Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
If the 1.6 million is not going to affect us, then there is no risk involved.

You sign a 24 year old guy who already played 230 NHL games. He was a former first round pick for a reason. He's a defender that Rangers and Coyotes fans have said that he has all the tools but hasn't put them together. If he puts them together, we could have a elite skating top four defender who plays with an edge. If not, then we just have a more-than serviceable 7th defender for the next few years.

If you can't see the upside of signing a guy like Moore, I don't know what to tell you.

I am not here to defend any position but what Wingman said was when is it right to over spend or under spend because there is a lot of money available in the cap for players. He's not wrong IMO.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Opening line up means jack ****. Players play themselves into and out of the lineup all the time. Shero didn't give Moore a three year deal to sit on the bench forever. If he doesn't make the team outright he'll be in there sooner rather than later.

I have a feeling Gelinas's spot isn't as secure as many around here think it is. Severson basically did his job as well as he did the beginning of last yuear and larsson will likely get more PP opportunities as well. Really depends on whether Hynes like 4 F on the PP or not.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Moore was a low-risk high-reward guy.

He fits in with the age group and if he turns it around, you have a good defender at a nice price for good trade value or just to keep around. He's the key definition of a guy with all the tools but no tool box at this point. You just hope you can set him straight and you have a great player.

To respond to the other post, I would rank our D, the guys with the best chance at playing in the NHL next year, like this:

1. Greene
2. Larsson
3. Severson
4. Merrill
5. Gelinas
6. Schlemko
7. Moore
8. Hrabarenka
9. Helgeson
10. Mozik

In terms of pairing:

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Severson
Schlemko - Moore/Gelinas
Moore/Gelinas

Everything I heard about Schlemko seems like he is the perfect type of person to keep Moore and Gelinas honest. Essentially to be the anchor to those two guys. Maybe the Devils will reunite Gelinas-Larsson at some point. Have Larsson anchor Gelinas and Greene anchor Severson:

Greene - Severson
Gelinas - Larsson

The bottom pairing being some combination of Moore, Schlemko, and Merrill.

This will all get settled in due time, but why would you assume the early September, two-way contract has better odds to be in the starting lineup than the July 1st, three year, one-way contract?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This will all get settled in due time, but why would you assume the early September, two-way contract has better odds to be in the starting lineup than the July 1st, three year, one-way contract?

Schlemko was a one-way contract.

Honestly, everything I heard from Schlemko seems to be what we need to compliment Moore or Gelinas. Schlemko just seems like the simple play reliable defender. In Moore, you have a guy that Rangers and Coyotes fans have both said makes dumb plays in the defensive zone. He seems like a guy that hasn't figured out himself defensively yet.

We will see how it unfolds, but I think a Schlemko-Gelinas/Moore pairing makes more sense than Moore-Gelinas.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
At some point this season, some of these bottom pairing defenders will prove themselves more valuable than the rest, and they will play. Until then, I'm not going to be too concerned with who plays in what game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why would he turn down a contract from the Devils when the Tweet says he's been turning down PTO's cause he only wants an NHL contract or he'll go to the KHL? If we offered him a contract he would have taken it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Why would he turn down a contract from the Devils when the Tweet says he's been turning down PTO's cause he only wants an NHL contract or he'll go to the KHL? If we offered him a contract he would have taken it.

I think there's a good chance he wouldn't want to play for the Devils.

This is purely me assuming, but I think the Devils would've offered him a one or two year deal and he might pass because he wants to be on a better team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tlusty's not good enough to pick his team. It's September and he's still not signed, the Blackhawks aren't going to knock on his door tomorrow. He doesn't want to be on the Devils but he does want to be in a podunk league playing in anonymity? That's a bit self-loathing of a mindset to assume we're that undesirable that guys would rather play in the KHL (well okay one notable exception aside...but HE went there for money. If Tlusty just wanted the KHL money he'd go there right off).

NHL Fanatik*

Hopefully he comes here, if not only for the assets he'd bring back come trade deadline

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
Would cost you Tarasenko at the minimum.

Trading Schneider sets NJ back. You'd have to make it very much worth our while.

Ahah. I'm not a Blues as my profile pic can suggest. I'm a Devils fan by the way.

I just think that our "rebuild" is going great but I don't see NJ being a contender during Schneids "peak/prime years.

So why not try to get something for him as his value could decrease with time ?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ahah. I'm not a Blues as my profile pic can suggest. I'm a Devils fan by the way.

I just think that our "rebuild" is going great but I don't see NJ being a contender during Schneids "peak/prime years.

Last year was Schneider's first season as a full-time NHL starter. He has plenty of miles left.

I just don't understand this 'peak years' language that a lot of people throw around here. Cory's gonna be a stud for the entirety of his new extension, and then some.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

Forget it dude, the Cory worshippers on here will just beat you into submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad