Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
It would make no sense. But lots of things happen which make no sense in life. Always variables out there that surprise us in life. Until he's signed, he's not signed. (The larger question is the wide-held belief that he's the man with not one minute of facing pro hockey shooters. I like his chances, but Sabres need more options in net other than him and UPL.)
I guess he could demand a trade (to Montreal or some other destination) and threaten to go back to school if we don’t meet his demands. I’m not too worried about it though (and I’m a nervous person by nature).

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I will be happy when these stupid NCAA saga's we have been thru with Levi, Potillo, Johnson, etc are over. The Sabres need to stop drafting players in the NCAA that are likely to need the full 4 years to develop. A 5th rounder fine. However, late first or second round dmen, 2nd and 3rd round forward, and all goalies should not be drafted that are NCAA bound.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Levi doesn't sign next week then he is gone. Zero chance he doesn't get to burn a year of his contract but will sign in the summer. If he doesn't sign next week he is going back and then going UFA. And who can blame him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Do you really think he would go back for another year of school?

Levi beats to his own drum as far as what people think is best for him versus what he wants to do himself. He did a year in the CCHL when many thought it wasn't necessary. He did this year in the NCAA when many thought it wasn't necessary.

Most certainly don't think he needs ANOTHER year at Northeastern, but who knows.

I expect he'll sign.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
WTF does that mean ???
I mean…devil’s advocate…if it was my career I’d have to think long and hard about playing for this organization. And I’m from here and grew up a fan. I’d need assurances they plan on icing a full NHL roster soon.

Reactions: Bendium

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I mean…devil’s advocate…if it was my career I’d have to think long and hard about playing for this organization. And I’m from here and grew up a fan. I’d need assurances they plan on icing a full NHL roster soon.
Agree. If I am Levi, I am concerned about the Sabre's playing a system that lacks defensive structure and leaves goaltenders hung out to dry. He was just playing in front of a very good defensive structure team, which greatly assisted his success to the point. If your going to run and gun and hope the goalie can save you, why would Levi want to sign up for that?

Can Levi still do a college transfer? Go play for a better NCAA team?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't think there should be any concern with regards to Levi unless he opts to return next year....which we would be months away from knowing. And if that is the case, he likely would be pursuing being a UFA rather than signing with us.

The ideal is he signs a PTO with the Amerks to be their goalie for the rest of the year and playoffs and then signs with us this summer. I'm HOPING he's willing to do that. We will see though, if we have to burn a year of his ELC to make the deal happen, make it happen.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I have no doubt he’s signing…I just want him to have a serious conversation where he questions the plan in front of him going forward with management. Because no one else bothers to ask.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I would hope the contract is sitting on his agents desk and ready to go. Boilerplate.

I would hope that we're giving the kid time to breathe after the disappointment of not making the NCAAs. Yes, Vancouver signed their NEU guy.........

Tell the agent that the contract is ready when Devon is......but let Devon take his time.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Agree. If I am Levi, I am concerned about the Sabre's playing a system that lacks defensive structure and leaves goaltenders hung out to dry. He was just playing in front of a very good defensive structure team, which greatly assisted his success to the point. If your going to run and gun and hope the goalie can save you, why would Levi want to sign up for that?

Come to think of it, I've never seen you and Ace in the same room at the same time lol.

He has a path here with a very talented young team and an opportunity to make extra money now by signing. I don't doubt adams is willing to do that or that Levi has given him reason to doubt.

NEU does play a defensive game but they're not great at it. Levi has been a workhorse stopping a barrage of shots most nights. As for volume, it won't be as bad as his college career with much more goal support.

I don't think there should be any concern with regards to Levi unless he opts to return next year....which we would be months away from knowing. And if that is the case, he likely would be pursuing being a UFA rather than signing with us.

The ideal is he signs a PTO with the Amerks to be their goalie for the rest of the year and playoffs and then signs with us this summer. I'm HOPING he's willing to do that. We will see though, if we have to burn a year of his ELC to make the deal happen, make it happen.
That's probably the path this season unless Levi forces his way to be a regular because he will get an NHL game. Most likely he'll get his contract, a sweet jersey and then help Roch for the playoffs.

Reactions: RecycledEichel

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

A very good defensive team? They routinely hung 35-50 shots on him. Sure if you’re just watching the scoreboard they look like a trap era team.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

I think the notion that he'll be able to step in and take over the net for Rochester is not realistic. It's not that he isn't necessarily ready for the level of competition, but he almost certainly is not ready for the increased workload.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad