Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Rico is a gem.

It's pretty reassuring to know there's at least one young talented forward who chose to stay here when the walls were falling down.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
…and how many declared pelley the next madden

but we all know santini is the next stevens, right?

Pelley was so AWFUL. He was one player that thankfully DeBoer did push out and it worked out for the better. That guy makes Gionta look really good. He never even got another call up with us once he was brought back for the AHL team. I always knew he was pure ****. He was one of the worst non goon forwards (full time) that we had in the full time lineup on a regular basis. Not counting guys like Sestito, as he was just a call up.

I actually thought Bobby Butler was gonna be good for us, I thought Olesz was gonna be good too. I was also STOKED on the Damien Brunner signing, that thread is still archived.:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I actually thought Bobby Butler was gonna be good for us, I thought Olesz was gonna be good too. I was also STOKED on the Damien Brunner signing, that thread is still archived.:laugh:

lol I was one of the few that was right about Brunner. My contention was if Detroit (who knows talent as well as everyone) let him walk and nobody signed him at all during the summer, how good could he really be? But everyone's so starved for offense and flashy play they saw and wished things that weren't there. Then again we actually found a little something in Detroit's trash this year with Tootoo so it's not always a hard and fast rule. But Tootoo's only a third-fourth liner after all, they still don't let skilled players walk.

People wanted to give Brunner a 3-4 year deal in the offseason too haha...two was about the max I was willing to go and he didn't even last two :P

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I thought Zharkov was gonna be a great bottom six forward for us.

I still think he could be. He was a good player that got screwed by not burying the chances he created himself. His linemates couldn't capitalize on any of his setups either. You look at all the chances a guy like Josefson gets to stick in the lineup and you have to wonder why Zharkov was given up on.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I still think he could be. He was a good player that got screwed by not burying the chances he created himself. His linemates couldn't capitalize on any of his setups either. You look at all the chances a guy like Josefson gets to stick in the lineup and you have to wonder why Zharkov was given up on.

His KHL performances haven't exactly been stellar.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pelley was so AWFUL. He was one player that thankfully DeBoer did push out and it worked out for the better. That guy makes Gionta look really good. He never even got another call up with us once he was brought back for the AHL team. I always knew he was pure ****. He was one of the worst non goon forwards (full time) that we had in the full time lineup on a regular basis. Not counting guys like Sestito, as he was just a call up.

I always hated that "Next John Madden" label that was put on Pelley.

It was obvious early on that he would never live up to those lofty expectations.

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Not sure if it's been posted, but today marks the 4 year anniversary of the plane crash that took Vasyunov and Rachuneck. RIP.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
dunno. but its a new account. Gionta's isnt verified either, but the official Devils twitter follows it, and Gionta follows the new Henrique one *shrug*

Looks like the NJD follow him now. That's enough verification for me. Rico's a funny guy :laugh:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Predictions for what line, roles and points for JJ this season?

I'm not that high on JJ and don't think his utilization with Pete is the reason why he's not a top 9 caliber right now.

I have him playing on the third line this season and the PK. I see him scoring roughly around 20 - 25 points. About 5-10 goals, 10-15 assists.

Also he'll be in our shootout lineup, which I find very valuable in itself.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
faceoffs

…continuing from the "what excites you about this season thread"

---------

the team has only one good faceoff player in zajac at 53.4% but he's usually in the upper percent of the league, he's been solid for years and one of his positive traits …rico is 52% last season and still young so who knows if he can improve

jajo is doing ok and also young (586, 49.3)

it falls off a cliff after that.

elias took 673 last season and hit on 39.1% …thats 3rd worst in the league for guys that take 'regular' draws ….only granlund (524, 36.8) and hayes (681, 36.3) were worse

camm (282 42.2) and gio (394, 40.4) are ****ing jokes on the dot as well

and who is coming in this season to help? kalinin? i cant find his stats anywhere….. is there another steckel :biglaugh: out there?

the team was 4th worst in the league in FO% ….right now there is no light on the horizon.

……on a related note the team was dead last in the number of faceoffs taken which might be a good thing considering their skill at it…..

one thing they need to do with the play moving is create more shots on net which (hopefully) will cause more goals for ……the team is average in shooting % (8.8) but terrible in quantity.

im not taking in PP and PK into consideration with this as even more stats might melt my brain right now.

by the way…..holik's '09 with 506 taken and 59.3% looks awesome for 10 min of ice time/game

Last edited:

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

---------

the team has only one good faceoff player in zajac at 53.4% but he's usually in the upper percent of the league, he's been solid for years and one of his positive traits …rico is 52% last season and still young so who knows if he can improve

elias took 673 last season and hit on 39.1% …thats 3rd worst in the league for guys that take 'regular' draws ….only granlund (524, 36.8) and hayes (681, 36.3) were worse

and who is coming in this season to help? kalinin? i cant find his stats anywhere….. is there another steckel :biglaugh: out there?

the team was 4th worst in the league in FO% ….right now there is no light on the horizon.

……on a related note the team was dead last in the number of faceoffs taken which might be a good thing considering their skill at it…..

one thing they need to do with the play moving is create more shots on net which (hopefully) will cause more goals for ……the team is average in shooting % (8.8) but terrible in quantity.

im not taking in PP and PK into consideration with this as even more stats might melt my brain right now.

by the way…..holik's '09 with 506 taken and 59.3% looks awesome for 10 min of ice time/game

Jim O'Brien will be our 4th line center by the end of the season. In 491 career face-offs at the NHL level, he has won 229 of them for a 46.6% percentage. He also has career numbers of 25 takeaways to only 16 giveaways with a Corsi % of 51.2%. He is still fairly young at 26 and is listed at 6'2'' and 200lbs. In reviewing the roster and the numbers, he is the clear answer to take ahold of that spot.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

---------

From our prospects, I do know Coleman and Pietila was strong at faceoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad