Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It's not even so much about having faith in them, it's more about the new regime finding out exactly what they have and where they need to improve. But at some point they have to find out once and for all what they have in a Boucher, Matteau and even Josefson and how far away guys like Quenneville and Blandisi (among others) are. Then they can act accordingly. That's why I think you're not seeing PTO's up the wazoo like Lou's last couple of years or patch signings. They want to give what's in their system the bulk of their attention to evaluate them better.

100% nailed it. There's no point in Shero trying to think 3-4 years when he doesn't know what he has on the team right now. There are so many question marks in the organization that you might as well take a season to evaluate them. That doesn't mean tank, it doesn't mean "don't make incremental upgrades" or "don't acquire any forward over 24." It means make sure young players get some opportunities and hope they run with them. If not, have a backup.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He is an upgrade.

I'd have to disagree with you here.

Unless we're talking an upgrade to some of the 4th line guys like Gionta and Tootoo.

I'd say he's definitely an upgrade to them, possibly even the more unproven guys like Josefson too.

He's probably even an upgrade over if we brought back Bernier again.

I don't really see much from him though, not during his time with the Sharks more recently.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'd have to disagree with you here.

Unless we're talking an upgrade to some of the 4th line guys like Gionta and Tootoo.

I'd say he's definitely an upgrade to them, possibly even the more unproven guys like Josefson too.

He's probably even an upgrade over if we brought back Bernier again.

I don't really see much from him though, not during his time with the Sharks more recently.

He is an upgrade in the sense that he knocks people down on the depth chart. Sadly.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He is an upgrade in the sense that he knocks people down on the depth chart. Sadly.

I'd warm up to it if he can knock some of those guys out, although I think Tootoo is a good 4th liner. Gionta isn't worse than most team's 4th liner's IMO, but I'd be okay with upgrading him and he should never be playing center or taking a draw.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I think Bleed's talking about Tyler Kennedy and you're talking about Tlusty? Tyler Kennedy's not knocking anyone down a depth chart except maybe the fourth-line grinders and he's not even under contract.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
if it were me (I may forget someone, alot of moves this year haha

Tlusty - Zajac - Cammalleri
Henrique - Elias - Palmieri
Boucher - Josefson - Matteau
Tootoo - Gionta - Ruutu

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
100% nailed it. There's no point in Shero trying to think 3-4 years when he doesn't know what he has on the team right now. There are so many question marks in the organization that you might as well take a season to evaluate them. That doesn't mean tank, it doesn't mean "don't make incremental upgrades" or "don't acquire any forward over 24." It means make sure young players get some opportunities and hope they run with them. If not, have a backup.

This is a bit confusing to me.

I understand what you're saying, but it's not as if the Albany Devils won the Calder Cup last year, or that there are players who are lighting up lower leagues and not getting a shot.

With a new system and new management, it's worth giving everyone a fresh start and a new evaluation period. But, it's also not wrong to identify opportunities to bring in NHL talent. Like the deal to bring in Tlusty. If there were stars just waiting for their opportunity, it'd be one thing, but the reality is that the Devils have forward prospects who are most likely to turn into complementary / role players if they make the NHL at all.

And, btw, the deal that Carolina made to get Versteeg also brought in a 23 year old forward who put up 33 points in 58 AHL games in 2014 (not great, but that would have ranked fifth on the Albany team last year, ahead of Boucher and Matteau), and let them swap their fifth rounder for a third. All just for eating Versteeg's salary. The Canes gave up a former 6th rounder and a career AHLer. That deal is entirely about the future. And, Versteeg probably makes Carolina better today as well (though, admittedly, not much better).

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Baseball is obviously another sport, but I've just watched them go from an abysmal losing culture to a winning one. It took patience and understanding that these things take time to work themselves out. The Matt Harveys and Jacob deGroms didn't suffer because the teams around them stunk, their talent was enough to bring them their own success and gave the team something to build on. I'm not concerned about the 'fragile psyches' of young players...sometimes an organization needs to take its medicine, otherwise it can result in being mired in mediocrity.

There are definitely times when the tanking model works, and there are also times when it doesn't. Certainly there are some young players who have both the talent and the mental toughness to overcome a losing culture, be successful, and create a winning culture, but that's a tall order to put before young players--especially if we're talking just drafted at eighteen kids whose brains brains and bodies aren't even fully developed necessarily.

Nothing wrong with trying to foster an environment more conducive to their success, as well as to the success of potentially less talented or less mentally tough young players who might need a better environment to maximize their potential. I don't think a team where losing is embraced is an optimal one for any player's development, although some are more obviously harmed than others.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
There are definitely times when the tanking model works, and there are also times when it doesn't. Certainly there are some young players who have both the talent and the mental toughness to overcome a losing culture, be successful, and create a winning culture, but that's a tall order to put before young players--especially if we're talking just drafted at eighteen kids whose brains brains and bodies aren't even fully developed necessarily.

Nothing wrong with trying to foster an environment more conducive to their success, as well as to the success of potentially less talented or less mentally tough young players who might need a better environment to maximize their potential. I don't think a team where losing is embraced is an optimal one for any player's development, although some are more obviously harmed than others.

I don't know that I'm necessarily advocating tanking, I just wouldn't worry myself with winning 3-5 more games that in the long run likely won't mean anything. I think I understand your point, I just feel that pro athletes (while human) are pretty resilient otherwise they wouldn't be pro athletes.

TheDarkSideOfThePuck

Aug 27, 2009
Ottawa
My guess

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Henrique-Tlusty
Blandisi-Josefson-Ruutu (if Blandisi doesn't make the team put Ruutu at LW and Kalinin at RW
Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo
Kalinin, O'Brien

Greene-Severson
Gelinas-Larsson
Merrill-Moore
Schlemko

Schneider
Kinkaid

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Depends on how you look at the situation this may be a good thing with bringing in guys on one year contracts, because, I assume that Devils management doesn't believe prospects like Zacha, JQ, Blandisi, etc., are ready for prime time after last weeks tournament.

Other than Matteau and possibly Kalinin, I doubt any other kids make it with today's signing and the addition of a couple PTO.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
if they believed that than they would have known that before a 2 game tournament. Not that is a necessity for them to make the team anyway. Regardless of a team's situation there will be guys coming on one year deals or PTO's every year

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Depends on how you look at the situation this may be a good thing with bringing in guys on one year contracts, because, I assume that Devils management doesn't believe prospects like Zacha, JQ, Blandisi, etc., are ready for prime time after last weeks tournament.

Other than Matteau and possibly Kalinin, I doubt any other kids make it with today's signing and the addition of a couple PTO.

This is exactly my thoughts, we have a bunch of unknowns, and no one showed that they belonged in the show with last weekends performance. Stemps and Kennedy are just plan B if the kids aren't ready(i dont think most of them are).

Let's not forget that one of our ATO's from a few years back just signed a $30 million contract with Tampa less than a year ago. This is a great way to infuse your system with talent, without giving up assets, and with little risk.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't ever remember having so many question marks on a roster going into training camp and it excites the hell out of me!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
PTO's always happen at the last minute cause guys are going to hold out till the last minute to get actual contracts, like Tlusty did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad