Post-Game Talk: Devils vs Yankees...err, I mean Rangers

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I thought I'd never see somebody seriously type "Lou is the problem". Wow.

I agree with you though. He thinks he's more clever than he actually is. Don't you guys have stable ownership now? Can't he go out and spend?

Lou has an open checkbook now. I fully expect either Salvador or Volchenkov to get a compliance buyout. We have one left.... and I hope Lou goes spending.

To the person who asked who I'd target. I have a few ideas. Personally I would throw the checkbook at Vanek and Stastny in the offseason while letting Jagr and Gionta go.

For this season, Fayne plus a 2nd rounder should be good enough to get Sam Gagner.
Fayne by himself or with a fourth rounder should be able to get Jiri Tlusty. Hemksy would be cool too.

Tlusty-Zajac-Jagr
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Zubrus-Elias-Brunner
Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr
Elias-Gagner-Brunner
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Carter-Josefson-Bernier

I would also make a HUGE splash using the abundance of D prospects we have. Call me crazy, but I would deal Larsson/Boucher/any draft pick to Winnipeg for Evander Kane. He's rumored to be on the block.

Even a Larsson for Yakupov swap. Both players could use a change of scenery and one thing the Devils need the most is a talented young winger. The Devils have Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini, and Helgeson looking promising on D to make Larsson expendable. Say what you want about Yakupov and his Russian attitude... but he committed himself to playing the North American game by playing junior here. He could have went to the KHL but he took the junior/draft/NHL route. Edmonton has a super young team and not a lot of leadership. The Devils are a Euro friendly club and put Yakupov in a locker room with Elias, Jagr, Brodeur, Salvador, Zubrus, Greene, and other leadership figures with a good amount of Euro players and the watchful eye of Lou, and he would excel.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Jesus christ the bolded fits Torts to a t.

Thanks for bringing back memories of Boyle and Fedotenko on the PP :laugh::cry:

You think that's bad? When the Devils were down a goal to the Red Wings two months ago, Peter Harrold and Stephen Gionta were on the ice with less than a minute to go to try to tie up the game. I saw that and just got up and went in the other room.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Larsson for Yakupov straight up would be a deal I make if I'm Lou. It just makes too much sense for both sides.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
You think that's bad? When the Devils were down a goal to the Red Wings two months ago, Peter Harrold and Stephen Gionta were on the ice with less than a minute to go to try to tie up the game. I saw that and just got up and went in the other room.

Okay, that's pretty bad.

I mean, Boyle's big at least :dunno:? I remember seeing Steve Bernier at the net front on the Devils' PP and wondering what the hell PDB was doing there.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Okay, that's pretty bad.

I mean, Boyle's big at least :dunno:? I remember seeing Steve Bernier at the net front on the Devils' PP and wondering what the hell PDB was doing there.

His reasoning is most likely because Clarkson was so good there PDB is trying to recreate it. Bernier has a low hockey IQ and is just a fourth line winger. Nothing else,.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Jesus christ the bolded fits Torts to a t.

Thanks for bringing back memories of Boyle and Fedotenko on the PP :laugh::cry:

Aaaah! Noooooooo!

Thanks to njdevil36 for some good insight on something I really don't know a whole lot about. I really like Vigneault's bottom six management; I feel like it's conducive to giving more chances to a wider range of guys. JT Miller isn't up here now but he was on a hot line in his brief spell this season and the system in general is probably easier on a skill player coming up in the league. Square pegs in square holes. The fulcrum of the whole thing is an extremely trustworthy, defense-first fourth line, which is why I kinda feel like I'm the Dominic Moore and Brian Boyle Internet Defense Force over here.

Today was a bit of an aberration in recent Rangers-Devils history; we've been beaten by Paul DeBoer hockey lots of times here, so HFNYR thinks a lot of the guy. The Devils' roster's pretty weak on paper but since the Metro division is a horrible mess, they still have a chance at the playoffs. Coaches are judged on a year-to-year basis so I can't blame him for playing all the graybeards, even though I'm sure it would be frustrating as hell if I was closer to it.

Also I'm so curious about Yakupov's career in general. Lots of good fits for him.

Kherron

Oct 7, 2012
Was at the stadium, was a fun atmosphere. Cold as ****.

Glad they pulled it out. There were actually slightly more devils fans there IMO, but didn't matter after the first thank god. I walked the stadium the entire game, plenty of open seats. Probably 70% capacity, maybe less.

Tough to analyze each teams game. You could tell the goalies were fighting it. It was just a weird thing for them. It was a big surprise seeing the snow, but it was a blast.what a second. Awesome that Marty blew it. Couldn't stop a bowling ball

Yup, mentioned the empty seats in the Yankee Stadium thread.

I think Wednesday is going to be even worse because the Devils put in a pretty decent showing. I don't think as many Isles fans are going to go and I also don't see a lot of Rangers fans going to both.

Really? The announced attendence was 50,105. Capacity is 50,291 :huh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW IMO Peter DeBoer isn't the Devils biggest problem--LL is. He was great for a long time but post lockout he's made mistake after mistake. They need to get younger fast but they don't have enough quality kids on the way. Defensively they do but apart from Boucher and Matteau there's not too much as far as good forward prospects and Matteau strikes me more as a 3rd line type than a 2nd line. They need to rebuild at least somewhat but they need to start with the GM. The fiasco over losing the first round draft pick likely gets worse because they strung out the forfeiture. Had to have that end of the first round pick--Matteau instead of the 8 to 15 pick they would have probably got this year. And I don't get the Zajac contract. Most of us here who want to re-sign Callahan or Girardi want to keep the term limit down to 4-5 years each. Schneider was a good pick up. Ditto for Jagr--but that's short term.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Should've added Ulfie to the poll. I have never seen Stralman throw a hit like that. It has Ulfie's fingers all over it.
If Stralman can be as confident with his back turned as he is facing up, he would be a pretty good D.
Monster game for Staal and Stralman.

varanger94

Jan 11, 2011
I'm watching some of this game on DVR right now but wow could Doc Emrick try to sound a little happier when the Rangers score.

He sounded more and more depressed as the game went on.

Can't stand him.

How About Milbury and team. After the first period he credited the Devils for their great play. Showed just Devils highlights. After the second period he talks about how the Rangers were basically lucky due to bounces and deflections. Absolutely gave the Rangers no credit whatsoever. Funny I rmember a game that the Pens got three deflction goals in one period and he said, Great teams earn their breaks with hustle and hard work. Hey, He was such a great GM, who am I to say anything about him. The experience would have been so much better with Sam, Joe and MSG doing the game.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
How About Milbury and team. After the first period he credited the Devils for their great play. Showed just Devils highlights. After the second period he talks about how the Rangers were basically lucky due to bounces and deflections. Absolutely gave the Rangers no credit whatsoever. Funny I rmember a game that the Pens got three deflction goals in one period and he said, Great teams earn their breaks with hustle and hard work. Hey, He was such a great GM, who am I to say anything about him. The experience would have been so much better with Sam, Joe and MSG doing the game.

What I'd give to have Sam call the two SS games...

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Why do I have a bad feeling that the Isles are going to do this to us on Wednesday?..

Because it's probably true. :laugh:

They play us at MSG like its game 7 of the SCF. I can only imagine what playing the rangers at Yankee Stadium will do to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00