Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Neither affects the team as you get cap relief for LTIR. Retirement helps the owners save money, LTIR helps Clowe as he keeps getting paid his contract salary.

It makes no sense for Clowe to retire. Walking away from millions when you're a professional athlete is never a good idea unless you are about to make more. His contract is insured and he won't count against the cap. He's harming no one by taking the Pronger route.

Actually according to TG it seems as if Clowe gets his whole salary either way, cause he was injured while playing

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...ll-wait-and-see-before-giving-out-c-1.1404124

Clowe has three more seasons at $4.85 million per season remaining on the five-year, $24.25 million contract he signed with the Devils as an unrestricted free agent on July 5, 2013. Regardless of whether he plays again, he will receive the full salary remaining on his contract because he was injured while playing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It'd be close but I think they'd still be barely above the floor even if Clowe's salary dissapeared, with a full 23-man roster (take whatever's on here, subtract Clowe and add five more non-roster players to get to 23 - say Zacha, Boucher, Kalinin, O'Brien and Hraberenka)

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-jersey-devils/cap/

Remember the Larsson extension takes effect immediately, and the Zubrus buyout keeps his cap number on the books.

Last edited:

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It'd be close but I think they'd still be barely above the floor even if Clowe's salary dissapeared, with a full 23-man roster (take whatever's on here, subtract Clowe and add five more non-roster players to get to 23 - say Zacha, Boucher, Kalinin, O'Brien and Hraberenka)

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-jersey-devils/cap/

Remember the Larsson extension takes effect immediately, and the Zubrus buyout keeps his cap number on the books.
So much money and no one to give it too......I have this gut feeling we are going to take on one of Chicago's crappy contracts to get another asset. I hope to god I am wrong.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
So much money and no one to give it too......I have this gut feeling we are going to take on one of Chicago's crappy contracts to get another asset. I hope to god I am wrong.

If we take them on to fill a spot, then I can't complain.

I don't think Shero is going to do anything until he's absolutely sure the kids aren't ready. If we can pick up an extra pick to take Versteeg for a year then why not.

I do think we're going to see Stempniak or Tlusty at camp. Glennie would probably be another guy that would be smart to bring along as a tryout basis.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If we take them on to fill a spot, then I can't complain.

I don't think Shero is going to do anything until he's absolutely sure the kids aren't ready. If we can pick up an extra pick to take Versteeg for a year then why not.

I do think we're going to see Stempniak or Tlusty at camp. Glennie would probably be another guy that would be smart to bring along as a tryout basis.

Ya, I have been pimping Glennie all summer long, would be a good fit for a few different reasons. I just have this gut feeling that there is another move coming along here in the next 2 weeks.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rod Pelley is good at faceoffs if I recall correctly, let's bring him up!:sarcasm:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What's the deal with Tlusty? He isn't good enough to have gotten a one year deal from somewhere over this offseason? Or does he just want more money than anyone wants to give him? Maybe a multi year deal? And they only wanna give him one or two years and he wants 3 or 4?

It's kinda like that year Brad Boyes was last a UFA. All he could get were two PTO's. One from the Panthers, one from the Islanders where he had been playing the years before. Despite having a good season before that and pretty good for the past few before that, or at least for the most part.

Then the Panthers re sign him the next year to a two year deal, then he's bought out one year into it. All this despite two season's of producing at roughly half a point per game and only in his early 30s. I think that dude had to be a locker room issue or possibly had a health problem that was about to deteriorate. So many issues with him getting deals and then getting bought out while still being a productive player.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
What's the deal with Tlusty? He isn't good enough to have gotten a one year deal from somewhere over this offseason? Or does he just want more money than anyone wants to give him? Maybe a multi year deal? And they only wanna give him one or two years and he wants 3 or 4?

It's kinda like that year Brad Boyes was last a UFA. All he could get were two PTO's. One from the Panthers, one from the Islanders where he had been playing the years before. Despite having a good season before that and pretty good for the past few before that, or at least for the most part.

Then the Panthers re sign him the next year to a two year deal, then he's bought out one year into it. All this despite two season's of producing at roughly half a point per game and only in his early 30s. I think that dude had to be a locker room issue or possibly had a health problem that was about to deteriorate. So many issues with him getting deals and then getting bought out while still being a productive player.

Damien Brunner, Mach II

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/f...n&eligible=on&free=on&stats=scoring&sort=fpct

Happy I found this!

Coleman - 2nd in NCAA
Pietila - 6th in NCAA

Wonder how this translates to the NHL. Unfortunately I can't find stats outside 2014-2015

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can see the stats from the two seasons prior to 2014-15.

Pietila ranked 11th in NCAA in faceoffs in 2013-14 and 60th in 2012-13. Seems to indicate he can hold his own in the faceoff dots.

Coleman put up positive faceoff percentage numbers the previous season as well. I'd expect Coleman to be more of a winger in the NHL though.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Damien Brunner, Mach II

I wouldn't really go that far.

Brunner was very unknown and unproven in this league when we got him. He really only had one half of an NHL season under his belt by that time.

Tlusty has been a regular in the NHL since 2009-2010 and had 75 or so NHL games even before that.

He hasn't been too impressive the last couple years, but there's been worse players that have gotten deals this offseason.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To bring the Hynes/OT/strategy talk over to the team discussion thread, I'm not sure how aggressive we're really going to be. We're still not very fast or skilled up front. The defense getting involved should help, but with half the defense still not having much experience it could be dicey. I'm really wondering how the nebulous "fast, attacking, supportive" mantra is going to play out with the personnel we have.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know I've mentioned this before but I need to again.

Mike Cammalleri makes $250k less a year (at least his cap hit costs $250k less) than David Clarkson and his deal ends one year before Clarkson's current deal. That's pretty hilarious and worth a few laughs.

And maybe if we took his deal from Toronto before Columbus did, maybe he would have also been worth a few laff's if you know what I mean? Kadri and Kessel:sarcasm:

To bring the Hynes/OT/strategy talk over to the team discussion thread, I'm not sure how aggressive we're really going to be. We're still not very fast or skilled up front. The defense getting involved should help, but with half the defense still not having much experience it could be dicey. I'm really wondering how the nebulous "fast, attacking, supportive" mantra is going to play out with the personnel we have.

I'm not sure either. We might be a little faster, though I don't see us as being significantly more skilled yet either.

I'm looking out for a Clowe announcement today too, I think we might hear something on him today. If not today then sometime this week is what was said by TG.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I'm looking out for a Clowe announcement today too, I think we might hear something on him today. If not today then sometime this week is what was said by TG.

If Clowe retires, how many +35s will we have then? Only Patty? Im really liking this clean sweep Shero has going on. Was hoping for fresh thoughts and progress with his signing (Shero), and that's what we've gotten, im happy.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
If Clowe retires, how many +35s will we have then? Only Patty? Im really liking this clean sweep Shero has going on. Was hoping for fresh thoughts and progress with his signing (Shero), and that's what we've gotten, im happy.

yep patty.....next is greene at 32....the rest of the team is younger....

the old movement has been purged

edit: forgot camm is 5 months older than greene

Last edited:

GhostofKenKlee

That was the last question he(Hynes) was asked by XM NHL on the replays this weekend from early this summer.

The host was going to send wine to the first coach who ran with three forwards.

GhostofKenKlee

I don't mind the cleaning out, but I hope what Hynes said is true that a youth movement won't come in the way of the team being competitive ie no Buffalo/Edmonton style moves.

I'm all for getting young, but the team needs guys that score old or young up front.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I don't mind the cleaning out, but I hope what Hynes said is true that a youth movement won't come in the way of the team being competitive ie no Buffalo/Edmonton style moves.

I'm all for getting young, but the team needs guys that score old or young up front.

As long as he (or she in the name of equality and political correctness) put the puck in the net frequently and on a steady basis, i do not care whether its a youngster or a reincarnation of any former dinosaur Devil. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad