Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Marino and 5th to Utah for #49 and ‘25 EDM 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Bingo, they still think Dougie can carry Siegs like in 22-23. They're basically waiting for Silayev and Casey to break through to take over Siegs/Hamliton roles for the team as the minute munching/rover pair while Luke/Nemec become the pair behind them fully developed into monsters as well and then you have Pesce on the third pair and hopefully doesn't become a nuisance with his cap hit at that point. Chances are Dougie is traded once they think Nemec is the true 1RHD and Casey is on the cusp of being a regular. Rinse and repeat as most NHL blue lines are in today's cap era
The AAV that keeps getting thrown around for Pesce seems to be 5.5-6.5, which will be peanuts. The cap will be over 100M by the time that deal ends.

If he can give us three years of quality top-4 defensive play, I can totally live with the tail end of that deal.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
At that point with how much the cap will go up a 6 million dollar AAV will feel like a 4 million AAV now.

Probably true which is why there should be no issue with Pesce as the 3RD

The AAV that keeps getting thrown around for Pesce seems to be 5.5-6.5, which will be peanuts. The cap will be over 100M by the time that deal ends.

If he can give us three years of quality top-4 defensive play, I can totally live with the tail end of that deal.

Yeah totally fair, I love the approach they're taking tbh because it basically tells Luke/Nemec and this entire defense what their roles are as opposed to last year where it seemed like there was games they wanted Luke/Nemec to be the defensive guy and then the following game them to be rovers. Clear cut roles are what Florida did with their defensive core and it got them a Cup.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I made that justification for Palat too but he hasn't even given us enough on the FRONT end to justify it. Hopefully we aren't just signing a washed Pesce.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There’s a certain sense to trading Marino for Pesce, but only if you’re using Marino to upgrade at forward. Do not get moving Marino for picks at all.
Well even Fitz on a shopping spree probably can't fix everything in one offseason, he's clearly prioritizing reshaping D/G and hoping good health and maybe some bargain bin shopping improves us up front.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
There’s a certain sense to trading Marino for Pesce, but only if you’re using Marino to upgrade at forward. Do not get moving Marino for picks at all.

Part of me thinks they dumpster dive for a top6 forward in UFA like a Bertuzzi and then hope they can be good enough to make a splash at the deadline again like they did in 22/23. Not to the extent of Timo but something to shore up the top 6 with a nice bow

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Definitely mixed bag thoughts on this. Giving up on Marino has to mean we are getting an upgrade.

If we don't have an upgrade by seasons start, this will be a total fail. Marino was a hell of a d man in our record season. This year was probably an anomaly for his play.
No way this move happens without an impact player or two coming our way. Monday should be fun !!! Can wait to tune in to our first game in Oct !!!

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
We have all off-season to use that 2nd in conjunction with anything else to get that player. Maybe not everyone needs a RD with that contract, but every team looking to trade a guy can use another 2nd round pick. Basically just sold him for a gift card.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So idk maybe don’t trade the guy when his value tanked
Then you risk it being even lower if he was sub-par again next season.

Although I do think there's a good chance he'll be good this coming season.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So many folks stuck in a rebuild mindset when this team is clearing room for more win now players that fit better

Hell, this isn’t even a bad value deal so the whining is bizarre
I think people are afraid for what we may sign Pesce for.

And it's probably not gonna be good, but we should be able to send it to the dumping ground in time if it's not good. I'm sure we'll get several good years out of him.

Some people are acting like we took the interim tag off Travis Green and made him head coach, after letting Ottawa hire Keefe lol.

And I don't mean just in this thread. In the Schmid/Holtz trade thread too.

Reactions: NJDevs26

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
I still hate trading a young Dman on a good contract when his value is at the lowest, on the basis of a rumor that we're getting an aging replacement on what's going to be a big contract. There's going to be lots of money tied up in D.

Pesce is older, but not by that much. I think its hilarious that he is 2.5 years older than Marino, but Marino is "young" while Pesce is "aging"

Pesce DOB: 11/15/94
Marino DOB: 5/21/97

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Pesce is older, but not by that much. I think its hilarious that he is 2.5 years older than Marino, but Marino is "young" while Pesce is "aging"

Pesce DOB: 11/15/94
Marino DOB: 5/21/97
HF:
IMG_2720.png
IMG_4468.png

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
So many folks stuck in a rebuild mindset when this team is clearing room for more win now players that fit better

Hell, this isn’t even a bad value deal so the whining is bizarre

But this is a rebuild trade of sorts (so far). Giving up a seasoned D for two picks and waiting on a promised upgrade. We haven't actually yet replaced Marino and there is no guarantee it is Pesce.

Yes we can see the vision going on here, but it's not yet a reality. Crazy shit can happen in the UFA season. Deals fall through all the time for bespoke reasons. (Gfs, wives, other teams come in with over the top offers, change of mind).

I'll hold my real ire if we don't upgrade. But I can definitely understand why people are nervous about this move.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But this is a rebuild trade of sorts (so far). Giving up a seasoned D for two picks and waiting on a promised upgrade. We haven't actually yet replaced Marino and there is no guarantee it is Pesce.

Yes we can see the vision going on here, but it's not yet a reality. Crazy shit can happen in the UFA season. Deals fall through all the time for bespoke reasons. (Gfs, wives, other teams come in with over the top offers, change of mind).

I'll hold my real ire if we don't upgrade. But I can definitely understand why people are nervous about this move.
I get that and we can't exactly complain if a deal falls through because then it'd be proof of tampering to begin with...but if we do get left holding the bag for whatever reason without Pesce or a comparable FA add then it's a fireable offense tbh.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I liked Marino a lot. Previous year was full of troubles but he could bounce back I believe. Would prefer to fight for Skjei and stay with Marino.
But Pesce is a good defenseman. If Fitz will sign Pesce and solid defenseman for two years - it would be okay.
Compensation is okay too.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Does Pesce end up blocking Nemec? Or does he get relegated to the 3rd pair as a luxury? You'd think they would want to give Nemec a path to top 4 time sooner than later.

Does Hamilton eventually become available? Pesce open up a move with a team like the Sabres for a Nemec/Power or Byram swap? Jersey needs another top defensive LD to play with Hamilton, yes? (Not saying Byram or Power are necessarily that).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad