Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Marino and 5th to Utah for #49 and ‘25 EDM 2nd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Does Pesce end up blocking Nemec? Or does he get relegated to the 3rd pair as a luxury? You'd think they would want to give Nemec a path to top 4 time sooner than later.

Does Hamilton eventually become available? Pesce open up a move with a team like the Sabres for a Nemec/Power or Byram swap? Jersey needs another top defensive LD to play with Hamilton, yes? (Not saying Byram or Power are necessarily that).

Nemec isn't available, there will be plenty of minutes to go around.

NJ does need a LD, but most likely will sign one via free agency.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Does Pesce end up blocking Nemec? Or does he get relegated to the 3rd pair as a luxury? You'd think they would want to give Nemec a path to top 4 time sooner than later.

Does Hamilton eventually become available? Pesce open up a move with a team like the Sabres for a Nemec/Power or Byram swap? Jersey needs another top defensive LD to play with Hamilton, yes? (Not saying Byram or Power are necessarily that).
I think all 3 will get around 20 minutes. Dougie will get PP time and the other PK time. Eventually Nemec increasing his time over the years.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
This trade was good value if nothing else. Turning Ty Smith and a third into two seconds and a solid year of Marino is pretty good.

Certainly better value than the other trade today.
I would have liked to see have seen the Devils turn some of the assets into a legit top six or middle six forward. Hopefully that is coming soon via trade or in free agency.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
So many folks stuck in a rebuild mindset when this team is clearing room for more win now players that fit better

Hell, this isn’t even a bad value deal so the whining is bizarre
I'd get what you're saying if 'clearing room' wasn't getting draft picks for a guy who is here and could help us and if we didn't need more than six dmen to actually make it thru the season.

Marino on that contract in a reduced third pairing role seems like the Severson luxury of two years back. If it is just about size and ruggedness, why ship Bahl out?

Pesce isn't in the bag and it just means that instead of being 8 or 9 deep without having to play garbage, we are

Siegs Hamilton
Luke Nemec
? ?
? ?

Can't be Brendan Smith/DiSimone again.
Even if we get Dillon / Pesce I'm not sure if we are significantly better, and what happens if one guy goes down?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'd get what you're saying if 'clearing room' wasn't getting draft picks for a guy who is here and could help us and if we didn't need more than six dmen to actually make it thru the season.

Marino on that contract in a reduced third pairing role seems like the Severson luxury of two years back. If it is just about size and ruggedness, why ship Bahl out?

Pesce isn't in the bag and it just means that instead of being 8 or 9 deep without having to play garbage, we are

Siegs Hamilton
Luke Nemec
? ?
? ?

Even if we get Dillon / Pesce I'm not sure if we are significantly better, and what happens if one guy goes down?
Healthy first pairing

+

Pesce + Dillon/other Vet D is 100% an upgrade over Bahl and Marino

I am sure Fitz will look for a 7th D as well

+

Hatakka Desimone are capable fillers

+

Keefe system

I have no worries if all that happens.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Siegs Hamilton
Luke Nemec
? ?
? ?

Im sure a depth guy will be signed but they have DiSimone and Hatakka, MacDermid in a pinch. Any long term injury could prove troublesome unless they bring in a low paid vet like Smith.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

I assume Luke/Pesce will be the higher pair to start over Nemec and his D partner but once Nemec shows he can carry a 1RD responsibility, Dougie will probably be traded to make way for Seamus Casey and Pesce will be on the third pair. They have a decent path to cut costs in the future so the present isn't really that much of a challenge right now for them with regards to time of ice, it's more so understanding when the younger guys become those elite minute munchers we expect them to be which should be relatively soon.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Healthy first pairing

+

Pesce + Dillon/other Vet D is 100% an upgrade over Bahl and Marino

I am sure Fitz will look for a 7th D as well

+

Hatakka Desimone are capable fillers

+

Keefe system

I have no worries if all that happens.

Yes I agree, but you're absolutely banking on your second line happening and it's all fiction right now. Say Both of those guys go elsewhere and while there are other pretty decent options UFA, none of them would look nearly as good (return of an older Kulikov? Tanev?) and would probably take overpays.

I'm not saying that it's going to be a Jack Johnson Giordano pairing but going into UFA expecting to nab two of the best options as 'the plan' is well... Kudos if you pull it off.

Pesce played 70 games and is pretty high mileage. Dillon will be 34 this year and any contract to give will prob have at least 3-4 years of post 35 on it.

And the guys you shipped don't help you at all in UFA so maybe Fitz is really gearing to send those futures in a trade instead?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yes I agree, but you're absolutely banking on your second line happening and it's all fiction right now. Say Both of those guys go elsewhere and while there are other pretty decent options UFA, none of them would look nearly as good (return of an older Kulikov? Tanev?) and would probably take overpays.

I'm not saying that it's going to be a Jack Johnson Giordano pairing but going into UFA expecting to nab two of the best options as 'the plan' is well... Kudos if you pull it off.

Pesce played 70 games and is pretty high mileage. Dillon will be 34 this year and any contract to give will prob have at least 3-4 years of post 35 on it.

And the guys you shipped don't help you at all in UFA so maybe Fitz is really gearing to send those futures in a trade instead?
We shall see what Monday has in store. But its pretty clear that Fitz has a very good plan ready, also, NJ is now a destination for players. People want to come here so it will make things go easier for free agency

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I assume Luke/Pesce will be the higher pair to start over Nemec and his D partner but once Nemec shows he can carry a 1RD responsibility, Dougie will probably be traded to make way for Seamus Casey and Pesce will be on the third pair. They have a decent path to cut costs in the future so the present isn't really that much of a challenge right now for them with regards to time of ice, it's more so understanding when the younger guys become those elite minute munchers we expect them to be which should be relatively soon.
How close do you think Casey is realistically?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I said I wasn't going to like this when it happens, and I don't. I am probably the most optimistic on a rebound for Marino (his 2022-23 was excellent) and I did not want him traded.

They're going to replace him with someone older, more expensive, and already declining. I don't think it's good.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Bunch of AGE-ISTS around here. Im 34, I bet you all think I should be in a nursing home.
Pssshh… You should be so lucky

I was 34 20 years ago :laugh:
IMG_0163.gif

Good lord, that makes you almost 80.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Now I just use old football players jersey numbers to convey my age...

Like my birthday is coming up at the end of July and when someone asks me how old I am, I am just going to reply Brian Urlacher.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I said I wasn't going to like this when it happens, and I don't. I am probably the most optimistic on a rebound for Marino (his 2022-23 was excellent) and I did not want him traded.

They're going to replace him with someone older, more expensive, and already declining. I don't think it's good.
2.5 year difference. Pesce has a down but still better year than Marino and he’s “already declining”. And Marino has a disaster year and will rebound?

I’m not even in love with this potential swap but that just seems like a bit much. I really don’t think management bothers doing all this unless they have some really strong evidence that the fit is much better for what they’re trying to do.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This trade was good value if nothing else. Turning Ty Smith and a third into two seconds and a solid year of Marino is pretty good.

Certainly better value than the other trade today.
The Smith-Marino trade was certainly good value for NJ.

Was the Marino-picks trade good value is a different question.

I leave the trade for which we acquired Marino out of the equation. What I do factor in though is the fact that we are likely getting Pesce to fill that spot. Have to also factor in Pesce's contract so all variables are not yet known, but I feel we have to wait and see who fills that spot before judging the trade.

The trade in a vacuum seems like we didn't do all that great though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad