Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofKenKlee

They are paying John Moore alot of money and years for him to be the number 7.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They are paying John Moore alot of money and years for him to be the number 7.

Moore was a low-risk high-reward guy.

He fits in with the age group and if he turns it around, you have a good defender at a nice price for good trade value or just to keep around. He's the key definition of a guy with all the tools but no tool box at this point. You just hope you can set him straight and you have a great player.

To respond to the other post, I would rank our D, the guys with the best chance at playing in the NHL next year, like this:

1. Greene
2. Larsson
3. Severson
4. Merrill
5. Gelinas
6. Schlemko
7. Moore
8. Hrabarenka
9. Helgeson
10. Mozik

In terms of pairing:

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Severson
Schlemko - Moore/Gelinas
Moore/Gelinas

Everything I heard about Schlemko seems like he is the perfect type of person to keep Moore and Gelinas honest. Essentially to be the anchor to those two guys. Maybe the Devils will reunite Gelinas-Larsson at some point. Have Larsson anchor Gelinas and Greene anchor Severson:

Greene - Severson
Gelinas - Larsson

The bottom pairing being some combination of Moore, Schlemko, and Merrill.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Actual news.

Feel terrible for Clowe but it's without a doubt the correct call. His life is more important then playing hockey.

I don't necessarily feel terrible for him as long as the concussions he has had have no long lasting effects. He's still getting paid over $4M a year and doesn't have to subject himself to the rigors of pro hockey.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
i posted something about this a while back……the turnover is big…. but i think i mentioned it being 7

I misread that. He said there are only 6 left who played in the Final. Larsson would be the 7th player, but he only played 5 playoff games, none in the Final.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It'll be 8 once we give a PTO to and then re sign Tallinder.

Don't forget our record with him in the SCF was 2-1 in games he played.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
From a team/cap perspective, the Rolston and Volchenkov contracts were way worse than Clowe

I absolutely agree.

Some of those 05 post lockout contracts were worse too.

Malakhov, McGillis, Mogilny wasn't as bad because we LTIR'd his last season too.

We got rid of Malakhov's cap hit to the Sharks, losing that first rounder hurt though.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Trying to get open practice tickets through ticketmaster is fun. Go all the way through and nothing happens when you press confirm purchase. It just refreshes every time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Moore is the #7 on Opening Day then it's a bad signing. You're basically paying him twice as much as #7's, granted they can afford to waste a few hundred K this year at least but still. If we were up against the cap there's no way you spend $5 million on a 7th dman

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Sorry for sounding ignorant, but I've forgotten how long and how much Moore was signed for. I think I remember it was a three year deal, but nothing else. :help:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
If Moore is the #7 on Opening Day then it's a bad signing. You're basically paying him twice as much as #7's, granted they can afford to waste a few hundred K this year at least but still. If we were up against the cap there's no way you spend $5 million on a 7th dman

I believe Moore will be in the starting lineup.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
1.67 m per year, three years.

Thanks for the remainder. I don't think that salary would be too bad for a 7th defenseman (and maybe he can do better than that for us). I read that comment about not paying a 7th defenseman 4 million, and I got kind of scared thinking he was getting paid 4 million a year, and I'd somehow deleted that from my memory bank. What a relief.

GhostofKenKlee

This here.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Moore will not be a 7th defenseman. I think you've got a better chance of Merrill or Gelinas being traded than you do of Moore sitting for extended periods as our 7th defenseman. Nobody signs a guy for three years to be the 7th defenseman. Except Lou and Co.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
on a team thats $20 million under the cap, who gives a ****?

Regardless of who the player is, looking of the logic of what you said - whether you are $20 million under or $20K under, when does that EVER make it ok to go out and make careless signings where the players role and output could backfire?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Regardless of who the player is, looking of the logic of what you said - whether you are $20 million under or $20K under, when does that EVER make it ok to go out and make careless signings where the players role and output could backfire?

I'm not sure how you get that from my post?

if Moore is the 7th D, it probably means all our young had pretty good games. which would not be a bad thing last time I checked.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

If the 1.6 million is not going to affect us, then there is no risk involved.

You sign a 24 year old guy who already played 230 NHL games. He was a former first round pick for a reason. He's a defender that Rangers and Coyotes fans have said that he has all the tools but hasn't put them together. If he puts them together, we could have a elite skating top four defender who plays with an edge. If not, then we just have a more-than serviceable 7th defender for the next few years.

If you can't see the upside of signing a guy like Moore, I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad