Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Should boot UPL and give Levi #1.. no one should buy a #27 jersey, it's like buying a #15 Eichel jersey.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Maybe if we play him, the Sabres players will actually care about team defense. I mean nobody wants to see a rookie goalie get shelled, right?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

So.. some of you may know my wife is a professor at NEU for 20+ years, so I've watched the emergence of this school as a top-ranked private university in the US. I did not realize Levi is a CS major - that is an incredibly difficult school and program. Aside from the coop requirements, they don't just let anyone into that program, not even D1 athletes.

So this kid must be what we like to call 'wicked smaht' in the Boston area.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Great article. I’m already in awe.
Condon used to provide skills coaching for my town's youth league. Interesting to see how he is a 'volunteer goalie coach' for NEU. Gionta had to do the same thing for Niagra until they gave him a part time position. It certainly is a passion for these former players that was to stay in the game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Condon used to provide skills coaching for my town's youth league. Interesting to see how he is a 'volunteer goalie coach' for NEU. Gionta had to do the same thing for Niagra until they gave him a part time position. It certainly is a passion for these former players that was to stay in the game.

Rolston was volunteering at Providence before they started paying him too.

Wish I had the bankroll to go volunteer somewhere until they could pay me.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
So.. some of you may know my wife is a professor at NEU for 20+ years, so I've watched the emergence of this school as a top-ranked private university in the US. I did not realize Levi is a CS major - that is an incredibly difficult school and program. Aside from the coop requirements, they don't just let anyone into that program, not even D1 athletes.

sounds like we got a regular kenny dryden ovah heah

Reactions: old kummelweck

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

The interview he did along side McDonough he went into his major a little bit and talked about trying to balance his school work and hockey. I guess he had to drop a couple classes because the workload was becoming too much for him with practice almost daily also. He said he'd do summer courses to make them up so I wouldn't be too surprised to see this kid finish his degree in a couple years doing it in the off-season.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The interview he did along side McDonough he went into his major a little bit and talked about trying to balance his school work and hockey. I guess he had to drop a couple classes because the workload was becoming too much for him with practice almost daily also. He said he'd do summer courses to make them up so I wouldn't be too surprised to see this kid finish his degree in a couple years doing it in the off-season.
Not sure that will happen at northeastern, unless he changes to their college of professional studies. BS degrees require coop to graduate. Not sure he'll be interning at any software companies during his summers, I guess I should say, hopefully he wont.

Reactions: Chainshot

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Not sure that will happen at northeastern, unless he changes to their college of professional studies. BS degrees require coop to graduate. Not sure he'll be interning at any software companies during his summers, I guess I should say, hopefully he wont.
I'm not sure how he'd manage that. I believe his father started some sort of Robotics company though, so perhaps if he trains at home during an offseason it would be possible?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Most goalie coaches in the NCAA are volunteers because the NCAA limits men’s hockey to three full time paid coaches, I believe. That’s why the most you see is a Mike Bales situation where a goalie coach transitions to a full time assistant coaching role.

Former RIT goalie Jared DeMichiel went that route, was an assistant at UMass and is now at Michigan State.

He started as the goalie coach at DIII Nazareth College here in Rochester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad