Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People act like trading Cory is going to be a salve for our offensive woes. I don't see that by any stretch of the imagination. At most you'll get two or three unproven prospects or maybe one good proven young forward and another prospect. Most of the teams that need a goalie aren't flipping us an entire offense for it.

And trading Cory won't help our young D either when more mistakes go in the net and they're -25 instead of -15

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Any reason why he shouldn't be worshipped?

We somehow haven't crossed paths on this one, and it's going no further than this I promise you, but suffice to say that A) I don't judge goalies by statistics, and B) There are so many good ones IMO that the old philosophy of building from the net out is outdated. Those are my opinions. I don't care if the majority on here think otherwise.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
We somehow haven't crossed paths on this one, and it's going no further than this I promise you, but suffice to say that A) I don't judge goalies by statistics, and B) There are so many good ones IMO that the old philosophy of building from the net out is outdated. Those are my opinions. I don't care if the majority on here think otherwise.

You're right; there are plenty of 'good' ones. But we've got a great one. I digress.

This horse has been beaten to death so many times. Agree to disagree.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

Weird because Cory is one of the best in the league. Seems like something a developing team needs. Someone to bail out the kids now and then while giving them reason to believe they can win. Seems important.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

let me guess, you thought Marty was better than Cory in 13-14 because he "knew how to win games"

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Weird because Cory is one of the best in the league. Seems like something a developing team needs. Someone to bail out the kids now and then while giving them reason to believe they can win. Seems important.

I don't know that for sure. All he has is a bunch of pretty SVPCT/GAA stats to this point in his career. No playoff success, no awards, not even an appearance in the Olympics or anything. But regardless, we agree to disagree as SpeakingoftheDevils has already stated. To each their own on how to evaluate player performance.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I've watched the '95 Heaven Cup tribute VCR hundreds of times, literally, and one of the quotes that always sticks out to me is when MacLean discussed how the team almost took Marty for granted. "Always back there to make the save"... something like that.

Having a top-5 goalie on a young team is so valuable... not only for long-term stability, but for short-term peace of mind as the kids come into their own.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
You do not trade Cory unless it's a ridiculous offer that you just can't refuse and that's unrealistic.

I would be ok with trading Schneider if the return was a 1st liner under the age of 28x with the immediate ability to put up 60+ pts. And there aren't that many of those guys.

Last edited:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I've watched the '95 Heaven Cup tribute VCR hundreds of times, literally, and one of the quotes that always sticks out to me is when MacLean discussed how the team almost took Marty for granted. "Always back there to make the save"... something like that.

Having a top-5 goalie on a young team is so valuable... not only for long-term stability, but for short-term peace of mind as the kids come into their own.

Exactly. Great teams may not need a great goaltender, but you know what does? **** ones. And the Devils, let's face it, are pretty much ****. That's ok though, because Schneider makes us competitive and if someone wants to blow Shero away with a move that makes the 'position players' an echelon better, then ok. But til then I'll keep our stud and not do the Edmonton Oilers/Toronto Maple Leafs thing.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
I didn't meant to start a war and I worship Cory as much as you guys. I was just wondering what were the cons and pros of trading Schneids now.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't meant to start a war and I worship Cory as much as you guys. I was just wondering what were the cons and pros of trading Schneids now.

The pros are a bunch of hypotheticals ("IF we can get one-for-one value".. "IF we get an offer that blows us away"...), whereas the cons are very real.

My opinion obviously, but trading Cory sets the team back a handful of years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't know that for sure. All he has is a bunch of pretty SVPCT/GAA stats to this point in his career. No playoff success, no awards, not even an appearance in the Olympics or anything. But regardless, we agree to disagree as SpeakingoftheDevils has already stated. To each their own on how to evaluate player performance.

then you aren't watching the games.

lol @ bringing up the Olympics. I guess Andy Greene sucks too since he hasn't won any awards or played in the Olympics.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Do you realize he has had one season as a full starter in this league? He was stuck behind an all-star goalie in Luongo for most of his career and his play was practically forcing Luongo out of town.

In his first season as a starter, he put up incredible numbers on a team with no offensive or transition game and, for a good portion of the season, four young defenseman in every game.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
then you aren't watching the games.

lol @ bringing up the Olympics. I guess Andy Greene sucks too since he hasn't won any awards or played in the Olympics.

That's fine. Get your potshot in and take the low road as usual.

Regarding anyone who would want to trade Cory; regardless of my opinion goalies simply have limited worth on the open market. He'd bring back probably a 1st round pick and a useful but not star player. If you think that's worth it then fine, but he isn't netting you whatever you think an equivalent forward would be.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

The pros:

1) Of anyone on our team, Cory probably has the highest trade value, so he would most likely net the best return for the Devils.

2) Trading him would be a kind of tank move to better the odds of picking first overall even with the new lottery system.

The cons:

1) He's an elite goaltender who has shown that he can steal us games. A goalie like that can make it easier to return to the playoffs and can help you have success there.

2) He signed a long-term deal with us pretty recently. We don't want to look like we have commitment issues.

3) Cory is the most important part of our team, and mostly kept us in games even if we ended up losing. As bad as we were last year, we will be even worse without him. Do we want our young players growing up in an environment where they basically win zero games and can't be competitive in most games (even if the final tally is a loss)? That's gotta hurt the psyche.

4) Related to point three, but our defense is young and will make some mistakes. I think having a goalie back there who can cover for a lot of those will help keep their confidence up.

Personally? I wouldn't trade Cory, because I don't think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Trade Cory, today? Pros and cons vs 1st line Star or a #1 pick plus prospect?

I'll bet the bank the Devils will not trade Cory this season. Shero doesn't want to lose his job. Harris doesn't want to lose the fan base. BTW they won't do it next season either.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The pros are a bunch of hypotheticals ("IF we can get one-for-one value".. "IF we get an offer that blows us away"...), whereas the cons are very real.

My opinion obviously, but trading Cory sets the team back a handful of years.

Can't trade your best player and throw the young defense under the bus. Just my opinion. Come back to me in a couple of years, my opinion could change.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you.

Instead of Ruutu? If we brought in Paille then how would we just make TR go away?

Could just pawn off Ruutu for cheap, or waive him and see if anyone bites. There are ways of making room if it becomes a glaring necessity.

I've just been a Paille fan for years and I think he'd fit the new 'fast, attacking' mantra to a T. Dude has wheels, excellent PK ability, and a Cup ring.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I see Ruutu (and potentially Schlemko) being a deadline dump for pick(s).

In terms of trading Cory, I understand the offer would have to be massive, but don't people realize we are building our team from the net out?

Would have also liked to have seen an invite to Paille for our camp, but who knows we may have sent him one and he declined. Also, apparently Jiri Tlusty has rejected 5 (I think) PTO offers and will probably sign in the KHL unless he gets a good contract deal from an NHL team.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I throw up in my mouth every time the idea of trading Cory Schneider is brought up on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad