Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
we are in trouble if kennedy and stemp make this team.

Means either more cronyism or that the rookies suck.

Well Stempniak could legit make the team cause we're still such a ? at RW, but Kennedy...ick. Yeah I don't really want him anywhere near the opening roster. We have enough third-fourth line types in the system we shouldn't need too many fill-ins there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 6m6 minutes ago
Jacques Caron, still special assignment coach for goalies, is here.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 5m5 minutes ago
Caron said he met Ray Shero at the draft. Says he wanted to stay on and help Scott Clemmensen as he learns trade as a goalie coach.

Well at least one of the links to the past is sticking around for a while :)

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Spot the fail
o7WJOjz.jpg

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would be cautious on Boedker. I understand he's been with the Coyotes for his entire career, but his career high is 51 points. I'm not saying that's his ceiling, but that is his body of work to date.

Coyotes fans were expecting point production in the 60s last year, if not for his injury.

In a (conservative) vacuum, he'd be another Henrique. But I'd give him the benefit of more offensive upside. I'd absolutely throw a $6M AAV contract at that.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Well Stempniak could legit make the team cause we're still such a ? at RW, but Kennedy...ick. Yeah I don't really want him anywhere near the opening roster. We have enough third-fourth line types in the system we shouldn't need too many fill-ins there.

I wanted Kennedy to be a Devil back in his Pittsburgh days, but, yeah, he's garbage at this point.

Shame, he used to be a very useful middle-6 player. I wonder what the hell happened.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Coyotes fans were expecting point production in the 60s last year, if not for his injury.

In a (conservative) vacuum, he'd be another Henrique. But I'd give him the benefit of more offensive upside. I'd absolutely throw a $6M AAV contract at that.

He was on pace to score 51 points again.

I would just be cautious.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Stempniak is making the team. I don't think any of these potential young guys can honestly come in and give you 25-30 points in a 3rd line role right now.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Here's a question... A few weeks ago, I was okay with the fact that we were "rebuilding".... but Is this even a rebuild anymore?

Tlusty, Moore, Schlemko, Palmieri, Zacha, Matteau and possibly Stempniak and Kennedy are, in my opinion, upgrades over Zubrus, Ryder, Havlat, Harrold, Salvador, and Fraser

This team is better than last year.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Here's a question... A few weeks ago, I was okay with the fact that we were "rebuilding".... but Is this even a rebuild anymore?

Tlusty, Moore, Schlemko, Palmieri, Zacha, Matteau and possibly Stempniak and Kennedy are, in my opinion, upgrades over Zubrus, Ryder, Havlat, Harrold, Salvador, and Fraser

It's a transition year really. Sure we may be better, but we're not gunning for the playoffs and the moves Shero has made does not suggest so either. The biggest difference in the groups you mentioned is that 3 or 4 of the guys in the first group will be a part (for some, a big part) of this team's future moving forward. Whereas all of those guys in the latter group were never going to be in the future plans. This year is going to be about solidifying a foundation for the franchise moving forward. If winning comes from that, then I'll be jazzed up, but it's not the "main" goal.

NHL Fanatik*

Its a model of rebuilding that has been used for years, contrary to the other type of rebuild where one tears it down completely

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think this team will be a thousand times more fun to watch this coming season. I am in no way expecting playoffs... but hopefully long gone are the days of the Devils being down 1-0 in the third period with six shots on goal to show for it.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

I think so, Shero just cut the dead weight, but there's definitely a long term plan. Even Tlusty is a guy that could be a part of it if he performs well this year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think so, Shero just cut the dead weight, but there's definitely a long term plan. Even Tlusty is a guy that could be a part of it if he performs well this year.

Exactly.

It's emphasis on the long-term without just completely forgetting the short term.

You aren't going to see Shero go out and sacrifice the future, but he will try to make this team competitive any other way he can.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
It's been a few years since I've been more excited about the start of a season. There's a difference watching a bad team that's old vs. watching a bad team that's young. I'm not saying they'll be bad but when there's hope you can tolerate the losses. When you expect the losses because of a wretched roster, they become unwatchable.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's been a few years since I've been more excited about the start of a season. There's a difference watching a bad team that's old vs. watching a bad team that's young. I'm not saying they'll be bad but when there's hope you can tolerate the losses. When you expect the losses because of a wretched roster, they become unwatchable.

I can tolerate losses as long as the team is building towards something and younger guys are developing. That's what's making this upcoming season so exciting. Also, we've had some rough offseasons between losing Parise, Kovalchuk, Brodeur, icing an older roster, etc.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Everyone says that now, but when we inevitably do lose some people will be lamenting the fact we have no hope cause we're losing with the kids.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Everyone says that now, but when we inevitably do lose some people will be lamenting the fact we have no hope cause we're losing with the kids.

If you start losing with kids, you get a new kid at the end of the year who is quite good.

NJ could finish with more points and in a lower place than they did last season. They could be a better team and finish lower - Schneider and some good shooting luck bailed out a horrible team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad