Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Three in four seems that it would be unlikely to get him sufficient practice time. While it makes for TV series drama to have him play against Montreal, it's probably more likely later in the season, like the last week, than next week.
Stop raining on our parade with logic. The game against Montreal is also on the 27th.

• Wow
Reactions: oldgoalie

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Three in four seems that it would be unlikely to get him sufficient practice time. While it makes for TV series drama to have him play against Montreal, it's probably more likely later in the season, like the last week, than next week.

Yeah....the longer he goes with not being able to practice, the longer his debut gets pushed back. He's going to need at least 1 week, but more likely 2 weeks to adjust to the NHL speed/shots before he might feel mildly comfortable starting.

As much as I love the idea of him starting 3/27 against Montreal, I just don't see it happening anymore. If we want to get him a home start, 4/13 against Ottawa really seems like the best idea.........I can't advocate starting him against a Carolina team that's going to skewer us again.

If a road debut would be OK, 4/6 against Detroit looks doable.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah....the longer he goes with not being able to practice, the longer his debut gets pushed back. He's going to need at least 1 week, but more likely 2 weeks to adjust to the NHL speed/shots before he might feel mildly comfortable starting.

As much as I love the idea of him starting 3/27 against Montreal, I just don't see it happening anymore. If we want to get him a home start, 4/13 against Ottawa really seems like the best idea.........I can't advocate starting him against a Carolina team that's going to skewer us again.

If a road debut would be OK, 4/6 against Detroit looks doable.

Last game of the year is a reschedule against Columbus, that could also be one too.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
4/13 is fan appreciation night if it matters into the calculus. Not sure if it would make it more or less likely he'd start there. I'd hate to take the opportunity away from UPL for example to play in front of what should be a great crowd. For Anderson if that might be his last game ever and against his former team.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Agreed. But if it's a choice of Ottawa or Cbus.......I can't imagine them not throwing the fans a bone.......(as opposed to boning the fans, but that's a different topic)
You will never learn..,smh

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I get that it's good that Levi is signed.

But wow this red carpet, social media blitz, gives me the willies.

Way too much pedestal being put under him.

He's a good prospect, not the second coming of Hasek.

Hell even Miller, Hasek, or Barrasso never got this much hype.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Hasek was found money. He didn't arrive with hype because he was a backup and then was a backup in Buffalo until Fuhr got hurt.

Barrasso got some hype from TBN at the time. Most of that was the ego of the GM pushing out how great his own picks were, even if they were a collection of egomaniacs, gutless wusses, coke heads, or guys who couldn't skate.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hasek was found money. He didn't arrive with hype because he was a backup and then was a backup in Buffalo until Fuhr got hurt.

Barrasso got some hype from TBN at the time. Most of that was the ego of the GM pushing out how great his own picks were, even if they were a collection of egomaniacs, gutless wusses, coke heads, or guys who couldn't skate.

I’m sure if the world was similar back then as it is now, people would have been asking when he’s coming over and how he’d do in the NHL.

Although even looking back now, I don’t see arguably the best goalie in NHL history, let alone a hall of famer

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I get all the points. Maybe it's hyperbole thinking.

Still wish they'd tone it down a bit. It is a bit too much.

Also, Sorry for outing all of you guys as old farts who remember the 80s pretty vividly.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’m sure if the world was similar back then as it is now, people would have been asking when he’s coming over and how he’d do in the NHL.

Although even looking back now, I don’t see arguably the best goalie in NHL history, let alone a hall of famer

Since he was the Blackhawks backup, I'm sure there would've been a lot of "gee, why is this guy good?" conversation.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

part of the social media blitz could be because he is a finalist for richter and in the final 10 for hobey baker awards. some extra marketing towards the voters? thats in addition to keeping fans interested.

hasek wasn't hyped, but the gm was fired for trading puppa & andreychuk for fuhr so there was media interest. media loved puppa because they hated barrasso.

there was drama around barrasso, mostly to fix the edwards/sauve/cloutier thing. traded sauve & edwards, cloutier wasn't great, then barrasso became starter & sauve came back, cloutier returned after barrasso trade. was a messy thing like noronen, miller, biron, hasek.

best hype comparision tho, might be dekeyser signing with detroit or vesey?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Since he was the Blackhawks backup, I'm sure there would've been a lot of "gee, why is this guy good?" conversation.
Having Fuhr, the expectation was that he was just a weird Euro backup goalie and not that he would be the #1, let alone a multiple Hart winner.

Different Era with the prevalence of social media now. Miller would have arrived with this fanfare. Same with Barrasso.
The eras were different, but the Miller hype was similar to what we are seeing now with Levi adjusted for the difference the internet and smartphones have made to everything.

Barrasso was less hype and more curiosity given that he was jumping straight from HS to the NHL.

Devon Levi signs with Sabres​

The Buffalo Sabres inked Devon Levi to an entry-level contract last week. The former Northeastern goaltender had a phenomenal two years playing for the Huskies. His goals-against average and save percentage (see card below) are statistical anomalies. Levi is a butterfly/athletic goaltender who has worked tirelessly to improve his game. He’s on the smaller side for the NHL and it will take time to adjust to the best shooters in the world.

NHL Projection: (2G) trending (1B)

Devon-Levi-scout-card.jpg

And Levi's former creasemate is on the list:

Yaniv Perets

School: Quinnipiac
Position: Goaltender
Catch: Left
Height: Six-foot-one
Weight: 189 pounds
NHL Projection: (3G) / Call-up

Yaniv-Perets-scout-card.png

Last edited:

Gosabres08

Jun 15, 2011

If it makes you feel better, Levi clearly doesn't care about all the hype at all:

“The great thing about expectations is they're not real, they're just what people are talking about,” Levi said. “It's talk about the future. The way I've always dealt with expectations is kind of not dealing with them. It's just talk, everyone's going to have something to say.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
Hopefully he gets a game ... or two this season, when the games don't matter( pretty close if not already there). If it was the western conference, they might still have a chance, pretty inept battle for last playoff spot between Winnipeg, Calgary and Nashville. Anyways, the hype will peak, he'll get his feet wet and then next season AHL for 1st half of season , and called up for good after that, battles for # 1 and then #1 for next 10 years after

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
If only he had gotten a job at the college library for like 10 hours a week, he could have been practicing by now lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If only he had gotten a job at the college library for like 10 hours a week, he could have been practicing by now lol

Good idea, but both F-1 and M-1 student visas allow people to work in their area of training off-campus while still taking classes. It's more that being on the Sabres isn't part of computer science than getting a job at the library would've made it work. If they could show that playing net for them is similar - perhaps he's working on a solution for frequent netminding crashes or the "Blue Paint of Death" that is the Sabres crease? :D

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Good idea, but both F-1 and M-1 student visas allow people to work in their area of training off-campus while still taking classes. It's more that being on the Sabres isn't part of computer science than getting a job at the library would've made it work. If they could show that playing net for them is similar - perhaps he's working on a solution for frequent netminding crashes or the "Blue Paint of Death" that is the Sabres crease? :D
Just put some books on top of the goal next to his water bottle. Make him study during stoppages.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad