Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have watched just about every Northeastern game and yes they are a very good defensive team with structure. Very rarely do they give up odd man rushes or breakaways. They do a great job of keeping shots on the outside and they block a TON of shots (they may lead the NCAA in block shots). The NU system is conducive to great goalies stats just as Cayden Primeau had prior to Levi. Last year TJ Semptimphelter played 8 games while Levi was at the Olympics and put up 2.05gaa and a .934 behind the same team. Semptimphelter transferred to ASU this season and came back to earth with a 2.84 and a .913 this season.

Northeastern had the best defensive defenseman in Hockey East in Hunter Mcdonald and also the best defensive forward in Hockey East with Hyrckowian. There was a 7 game stretch this year when a few defenseman where banged up and Levi allowed 29 goals for a 4.14GAA and a .876 save percentage - that stretch led them to miss the NCAA tournament. Not saying Levi isnt a good goalie prospect but its a system that produces great goalie stats. Levi is still barely 6'0 tall and will need time to develop...ala Dustin Wolf.

The Huskies are not good at establishing possession and clearing the puck under control out of their zone. They do collapse and try to take shooting lanes away - the block stats are indicative of that - but they yield a lot of shots, spend time chasing, and regularly are disorganized in their own zone. They remind me a bit of the late '90's Sabres where they played similarly, collapsing to protect the house but not being very good at getting possession and instead leaning hard on Hasek. They don't take the neutral zone away in the way Quinnipiac does and they yield way more shots than they should.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Agree. If I am Levi, I am concerned about the Sabre's playing a system that lacks defensive structure and leaves goaltenders hung out to dry. He was just playing in front of a very good defensive structure team, which greatly assisted his success to the point. If your going to run and gun and hope the goalie can save you, why would Levi want to sign up for that?

Can Levi still do a college transfer? Go play for a better NCAA team?

Isn’t Levi facing a ridiculous number of shots a game?

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
With McDonough signing and someone on TSN690 saying Struble also signed I wonder if Levi is next. Losing their top scorer and one of their Better Dmen doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in how good NEU would be next season. Hope they get him inked soon to end the anxiety.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
giphy.gif

Me every time I see this thread getting bumped.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
With McDonough signing and someone on TSN690 saying Struble also signed I wonder if Levi is next. Losing their top scorer and one of their Better Dmen doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in how good NEU would be next season. Hope they get him inked soon to end the anxiety.
McDonough and Struble are seniors.

Also, looking at the NEU roster, I never noticed that Levi is #1. Wonder if UPL will give up that number. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad