Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't know that I'm necessarily advocating tanking, I just wouldn't worry myself with winning 3-5 more games that in the long run likely won't mean anything. I think I understand your point, I just feel that pro athletes (while human) are pretty resilient otherwise they wouldn't be pro athletes.

I don't think there is that much difference between winning 3-5 more games in an 82 game season unless we were a team that was likely to be on the border of making the playoffs vs. not, but that doesn't seem to be where we are at right now. I would always just rather win the games than lose them, but there are limited assets I'd be willing to give up to win them.

And I do agree that most pro athletes are going to be resilient, but I think that can vary a good deal. For instance, I think Larsson has some issues with that. He's very talented, but I think his confidence is probably an even bigger concern than his skating. I think the Devils will have to take care to keep it up at least while he is developing, but I feel that's worth the effort because he is so talented and when he is confident, he does very well.

We don't really seem that far apart. I just felt like people were getting a bit too extreme about things earlier, and I tend to prefer more moderation and nuance in my perspective on most aspects of life and sports.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
if they believed that than they would have known that before a 2 game tournament. Not that is a necessity for them to make the team anyway. Regardless of a team's situation there will be guys coming on one year deals or PTO's every year

My thoughts. Tlusty is making so little he can easily be pushed aside if a kid beats him at camp an a PTO is zero commitment.

I think it's really more Shero wants a highly competitive camp and guys battling for spots.

Something I agree with because it definitely seemed at times last year guys just floating for stints. Not enough hunger.

My guess is Shero is building a new attitude from the ground up and wants to get rid of the country club stuff we sort of had going on. Something that takes time but you have to start with step 1

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My thoughts. Tlusty is making so little he can easily be pushed aside if a kid beats him at camp an a PTO is zero commitment.

I think it's really more Shero wants a highly competitive camp and guys battling for spots.

Something I agree with because it definitely seemed at times last year guys just floating for stints. Not enough hunger.

My guess is Shero is building a new attitude from the ground up and wants to get rid of the country club stuff we sort of had going on. Something that takes time but you have to start with step 1

I got so frustrated last season when we knew going into the season our roster was garbage and all the spots were basically handed out to veterans already. Lou is much better at managing a playoff roster than he is rebuilding one. He is so damn competitive that he doesn't know when it's time to hit the restart button.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I got so frustrated last season when we knew going into the season our roster was garbage and all the spots were basically handed out to veterans already. Lou is much better at managing a playoff roster than he is rebuilding one. He is so damn competitive that he doesn't know when it's time to hit the restart button.

A lot was Pete too as far as the Vets getting preferential treatment. Lou seemed to just be running out the stretch and cobbling together as many wins on Cory's back as he could.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

I agree but I don't think a young guy is pushing Tlusty out of the lineup--he's one of the legit middle 6 producers the Devils have.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-what-voynovs-return-to-russia-could-mean/

9. Asked a few execs about an under-the-radar team that might still make an interesting move or two. No overwhelming favourite, although New Jersey was mentioned a few times. GM Ray Shero is taking the long view and his owners are patient (see Philadelphia 76ers), but he’s got a ton of flexibility. It’s not just cap room. After signing Jiri Tlusty, the Devils are at 43 contracts, although it could go to 45 if John Quenneville and Pavel Zacha make the roster. The max is 50.

to me, that means Shero has been active in the trade market.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I wouldn't say I'm expecting it, but it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Shero pulled off a move like the Leddy and Boychuk ones from last year - targeting a cap-strapped team. Not sure who's out there though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wouldn't say I'm expecting it, but it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Shero pulled off a move like the Leddy and Boychuk ones from last year - targeting a cap-strapped team. Not sure who's out there though.

He is definitely trying. He definitely is looking for ways to make us better without wrecking things else where.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Wow I absolutely, completely, 100% forgot about Sergei Kalinin. His still on a two-way ELC, but I haven't even been thinking of him when going through lines and roster spots and whatnot.

NHL Fanatik*

Old, but interesting nonetheless. Never saw this before.

As for Shero being active, Id like a trade as long as it doesnt involve Larsson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
So with today's developments, here's the update lineup for me:

Cammy - Zajac - Palmieri
Elias - Henrique - Tlusty
Matteau - Josefson - Stepniak
Ruutu - O'Brian - Tootoo

Don't see any of Zacha, Blandisi, Coleman, etc in this lineup unless there are injuries. Maybe Coleman as a 4th liner.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
So with today's developments, here's the update lineup for me:

Cammy - Zajac - Palmieri
Elias - Henrique - Tlusty
Matteau - Josefson - Stepniak
Ruutu - O'Brian - Tootoo

Don't see any of Zacha, Blandisi, Coleman, etc in this lineup unless there are injuries. Maybe Coleman as a 4th liner.

Well, it certainly is an improved lineup from last year. We will see how TC shapes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad