Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Marino and 5th to Utah for #49 and ‘25 EDM 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Extremely jank deal but he didn't have a future here so it's basically a mid deal

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Whatever but it seems more like lateral move for a worse contract.

I don't see the point honestly.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
The offer for pesce is apparently 6.5x6.
It’s very real they’re aiming for him. He’s apparently interested as well. Devils will also apparently take a run at Dillon.

I’m just annoyed another good trade piece, like the first round pick we pissed away on a project when better players were there with less issues, was used for nothing picks.
rage bait is my kink and you make me soooooo sweaty bro

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Sorry to see you go, my esteemed colleague.

1719683232884.png

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
For a guy who preaches fits and defensive dmen, I thought you would've loved the approach the Devils to the defense this summer lol

Marino one for one for Pesce doesn't really do much for our Defense from my POV.

And we're probably going to pay 2M more per year for it. I just don't see the point when there are so many other areas that need to be addressed and are going to cost money.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Marino one for one for Pesce doesn't really do much for our Defense from my POV.

And we're probably going to pay 2M more per year for it. I just don't see the point when there are so many other areas that need to be addressed and are going to cost money.
Management must see Pesce as a significantly better fit for Luke than Marino.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Why did they dump this guy for just picks...huh

I guess Winnipeg laughed at them with a starting proposal of marino for mcgroarty

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

I think it's the idea that Marino can't be the rover he was with Luke that he was with Graves. I would've loved to keep Marino but who do you realistically pair him with to get that 22-23 Marino? Siegs? He was a head case himself and it's asking for trouble, it would also mean that Luke would be with Dougie most likely and we'd be ripping out our collective hairs with the mistakes that pair would be. It sucks but if they were going for a more cohesive unit then Marino had to go unfortunately.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I would imagine that is the case. Is it worth the extra money though?

1.5-2M more for a better pairing and Luke unlocking with a more defensive partner, easy yes. The issue is Pesce's decline might hit hard but that's the entire premise of UFA, these players have flaws which is why their original teams let them walk to UFA.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
1.5-2M more for a better pairing and Luke unlocking with a more defensive partner, easy yes. The issue is Pesce's decline might hit hard but that's the entire premise of UFA, these players have flaws which is why their original teams let them walk to UFA.
The thing is after you pay Pesce an extra 2m to replace Marino and accommodate Luke, then you are going to have to give Luke a massive contract too...

Seems like a frivolous use of cap space?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think it's the idea that Marino can't be the rover he was with Luke that he was with Graves. I would've loved to keep Marino but who do you realistically pair him with to get that 22-23 Marino? Siegs? He was a head case himself and it's asking for trouble, it would also mean that Luke would be with Dougie most likely and we'd be ripping out our collective hairs with the mistakes that pair would be. It sucks but if they were going for a more cohesive unit then Marino had to go unfortunately.

Siegenthaler-Marino was a bad pairing, 47% xG, now granted I imagine a lot of that was in specialized situations but you'd think on paper that pairing would be better and it wasn't.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah to expound on a point someone made about Pesce being a better fit with Luke, the reported interest in Dillon also makes sense as a vet partner for Nemec. Then you have your two prized sophomores with long-time vets as opposed to Marino having to be more stay-at-home with Luke and Bahl with Nemec, also putting Siegs back with Dougie and hope they recapture the magic of two-three years ago.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think it's pretty clear what the plan is: Siegenthaler-Dougie is the short-term workhorse pairing who soak up minutes and will eventually be phased out via trade within the next ~2 years.

Luke gets Pesce as a long-term partner and mentor while Nemec gets Dillon as a long-term partner and mentor. As they grow and mature, they will get more responsibility until they're ready to take over as elite top pairing guys.

Siegenthaler leaving opens the door for Silayev and Dougie leaving opens the door for Casey while clearing pretty significant salary. We should be able to get assets for both of those guys, Siege is still relatively young and has a good contract and Dougie's deal will be much easier to move starting next summer.

Marino didn't really elevate Luke, or for Bahl either. He did pretty poorly with Siege this year too. Good player, but if he's unable to shelter/compliment the young players effectively then he's not going to have a ton of value on this roster. Long term, Luke and Nemec are the cornerstone pieces. If you can't play effectively with one of them then you're not in the top-4 and you shouldn't be making top-4 money.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'm not liking the things we are doing if I'm being honest. Hope whatever the direction is (because I'm losing sight of it) works.

In the same boat as you. But I didn't like a lot of things Lou did and well, it ended up working out (until it didn't post lockout).

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The thing is after you pay Pesce an extra 2m to replace Marino and accommodate Luke, then you are going to have to give Luke a massive contract too...

I really dont feel like Luke and Marino played well together last year.

To me this is a pure fit thing right wrong or indifferent. Marino didnt fit with Luke going forward from what they saw. They feel that Pesce defensive ablilities will be a better fit so yes that will make the defense over all better. T

Pesce is always extremely good on the PK which is something else they want to improve.

The money will work out everyone always talks about it and year after year we watch teams dump contracts with ease. Hell we have 3 2nds next year we could attach one and send Palat somewhere.

We should let the plan come together and see what happens.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

If Luke becomes the player we think he should with a better defensive partner, I have no problems with paying him his worth. We went a decade plus with bum rosters, if we get good players finally that should be the least of our worries. Unlocking the young dmen has to be the priority of Keefe/Fitz along with consistent playoffs imo

Siegenthaler-Marino was a bad pairing, 47% xG, now granted I imagine a lot of that was in specialized situations but you'd think on paper that pairing would be better and it wasn't.

Right and after their awful years in 23-24, you just couldn't bank on them coming back to their elite levels. That was too optimistic for the biggest Siegs and Marino defenders. It also leaves the doubt who is Luke's partner too which was a clear issue last year for the coaching staff where he juggled around the lineup a bit

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I didn’t even know about the NTC kicking in. That makes it worse. Just dumping a guy cause there is someone better willing to sign in NJ. He had a bad year, I get it, that’s the gig, it’s a cold league.

It's a business, not a charity. If there's a better player, then yea the worst player will get dumped.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think it's pretty clear what the plan is: Siegenthaler-Dougie is the short-term workhorse pairing who soak up minutes and will eventually be phased out via trade within the next ~2 years.

Luke gets Pesce as a long-term partner and mentor while Nemec gets Dillon as a long-term partner and mentor. As they grow and mature, they will get more responsibility until they're ready to take over as elite top pairing guys.

Siegenthaler leaving opens the door for Silayev and Dougie leaving opens the door for Casey while clearing pretty significant salary. We should be able to get assets for both of those guys, Siege is still relatively young and has a good contract and Dougie's deal will be much easier to move starting next summer.

Marino didn't really elevate Luke, or for Bahl either. He did pretty poorly with Siege this year too. Good player, but if he's unable to shelter/compliment the young players effectively then he's not going to have a ton of value on this roster. Long term, Luke and Nemec are the cornerstone pieces. If you can't play effectively with one of them then you're not in the top-4 and you shouldn't be making top-4 money.

Bingo, they still think Dougie can carry Siegs like in 22-23. They're basically waiting for Silayev and Casey to break through to take over Siegs/Hamliton roles for the team as the minute munching/rover pair while Luke/Nemec become the pair behind them fully developed into monsters as well and then you have Pesce on the third pair and hopefully doesn't become a nuisance with his cap hit at that point. Chances are Dougie is traded once they think Nemec is the true 1RHD and Casey is on the cusp of being a regular. Rinse and repeat as most NHL blue lines are in today's cap era

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Bingo, they still think Dougie can carry Siegs like in 22-23. They're basically waiting for Silayev and Casey to break through to take over Siegs/Hamliton roles for the team as the minute munching/rover pair while Luke/Nemec become the pair behind them fully developed into monsters as well and then you have Pesce on the third pair and hopefully doesn't become a nuisance with his cap hit at that point. Chances are Dougie is traded once they think Nemec is the true 1RHD and Casey is on the cusp of being a regular. Rinse and repeat as most NHL blue lines are in today's cap era

At that point with how much the cap will go up a 6 million dollar AAV will feel like a 4 million AAV now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad