Post-Game Talk: Devils vs Yankees...err, I mean Rangers

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I dunno. The Devils fans feel the same way about our fan base as we do about theirs. We see them as ****ing obnoxious idiots, and they see the same in us. That's just how it is with rival fans. If anything, we probably have more obnoxious fans, since we have about 50 times more fans in general.

Devils fans on HF might be the worst people in the world, though.

I guess you can say this since you are no longer a mod? :laugh:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Yeah PDB is a great coach. Devils fans throw him under the bus because they can't admit the team just ain't that good.

We hate DeBoer for some pretty accurate reasons.

When he came here from Florida, the Panther fans warned us that he is absolutely horrible with young players. We didn't really see that the first year (cup run) because the team had like two young players. Last year it started to get weird with Larsson and Fayne constantly being scratched while guys like Anton Volchenkov were eating up minutes getting beat by opposing forwards constantly. This year, we legitimately blame him for the developmental issues of the younger players.

Reid Boucher- Has not spent a whole year in the AHL. He is supposed to be our top forward prospect. He gets thrown right into the mix on the top line. He doesn't produce. Then he gets put on the third line, then on the fourth line for multiple games. The last place you want your best offensive prospect is the fourth line.... then the press box. He got 23 games and only should have gotten 5-10. Finally he got sent back down.

DeBoer has an absolute love affair with Stephen Gionta and Steve Bernier. No matter what those guys do, they routinely see the ice more than the talented players the Devils have. Here's a comparison between Steve Bernier and a fantastic promising young center Andrei Loktionov.

Bernier- GP 53, 3g, 6a, 9p, -15
Loktionov- GP 40, 3g, 6a, 9p, +1

It's Loktionov constantly getting scratched while Bernier stinks up the place. Last year, Loktionov was one of the best players on the team getting top line minutes with Kovalchuk and Henrique and Elias... now he gets slotted in the fourth line. I kid you not he was put in a game where Tim Sestito and Cam Janssen were his wingers. He didn't produce and got benched the rest of the game and back to the press box after that. The other night in Colorado the team was down 1-0 and Loktionov rushed up the ice and produced the game tying goal late in the third. He has not seen the ice since.

Jon Merrill is our second best defensive prospect behind Larsson and is finally being scratched after looking absolutely clueless all year. He needs a full year in Albany as well. They threw him right into the mix and gave him top minutes and he looked scared, slow, and clueless most of the season. Now he's rotting away in the press box instead of playing top pairing minutes in Albany as he should be. When Larsson is up here, he can't find his way out of the pressbox.

Gelinas looks amazing. 6g, 16a in 42 games. Ridiculous shot. He had a recent stretch where he looked shaky defensively. Off to the press box for a game. Then he comes back and DeBoer would rather sit Loktionov and Josefson and go with 7 D so Gelinas gets 4 min of ice time. Meanwhile, Bryce Salvador and Mark Fayne are routinely passing the puck directly to the other team.

The Brodeur vs Schneider thing is ridiculous too. GO WITH THE HOT GOALIE. Stop giving Brodeur nostalgia starts. Schneider has been playing unbelievably. 927sv% 1.80Gaa. Meantime Marty is at .899sv% and 2.52gaa. Go figure. 25 starts for Schneider and 29 for Marty.

All in all, it's guys like Gionta, Bernier, Henrique, Zajac, Volchenkov, Salvador, Harrold, Brodeur, and others that are stinking up the place. DeBoer can't help himself but to put our prospects in the pressbox or just senselessly bench them for no reason.

You probably didn't read this and that's fine.... but I hope it helps you get a sense of why we want this coach gone. His lineup decisions and regular decisions are awful as well as his time management and timeout calling.

Here's some funny time on ice stats from today's game. Salvador: 23:46, Volchenkov: 18:22 Greene: 17:14, Jagr: 15:00, Elias: 14:28, Brunner: 13:09, Zubrus: 14:14.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
BTW good win for you guys you deserved it. You owned the neutral zone the entire game and made the Devils backcheck and D look silly.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
That was a really well detailed post NJdevil. I understand those are really frustrating qualities in a coach when they senselessly play favorites and it CLEARLY costs the team wins.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
IIRC, this is the first time this season the Rangers have had a positive GF/GA differential.

1st time positive. They were even a few games back. By the way. I feel bad for the Devils fans on that board. Half of them are of stout belief that they only lost this game because of poor bounces, deflections and if Cory is in that they win (not like terrible decisions from players such Gelinas cost them the game or anything).

Other half is in full agreement that Marty blew chunks. I guess half their fan base is alright? :dunno:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That was a really well detailed post NJdevil. I understand those are really frustrating qualities in a coach when they senselessly play favorites and it CLEARLY costs the team wins.

I get crap on the Devils board for it but I really enjoy talking to the fans of the other team. It helps get a better perspective other than a Devils biased one. I really wanted Paul Maurice or Peter Laviolette as a coach.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We hate DeBoer for some pretty accurate reasons.

When he came here from Florida, the Panther fans warned us that he is absolutely horrible with young players. We didn't really see that the first year (cup run) because the team had like two young players. Last year it started to get weird with Larsson and Fayne constantly being scratched while guys like Anton Volchenkov were eating up minutes getting beat by opposing forwards constantly. This year, we legitimately blame him for the developmental issues of the younger players.

Reid Boucher- Has not spent a whole year in the AHL. He is supposed to be our top forward prospect. He gets thrown right into the mix on the top line. He doesn't produce. Then he gets put on the third line, then on the fourth line for multiple games. The last place you want your best offensive prospect is the fourth line.... then the press box. He got 23 games and only should have gotten 5-10. Finally he got sent back down.

DeBoer has an absolute love affair with Stephen Gionta and Steve Bernier. No matter what those guys do, they routinely see the ice more than the talented players the Devils have. Here's a comparison between Steve Bernier and a fantastic promising young center Andrei Loktionov.

Bernier- GP 53, 3g, 6a, 9p, -15
Loktionov- GP 40, 3g, 6a, 9p, +1

It's Loktionov constantly getting scratched while Bernier stinks up the place. Last year, Loktionov was one of the best players on the team getting top line minutes with Kovalchuk and Henrique and Elias... now he gets slotted in the fourth line. I kid you not he was put in a game where Tim Sestito and Cam Janssen were his wingers. He didn't produce and got benched the rest of the game and back to the press box after that. The other night in Colorado the team was down 1-0 and Loktionov rushed up the ice and produced the game tying goal late in the third. He has not seen the ice since.

Jon Merrill is our second best defensive prospect behind Larsson and is finally being scratched after looking absolutely clueless all year. He needs a full year in Albany as well. They threw him right into the mix and gave him top minutes and he looked scared, slow, and clueless most of the season. Now he's rotting away in the press box instead of playing top pairing minutes in Albany as he should be. When Larsson is up here, he can't find his way out of the pressbox.

Gelinas looks amazing. 6g, 16a in 42 games. Ridiculous shot. He had a recent stretch where he looked shaky defensively. Off to the press box for a game. Then he comes back and DeBoer would rather sit Loktionov and Josefson and go with 7 D so Gelinas gets 4 min of ice time. Meanwhile, Bryce Salvador and Mark Fayne are routinely passing the puck directly to the other team.

The Brodeur vs Schneider thing is ridiculous too. GO WITH THE HOT GOALIE. Stop giving Brodeur nostalgia starts. Schneider has been playing unbelievably. 927sv% 1.80Gaa. Meantime Marty is at .899sv% and 2.52gaa. Go figure. 25 starts for Schneider and 29 for Marty.

All in all, it's guys like Gionta, Bernier, Henrique, Zajac, Volchenkov, Salvador, Harrold, Brodeur, and others that are stinking up the place. DeBoer can't help himself but to put our prospects in the pressbox or just senselessly bench them for no reason.

You probably didn't read this and that's fine.... but I hope it helps you get a sense of why we want this coach gone. His lineup decisions and regular decisions are awful as well as his time management and timeout calling.

Here's some funny time on ice stats from today's game. Salvador: 23:46, Volchenkov: 18:22 Greene: 17:14, Jagr: 15:00, Elias: 14:28, Brunner: 13:09, Zubrus: 14:14.

That is interesting. A lot of Vancouver fans said that AV is horrible with young players in the same way that you say Deboer is. Ironically, Kreider has absolutely flourished under AV. I really have expected more from Larsson. Despite him being a Devil, I really like him as a player and wanted to see him succeed.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I get crap on the Devils board for it but I really enjoy talking to the fans of the other team. It helps get a better perspective other than a Devils biased one. I really wanted Paul Maurice or Peter Laviolette as a coach.

Paul Maurice could've done a good job with the Devils, me thinks. Lavy not so much. Rational fans are always welcome here :handclap:.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Interesting perspective from njdevil26. DeBoer's reliance on Bernier, Gionta, and Carter usually works out against us since they can skate circles around our 4th line, but that's generally not a good strategy against other teams.

On that note, I'm thrilled we didn't give up a goal to the Devils 4th line. Those scrubs always score against us.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That is interesting. A lot of Vancouver fans said that AV is horrible with young players in the same way that you say Deboer is. Ironically, Kreider has absolutely flourished under AV. I really have expected more from Larsson. Despite him being a Devil, I really like him as a player and wanted to see him succeed.

I really think the Rangers won that coach swap. They need a guy who preaches a team game but also allows enough room for guys to explore the ice offensively. The defensemen and goalies you have are good enough to let the forwards forecheck and keep numbers in the offensive zone.

For us, Lou Lamoriello is also the problem. He refuses to make a trade. The team badly needs a talented left winger to go on the line with Zajac and Jagr. Instead, they have tried Boucher (rookie), Sislo (Rookie and career AHLer), Whitney (rookie and career AHLer) and Josefson (mismanaged young player who is also a center) up there. He needs to deal from his strength which is d-men and trade for a forward. The bargain bin shopping and promoting from within does not work for this team any more and Lou won't get the hint.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Interesting perspective from njdevil26. DeBoer's reliance on Bernier, Gionta, and Carter usually works out against us since they can skate circles around our 4th line, but that's generally not a good strategy against other teams.

On that note, I'm thrilled we didn't give up a goal to the Devils 4th line. Those scrubs always score against us.

They are a great fourth line. But that's it. 4th line. DeBoer has tried to make them anything but the fourth line. Carter and Gionta keep sneaking up to the third line. DeBoer benches young players so these guys can play. Bernier as been on every line this season and spent a lot of time as the second line right wing. Gionta is a top pairing penalty killer and a guy that finds his way on the ice with less than a minute to go in the game. The bottom six a month ago was:

Carter-Gionta-Bernier
Sestito-Loktionov-Janssen

Ugly.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Gotta say though, walking in, with it being so cold and such a big game... And seeing that rink in the middle of the stadium with all of the snow... One of the best sports experiences of my life.

With the snow starting to come down unexpectedly and the Rangers lighting them up in the second. One of the best stretches of Rangers hockey I've ever had the pleasure of being in attendance for. Glad I brought the flasks lol

Took the words right out of my mouth. Except I didn't bring a flask, and severely regretted it :laugh:.

Definitely one of my greatest ever hockey experiences.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I really think the Rangers won that coach swap. They need a guy who preaches a team game but also allows enough room for guys to explore the ice offensively. The defensemen and goalies you have are good enough to let the forwards forecheck and keep numbers in the offensive zone.

For us, Lou Lamoriello is also the problem. He refuses to make a trade. The team badly needs a talented left winger to go on the line with Zajac and Jagr. Instead, they have tried Boucher (rookie), Sislo (Rookie and career AHLer), Whitney (rookie and career AHLer) and Josefson (mismanaged young player who is also a center) up there. He needs to deal from his strength which is d-men and trade for a forward. The bargain bin shopping and promoting from within does not work for this team any more and Lou won't get the hint.

Who do you think would be a good target and what is available? Is there legitimately a match to be made?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

I thought I'd never see somebody seriously type "Lou is the problem". Wow.

I agree with you though. He thinks he's more clever than he actually is. Don't you guys have stable ownership now? Can't he go out and spend?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
They are a great fourth line. But that's it. 4th line. DeBoer has tried to make them anything but the fourth line. Carter and Gionta keep sneaking up to the third line. DeBoer benches young players so these guys can play. Bernier as been on every line this season and spent a lot of time as the second line right wing. Gionta is a top pairing penalty killer and a guy that finds his way on the ice with less than a minute to go in the game. The bottom six a month ago was:

Carter-Gionta-Bernier
Sestito-Loktionov-Janssen

Ugly.

Jesus christ the bolded fits Torts to a t.

Thanks for bringing back memories of Boyle and Fedotenko on the PP :laugh::cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1