Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I certainly hope the organization did not purposefully and willfully fail to address the goalie situation last summer to appease a prospect. Even one as well regarded as Levi. What is the difference between knee capping your goalie situation to keep a prospect happy and icing a bad team to get a higher draft pick? Is there one?
I think they rolled the dice on Comrie because the top guys wanted to go elsewhere and they felt that Comrie was the best bet of the guys that were interested in signing here.

With Granato playing a high event style, it is going to be hard to get a quality starting goalie in here via UFA unless you vastly overpay.

And there were not a lot of quality #1s that moved in trade.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
If you honestly think the organization wants to run UPL/Comrie next year or put all their eggs in the Levi basket then idk what to tell you. They tried to get Matt Murray, they wanted Talbot this deadline! UPL was in rumors going to LA.

They don’t like this tandem. It’s proven.
“Make no mistake, the Sabres have made it very clear they want him in the organization right away. They weren’t thrilled by reports they were interested in adding a goalie prior to the trade deadline, because they’d made it clear to Levi and his advisors there would be a legit route to the NHL if he showed he was ready.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
“Make no mistake, the Sabres have made it very clear they want him in the organization right away. They weren’t thrilled by reports they were interested in adding a goalie prior to the trade deadline, because they’d made it clear to Levi and his advisors there would be a legit route to the NHL if he showed he was ready.
“If he showed he was ready”

I’m firmly convinced we have 2 new NHL goalies next year. If Levi wins the backup job, then fine. If he falters then he goes down. Starters don’t play 75 games anymore. This rhetoric that he’d be blocked is hilarious.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Give him until a week before the draft to sign. If not signed by then, get what you can for him from the draft.

Then fire Adams with cause and don't pay out the rest of the contract

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
When you leave a tender out to get smeared with 10 goals and lack defense every game, who knows how that impacts a young goaltender’s perception of your organization.

Ya I'm gonna go ahead and say the Dallas game did absolutely nothing with regards to his perception of the Sabres.

As for the defense, we're clearly extremely young overall with the roster definitely not filled out yet.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think they rolled the dice on Comrie because the top guys wanted to go elsewhere and they felt that Comrie was the best bet of the guys that were interested in signing here.

With Granato playing a high event style, it is going to be hard to get a quality starting goalie in here via UFA unless you vastly overpay.

And there were not a lot of quality #1s that moved in trade.

Both goalies they were interested in (Comrie and Murray) they were interested in were not signed beyond next season.

If Adams goalie search was bounded by goalies who were not signed beyond 2024 it would have eliminated Husso (assuming he knew what contract he was looking for) and potentially Vanecek (if he went as far as to talk contract with his agent before a trade with Washington), and any Gibson trade as well.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I think the hold up is Adams. It is likely that Levi is looking to burn a year of his NHL rookie contract, so as long as the Sabres are in the hunt, it is unlikely that Adams wants to gurantee him an NHL start. The 'meaningful hockey' plan has gone a little better than expected, and could even drag out to the last few games of the season, so there currently isn't an NHL crease to offer him. I'm sure both Adams and Levi also thought they wouldn't have to make a decision this soon as Levi should have been in the NCAA tournament.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think the hold up is Adams. It is likely that Levi is looking to burn a year of his NHL rookie contract, so as long as the Sabres are in the hunt, it is unlikely that Adams wants to gurantee him an NHL start. The 'meaningful hockey' plan has gone a little better than expected, and could even drag out to the last few games of the season, so there currently isn't an NHL crease to offer him.

Nah. Adams has made it very clear to anyone that will listen that his #1 priority in net is Levi. If Levi wants to kill an ELC year by playing a game, he'll get his game.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
There isn't a hold up, he doesn't want to sign right now. He hasn't made up his mind on playing his last year of college. I think at minimum he would want to finish this semester. I don't see him wanting to play anymore hockey this year (here or in AHL).
I remember this casual sentiment about Portillo last year as he went back for his last season.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Nah. Adams has made it very clear to anyone that will listen that his #1 priority in net is Levi. If Levi wants to kill an ELC year by playing a game, he'll get his game.
And he'll get it if and when it is clear the Sabres are out of the playoff picture. If I were to guess a signing window, it would be whenever the sabres are even in games played with the rest of the wildcard pack.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Maybe they just sign him to Rochester, get him some playing time there. It seems out of character for Levi to jump over a level since he's been so careful about his development.

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If you honestly think the organization wants to run UPL/Comrie next year or put all their eggs in the Levi basket then idk what to tell you. They tried to get Matt Murray, they wanted Talbot this deadline! UPL was in rumors going to LA.

They don’t like this tandem. It’s proven.
What’s proven?

They tried to get Matt Murray at the draft and would have landed a high pick with him. Effectively getting paid to take a high paid, injury prone and poor performing goalie off the Sens hands. That was well before free agency.

This front office also leaks little to nothing. What is the evidence UPL was heading out? Or that they shopped for Talbot?

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
What’s proven?

They tried to get Matt Murray at the draft and would have landed a high pick with him. Effectively getting paid to take a high paid, injury prone and poor performing goalie off the Sens hands. That was well before free agency.

This front office also leaks little to nothing. What is the evidence UPL was heading out? Or that they shopped for Talbot?
Weekes had tweets speculating UPL before the deadline and he’s taken the mantle as most trusted insider imo

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Weekes had tweets speculating UPL before the deadline and he’s taken the mantle as most trusted insider imo
Weekes has no idea. Remember the Eichel stuff he tweeted.

How is he the most trusted? He’s certainly the most likely to tweet out a trade confirmation from an interesting/funny location.

This front office leaks almost nothing.

That Eichel saga killed the credibility of a lot of “insiders”.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Weekes has no idea. Remember the Eichel stuff he tweeted.

How is he the most trusted? He’s certainly the most likely to tweet out a trade confirmation from an interesting/funny location.

This front office leaks almost nothing.

That Eichel saga killed the credibility of a lot of “insiders”.
Elliot Friedman came out looking like a giant bag of hot air. It's probably why he looks so disheveled all the time now. The one thing that made him anything in the world of hockey was his credibility and that's been nose diving for years now.

Now he's pretty much an overpaid HFBoards poster with a platform in front of a camera.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad