Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA Ohtanis Makes History

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is there a scheduled press conference when they’ll announce the changes to the front office and coaches?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I can’t wait to hear Atkins’ impending nauseating pie-in-the-sky speech about the state of this franchise. He’ll find excuses and gloss over the historically bad state of this franchise. A pathetic September punctuated with a 1-5 homestand including being swept by a 100 loss team will be minimized and attributed to the youth learning what it takes to be regulars in the majors. He’ll talk about the importance of stability and change f*** all again in his coaching staff again. He’ll talk about the bad luck of losing Romano or the injuries to Bo as a reason they finished as the 24th best team in the majors. And the best part, there are posters in here lauding the fact they made the playoffs so he’s doing a good job! Laughable if it wasn’t so pathetic. Loyal, if not blind, fanbase, deserves Shapiro and Atkins.
Is there even a chance Atkins will be kept? I guess with Shapiro in last year, he might be lazy enough to keep him rather than hiring, but I would think they’d move on from all of them.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Is there a scheduled press conference when they’ll announce the changes to the front office and coaches?
Why would they change anything? They’re top 10 in attendance despite putting a dreadful product on the field. Final series against a sad sack Marlin team had over 99 000 fans attend. Where’s the impetus to change anything?

Is there even a chance Atkins will be kept? I guess with Shapiro in last year, he might be lazy enough to keep him rather than hiring, but I would think they’d move on from all of them.
Chances are greater that he’ll be kept than dismissed. Tragic really.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why would they change anything? They’re top 10 in attendance despite putting a dreadful product on the field. Final series against a sad sack Marlin team had over 99 000 fans attend. Where’s the impetus to change anything?
From Shapiro’s view, there really isn’t. Maybe ownership is saying the same thing.

Going into the season i don’t think they expected to make the playoffs, so finishing last or third doesn’t matter. Let Shapiro’s contract expire and start over next year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Chances are greater that he’ll be kept than dismissed. Tragic really.
It makes sense to keep them, but the franchise has to either sign or trade Flop and Bo this winter and do they really want those two doing that job.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I can’t wait to hear Atkins’ impending nauseating pie-in-the-sky speech about the state of this franchise. He’ll find excuses and gloss over the historically bad state of this franchise. A pathetic September punctuated with a 1-5 homestand including being swept by a 100 loss team will be minimized and attributed to the youth learning what it takes to be regulars in the majors. He’ll talk about the importance of stability and change f*** all in his coaching staff again. He’ll talk about the bad luck of losing Romano or the injuries to Bo as a reason they finished as the 24th best team in the majors. And the best part, there are posters in here lauding the fact they made the playoffs the last 3 seasons so he’s doing a good job! Laughable if it wasn’t so pathetic. Some of this loyal, if not blind fanbase, deserves Shapiro and Atkins.
A lot went wrong.

2B was a huge flop. I didn’t expect a lot from Biggio/Schneider but I expected one of them to at least be .730 OPS ish and 2 + WAR. The fact they both flamed out as bad as they did hurt the team.

The Springer deal went from looking ok or fair value to being bad.

Bo had the worst year of his career.

Kirk didn’t rebound until the 2nd half.

Etc.

The good thing is we have some major pieces for a quick rebound if they have the right leadership.

A lot went wrong. We might get a rebound from a few of these guys next year so adding some star talent is paramount to add on to what we have. The good thing is a lot of these guys are still young.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Sure, a lot went wrong, but it was inevitable. There weren’t many predicting the Jays to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season. The reason mainly was the poor job done by Atkins in the off-season. It was admirable going after Ohtani, but once that didn’t work out, Atkins didn’t have anything he could pivot to. So we ended up with the additions of IKF and Vogelbach.

The team should move on from Atkins. I agree, a couple of shrewd additions, and the return to form of a few key players, and we’ll be back into the wild card conversation. The question is, do we trust Atkins to make those shrewd moves. I think he has had failure written over his entire management career.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Fourteen games under .500…we need a lot of changes to truly contend. That bullpen is a train wreck to watch. Do you want Atkins to make those changes?

I'd be stunned if he's shown the door before Shapiro......if they both go (and bring Schneider+Mattingly with them) then I'd feel somewhat more confident going into the offseason.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I'd be stunned if he's shown the door before Shapiro......if they both go (and bring Schneider+Mattingly with them) then I'd feel somewhat more confident going into the offseason.
What in what you've witnessed in September gives you confidence that this team will turn it around? Couple that with Atkins and Shapiro remaining, as well as virtually the entire coaching staff, and it's depressing. This fanbase deserves so much more. We love the Blue Jays, and baseball. Do we have to be subjected to watching our team incompetently managed into next season as well? Sad.

I am sure we are running it back next year. Same staff from GM on down.
I'm afraid you're right.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What in what you've witnessed in September gives you confidence that this team will turn it around? Couple that with Atkins and Shapiro remaining, as well as virtually the entire coaching staff, and it's depressing. This fanbase deserves so much more. We love the Blue Jays, and baseball. Do we have to be subjected to watching our team incompetently managed into next season as well? Sad.

I'm afraid you're right.

I'm just holding out hope that a NEW management group might take over and, in short order, be able to lock up Vladdy, either do the same with Bo or ship him away to another team.......and land someone like Soto.

Pipe dream, I know.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Absolutely no way same coaching staff returns. That would be insanity. No way all the same hitting coaches are coming back. No way. Shapiro is not that stupid.
Arden Zwelling and BNS said on their At The Letters pod recently that John Schneider and Pete Walker will likely be back with the coaching staff. Other than those 2 none of the other coaches are safe yet. And even for those 2 they didn't confirm it they just heard it was likely.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Absolutely no way same coaching staff returns. That would be insanity. No way all the same hitting coaches are coming back. No way. Shapiro is not that stupid.

There is literally zero fan/media pressure in this market for success or changes so the easiest thing to do is just bring back all your friends and keep the gang together.

Relative to expectations, the 2024 Jays was the worst season I've ever experienced relative to expectations for a pro sports team I follow and the collective 'oh, well' is just astonishing to me.

If this was a Canadian NHL team or a large-market US MLB team there would have been jerseys getting thrown on the ice/field for the past two months, constant booing and 'fire management' chants, players pelted with garbage. Instead the Jays just keep getting lots of happy clapping.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
They come as a package they leave as a package one or the other. Glued at the hips and best friends/

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
There is literally zero fan/media pressure in this market for success or changes so the easiest thing to do is just bring back all your friends and keep the gang together.

Relative to expectations, the 2024 Jays was the worst season I've ever experienced relative to expectations for a pro sports team I follow and the collective 'oh, well' is just astonishing to me.

If this was a Canadian NHL team or a large-market US MLB team there would have been jerseys getting thrown on the ice/field for the past two months, constant booing and 'fire management' chants, players pelted with garbage. Instead the Jays just keep getting lots of happy clapping.

I really don’t think this team came close to the expectations the 2013 Jays had. This has been a gradual come down with tempered beliefs based on prior seasons. The 2013 Jays was a skyrocket boom of hope based on offseason acquisitions to bolster the main roster.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Maybe if Rogers wants to win, they should fire both of these boobs and hire new management. Look what they have done the past few seasons. They completely managed this team straight into the ground. We had such a good team in 2021, could have kept building on it. Look what they have done. It's borderline criminal

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
A lot went wrong indeed, but I was blown away to hear on Blair & Barker post game yesterday, that the Jays had by far the fewest games lost to injury.

I couldn't believe that they were this bad with having the least injuries in all of MLB.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really don’t think this team came close to the expectations the 2013 Jays had. This has been a gradual come down with tempered beliefs based on prior seasons. The 2013 Jays was a skyrocket boom of hope based on offseason acquisitions to bolster the main roster.

2013 was a 73-win team that added some starting pitching. There was hope but honestly getting to .500-ish would have been decent.

This was supposed to be a playoff team. Based on where we were at in 2021/2022 we we supposed to be a WS contender. Instead we’re picking top-5 in the draft.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

This is a great post, I couldn't agree more with everything you've written. The bolded is the especially disappointing part when it comes to the state of this team. How you can justify, accept, condone, and forgive the travesty we've witnessed this season is astonishing.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
2013 was a 73-win team that added some starting pitching. There was hope but honestly getting to .500-ish would have been decent.

This was supposed to be a playoff team. Based on where we were at in 2021/2022 we we supposed to be a WS contender. Instead we’re picking top-5 in the draft.

I mean it wasn’t just some pitching. It was three rotation pieces, one coming off a CYA season, one durable #3, and an often injured but TOR arm. Plus adding an AS SS in Reyes, a healthy Bautista and a full season of Lawrie? Are you forgetting the hype around that team?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Arden Zwelling and BNS said on their At The Letters pod recently that John Schneider and Pete Walker will likely be back with the coaching staff. Other than those 2 none of the other coaches are safe yet. And even for those 2 they didn't confirm it they just heard it was likely.

By "the coaching staff" I'm assuming you mean the two on-field base coaches, right?

I saw Bud moved to 3rd later in the season but figured that wasn't a permanent switch.

I feel like Mattingly and whoever the hitting coach is, though, they've gotta go.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is a great post, I couldn't agree more with everything you've written. The bolded is the especially disappointing part when it comes to the state of this team. How you can justify, accept, condone, and forgive the travesty we've witnessed this season is astonishing.

I think for a majority of fans the Jays are their '2nd team' and there just isn't the intensity of feeling that you get from NHL fans in Canada, or Yankees/Red Sox teams in MLB as an example.

How many Jays fans are 'the Jays are my #1 team in any sport' sort of fans?

I mean it wasn’t just some pitching. It was three rotation pieces, one coming off a CYA season, one durable #3, and an often injured but TOR arm. Plus adding an AS SS in Reyes, a healthy Bautista and a full season of Lawrie? Are you forgetting the hype around that team?

I remember the hype but to me it was more 'hope of turning a corner finally' more than 'expectation of success and contending'. Everyone would have been over-the-moon to sneak into the last wildcard spot and end the playoff drought, which was basically the minimum expectation for the 2024 Jays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad