
2. Sabres d-men randomly play the shooter instead of the pass, so Levi needs to practice 50/50 of both.

Any thoughts / guesses on when Levi will start his first Sabre game?
Isles on the road - no pressure, but seems they'd start him at home in BUF for the fans.
Home vs. Montreal - would be really emotional for Levi. That's my bet!!
Later in season... why wait if Levi says he's ready?

He still needs to get his NHL approved gear in from the looks of it. And then he needs to break it in to feel comfortable.

My guess is next Friday versus the Rangers since there is a big gap between Monday vs Montreal and Friday vs NYR. That should give him time to be in a real practice and hopefully his new CCM gear is in and broken in by then.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA

Vally probably hates that drill because it ingrains bad habits and is not about what really happens in a game.

:sarcasm:

I am sure Vally is not fawned of it but i'm sure its a very mild rookies hazing.

Sabres: "Hey leaves, get in the net so we score on ya."

Levi: "Yeah, I'll get in the net.....you're not gonna score on me tho."

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I am sure Vally is not fawned of it but i'm sure its a very mild rookies hazing.

Sabres: "Hey leaves, get in the net so we score on ya."

Levi: "Yeah, I'll get in the net.....you're not gonna score on me tho."
No, it is a common drill that goalies like because they are high probability save situations.

But, they build bad habits and all the time locked into the RVH is not good for the hips and ankles.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Are we as a fan base going to put too much pressure on this kid too quickly? He's not going to step into the NHL and be amazing, just doesn't happen. Hoping they dont rush him and give him a full year in AHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Are we as a fan base going to put too much pressure on this kid too quickly? He's not going to step into the NHL and be amazing, just doesn't happen. Hoping they dont rush him and give him a full year in AHL.

Some already are. If he bucks the trend and takes less than a season or two worth of AHL games that almost every other high-end NCAA goalie have taken to arrive, great. But expecting it is probably going down the path of baking in disappointment.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It has been hard to get a sense of the tweets about him whether it is people joking or if people really expect him to show up and play Hasek-level hockey after less than 70 NCAA games and with 0 pro games under his belt.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I don't care about amazing at all. The recent starts of the other goalies on the roster:

Comrie: 10GA
Luukkonen: 7GA
Anderson: 6GA in like 35 minutes.

Even if he's that level (i.e. really really bad) so what? Get that taste, get that experience, go work on stuff.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Some already are. If he bucks the trend and takes less than a season or two worth of AHL games that almost every other high-end NCAA goalie have taken to arrive, great. But expecting it is probably going down the path of backing in disappointment.
It's crazy that some are already penciling him into the line-up for next season. Kid hasn't played a single pro game yet.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Some already are. If he bucks the trend and takes less than a season or two worth of AHL games that almost every other high-end NCAA goalie have taken to arrive, great. But expecting it is probably going down the path of backing in disappointment.
And several of the recent goalies to buck the trend had 1-2 special seasons and then didn’t have the fully developed game to survive beyond that

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Was Spencer Knight the highly touted goalie that struggled in NHL or was it another goalie? Do all good college goalies do well at the NHL level?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Was Spencer Knight the highly touted goalie that struggled in NHL or was it another goalie? Do all good college goalies do well at the NHL level?

That was Knight - he had one NCAA season and then was thrown into the Panthers lineup and is now in the league assistance program.

Reactions: EichHart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad