Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Some of you will go on the warpath for this but I think it’s pretty likely if he doesn’t sign this year he’s gone. Buffalo has a rotten reputation out there in the goalie arena. My guess is if Levi doesn’t sign this year he’s getting advice to go UFA.

He obviously is not enthusiastic to sign or it would have been done already. There was never any talk about him returning to the NCAA next year until now. He said so himself last year when he said he wanted one more shot to get his team to the frozen 4.

KA put all his eggs in this basket and if he comes up short here, I’ll be certainly questioning his ability to negotiate outside the organization and to sell his vision of the organization.

His personality can leave a lot to be desired based on his interviews.

Edit: I’m not saying he’s not signing, but if it’s not done so soon, I think something is brewing behind the scenes. When you leave a tender out to get smeared with 10 goals and lack defense every game, who knows how that impacts a young goaltender’s perception of your organization.
Any agent giving advice to go to FA should be fired.

- It is not a given that he will crack an NHL roster soon or ever on any other team. Buffalo has assured him (and backed it up with actions) that he will have an unblocked path to the NHL starter job.
- Opportunity cost for forgone wages by not playing pro hockey next year
- Sabres are the only team that can burn the first year of his ELC.

“Sabres aren’t known to play good defense” doesn’t outweigh the above cons, not even close. If he did demand a trade, I hope Adams makes him sit for a year and let him walk (FYI, I don’t think this will happen).

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Unless Granato doing to Comrie what Montreal did to Roy is weighing on the decision.

I wouldn't blame Levi if that was the case. That was a firable offense humiliating Comrie like that. I wouldn't want to have anything to do with Granato either if I were Levi

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Unless Granato doing to Comrie what Montreal did to Roy is weighing on the decision.

I wouldn't blame Levi if that was the case. That was a firable offense humiliating Comrie like that. I wouldn't want to have anything to do with Granato either if I were Levi

Holy shit is this hyperbole - I hope. Someone can't honestly believe this. I've seen unhinged HFBoards but...wow.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There isn't really any reason to be worried that Levi isn't signed at this point in time. I don't think it's something that will be worth worrying about, either, unless training camp comes and he's still unsigned.
Seems like there is reason to worry if you care about the sabres, considering that he's the only player on his team left who hasn't signed. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't sign, of course, but if you care about that sort of thing it would be understandable if you were starting to really sweat today.

Elliot Friedman came out looking like a giant bag of hot air. It's probably why he looks so disheveled all the time now. The one thing that made him anything in the world of hockey was his credibility and that's been nose diving for years now.

Now he's pretty much an overpaid HFBoards poster with a platform in front of a camera.
How are you measuring credibility? He has more credibility than ever, with a podcast that is skyrocketing in popularity every day.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why did you ignore the question and answer a different question that wasn't asked?

You clearly linked popularity and credibility. Just because someone is popular, it doesn't make them credible.

Credibility to me means that someone's reporting is accurate and based on facts. Friedman doesn't do much more than speculation anymore based on "things he overheard"

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
How are you measuring credibility? He has more credibility than ever, with a podcast that is skyrocketing in popularity every day.
I don't measure credibility on popularity, I measure credibility, in the case of Friedman on accurately reporting rumors/news rather than pretending he has some inside source when it's all his opinion and or speculation because he's trying to remain relevant.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
There isn't really any reason to be worried that Levi isn't signed at this point in time. I don't think it's something that will be worth worrying about, either, unless training camp comes and he's still unsigned.
Agreed. And if there is a Sabres draft pick / prospect whose timeline beats to a different drum, it would be Devon Levi.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You clearly linked popularity and credibility. Just because someone is popular, it doesn't make them credible.

Credibility to me means that someone's reporting is accurate and based on facts. Friedman doesn't do much more than speculation anymore based on "things he overheard"
Ok, so you have no method for measuring. You just don’t like some things he says so you say he has no credibility.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Ok, so you have no method for measuring. You just don’t like some things he says so you say he has no credibility.
EF (besides McKenzie who’s mostly retired) is the most credible person out there. If you listen to him, he makes sure to hammer the point of saying “I think” or “I’ve heard” but doesn’t try and present it as fact. When he does have actual info to run with, it tends to come to fruition. When other teams message boards resort to “eh EF is a clown anyways!” I always assume it’s some news they didn’t want to hear.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Did you not read the post above yours?
I don't believe much of what I read anywhere. The only thing I truly know is if he doesn't sign before the end of the season Sabres lose a chip they can play. The flip side is I don't know why Levi goes back to school for another year unless he really doesn't want to be in Buffalo or just really wants to finish his degree

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Levi should be starting next Tuesday. What the hell do we have to lose? UPL is not the answer as a #1. We have seen goalies like Binnington and Marty Turco in the past go on insane runs that could carry us into the playoffs. Levi's talent and potential far surpass goalies like those. He isn't some 18 year old kid. Levi and Anderson should be the ones playing the remaining games.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
EF (besides McKenzie who’s mostly retired) is the most credible person out there. If you listen to him, he makes sure to hammer the point of saying “I think” or “I’ve heard” but doesn’t try and present it as fact. When he does have actual info to run with, it tends to come to fruition. When other teams message boards resort to “eh EF is a clown anyways!” I always assume it’s some news they didn’t want to hear.
Exactly. Kevin Weeks has a ton of credibility too, but folks on here start throwing holy water at him, hoping he'll melt away when he reports anything about the Sabres.

The fact that Buffalo is trying to trade UPL is a good thing, and Weeks shouldn't be attacked for putting his reputation on the line when he reports it. He benefits nothing at all from lying about UPL's name being out there.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Levi should be starting next Tuesday. What the hell do we have to lose? UPL is not the answer as a #1. We have seen goalies like Binnington and Marty Turco in the past go on insane runs that could carry us into the playoffs. Levi's talent and potential far surpass goalies like those. He isn't some 18 year old kid. Levi and Anderson should be the ones playing the remaining games.

What do we have to lose? Levi is a big game player, let's throw the kid out there and see how he does.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Geez - step back from the ledge, people. It's only been a couple of days. We know that Levi is a very methodical guy and is in no rush. He is going to take however much time he needs to make his decision. He might even finish the semester before signing and not play pro this year. It doesn't have to mean anything.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
How is potentially playing 5+ games in the NHL not the better option then a likely short AHL playoff run? Give him a shot. We are likely missing it anyway so why not give the fans something to cheer about then giving the club no support all season.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Honest question - We're carrying three goalies right now, why would Levi sign right now?

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I hope someone calls out insiders for what it really is sometimes, tampering!
If EF has a axe to grind just say it and stop the games and bullshit!

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad