Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not bashing Shero yet, but he's definitely let some opportunities slide.

1. He could have signed a couple of vets. The Devils right wing depth is atrocious. Someone like Santorelli would have helped.

2. He could have been more aggressive at the draft. The fact that the Devils didn't trade into the first round is a red flag. In the end, it means that the Devils preferred their quantity of picks and prospects vs. the chance at higher end talent. Barzal, Konecny - there are a number of guys that, if the Devils had been more aggressive, could have upgraded the forward talent pool.

3. He could have been more aggressive in off-season trades. It's unclear how the Hurricanes outbid the Devils on the Versteeg salary dump. The Canes get Versteeg plus upgraded from a 5th round pick to a 3rd. The Devils may not have been able to match the offer for Reilly Smith (though, the Bruins should be in the market for a d-man), but there's another forward who could have upgraded the talent pool.

None of these issues are necessarily the wrong decision. It all depends on what Shero does going forward. Maybe Blackwood and Speers pan out. Maybe Shero is able to pick up a salary dump who's not even on the radar.

But, the idea that there was nothing for Shero to do so far is incorrect, I think. With some imagination and vision, there was plenty Shero could have done.

As someone who would prefer to see a competitive team this year, I think Shero has been too passive so far. But, Shero certainly deserves the chance to let his decisions play out for a couple of years before he's held accountable.

1) what does signing Mike Santorelli and the ~30 points he'd probably get here do for the team? and don't tell me "we could trade him at the deadline!" I am sick of that excuse.

2) thats a ridiculous statement. Shero tried PLENTY to trade back up from what I'm seeing, likely for Barzal. But he couldn't find a deal that fit. you are acting like the guy didn't even try.

3) Kris Versteeg ****ing stinks. what good does having him on our team do? theres a reason he is on a new team every 6 months.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
lol adding santorelli and versteeg? Adding more 30+ year olds? They wouldn't even make the playoffs even with those two.

They did try to get another first round pick, look down TGs Twitter around draft day and you'll see it. Reilly smith was acquired by trading jimmy Hayes a guy who had 19 goals, 25 years old, and 6'6".

Well since we aren't trying I guess we'll never know.

The idea that has been 100% lost is that if you can make moves that incrementally make the team better then you make them. You don't sit around going well I didn't have the assets to get Brandon Saad so screw it we'll just stand pat with a bad team. That's like not hitting on a 13 in blackjack when the dealer is showing a 10 because there is still a 10% chance that the dealer will bust.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Well since we aren't trying I guess we'll never know.

The idea that has been 100% lost is that if you can make moves that incrementally make the team better then you make them. You don't sit around going well I didn't have the assets to get Brandon Saad so screw it we'll just stand pat with a bad team. That's like not hitting on a 13 in blackjack when the dealer is showing a 10 because there is still a 10% chance that the dealer will bust.

to be a good team, you have to draft well. thats pretty much the long and short of it.

signing Kris Versteeg or Mike Santorelli does absolutely zero for this team. I can't even believe people are even suggesting this.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I've read that Shero was in on Saad and was actively trying to nab a second 1st at the draft. He also acquired Palmieri, likely as a 'plan B' for the Saad inquiry. I'm not sure how much more aggressive a man can get.

The Santorelli and Versteeg talk is absolute nonsense. Both of them are the exact definition of veteran plugs, and both of them represent the exact opposite of what Shero is trying to do here.

Don't confuse his patience with him sitting on his hands.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Versteeg and Santorelli would have just been this year's Ryder and Havlat. How many times do we have to go down that road before we realize it doesn't work, because that's pretty much what we've done for the past decade.

The teams that are truly good teams in the NHL are those that have drafted well for several seasons in a row. That is what we have to do. Teams are not built through free agency or trades. Especially not when you have as great of a lack of assets as we do.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I've read that Shero was in on Saad and was actively trying to nab a second 1st at the draft. He also acquired Palmieri, likely as a 'plan B' for the Saad inquiry. I'm not sure how much more aggressive a man can get.

The Santorelli and Versteeg talk is absolute nonsense. Both of them are the exact definition of veteran plugs, and both of them represent the exact opposite of what Shero is trying to do here.

Don't confuse his patience with him sitting on his hands.

It's not those two players specifically; it's the idea that if you can't hit a home run then let's just do nothing. Also, you, I, and Ray Shero all get judged at our jobs by what we achieved, not what we tried to achieve. "I almost closed those two huge sales jobs" doesn't fly in the real world and it shouldn't fly in the hockey world.

That said, we are going to be having this same discussion a year from now since we've all come to the conclusion that it's going to be another non-playoff season.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Would Shero move out Merrill before Gelinas in any trade? Or is the consensus is that Gelinas is the first one out?

Would really like to have Severson, Larsson, and Santini for the future.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It's not those two players specifically; it's the idea that if you can't hit a home run then let's just do nothing. Also, you, I, and Ray Shero all get judged at our jobs by what we achieved, not what we tried to achieve. "I almost closed those two huge sales jobs" doesn't fly in the real world and it shouldn't fly in the hockey world.

That said, we are going to be having this same discussion a year from now since we've all come to the conclusion that it's going to be another non-playoff season.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Give him time it's his ticket to stay or get the boot.

Derwood

Sponsor
Jun 12, 2004
Saugerties
I have Hockeystreams. It is great. All the NHL and AHL games alone is worth the price. But then you also get games from the Canadian junior leagues and some international stuff. No KHL though. We got rid of the cable two years ago after the season ended and have been using a Roku to get Netflix, Amazon Prime and H S. The picture quality is the same as the TV broadcasts. You also get the teams feeds.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I don't think your real world blanket statement applies as much as you think it does, but okay.

I'll counter it with the fact that Shero has been on the job for, what, three months? Three and a half? He's done just fine with what few resources he has.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I have Hockeystreams. It is great. All the NHL and AHL games alone is worth the price. But then you also get games from the Canadian junior leagues and some international stuff. No KHL though. We got rid of the cable two years ago after the season ended and have been using a Roku to get Netflix, Amazon Prime and H S. The picture quality is the same as the TV broadcasts. You also get the teams feeds.

Just curious what you streamers watch the games on. Do you have a large screen monitors hooked up to your computers?

GhostofKenKlee

This here, he deserves at least until opening night to show what he can do in terms of opening night rosters. Also, Hynes was on XM sprouting how it won't be a classic rebuild and they will remain competitive and put out a good product while the process is happening. So that all remains to be seen. It's a shame in a weak eastern conference the Devils have been fairly quiet so far.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I don't think your real world blanket statement applies as much as you think it does, but okay.

I'll counter it with the fact that Shero has been on the job for, what, three months? Three and a half? He's done just fine with what few resources he has.

I'm just very nervous about what I feel is a kind of "it's ok to be lousy this year" approach. Sure, we aren't winning the Cup this year no matter what. I'm not a fool. Nor am I advocating trading all of our draft picks for a quick fix. I just don't willingly accept mediocrity that's all. Maybe it's just me.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This here, he deserves at least until opening night to show what he can do in terms of opening night rosters. Also, Hynes was on XM sprouting how it won't be a classic rebuild and they will remain competitive and put out a good product while the process is happening. So that all remains to be seen. It's a shame in a weak eastern conference the Devils have been fairly quiet so far.

You are speaking from a bird's eye view.

In regards to 'final' rosters, we still have a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad