Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

It's tough. I really think he is in the Hall of Very Good. I agree with Holik in that the Hall of Fame should be given to the guys that were truly above and beyond the competition or at the very top for a while. Currently, guys like Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Doughty, Chara, etc. s hould be shoe-ins for the Hall of Fame after their time is done.

I think there is a good chance Elias gets into the Hall of Fame in an off-year. It's hard to ignore his longevity to the Devils, how important he was to this team, his point records on the Devils, and his play in the playoffs. He's one of those guys where if he ends up getting in, people understand why, but at the same time, I think people would understand why he wouldn't be. I personally think the Hall of Fame should be for the guys that are a notch above what Elias was for the Devils.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The Hall of Fame committee isn't always as rational as you would think. No one ever would have thought Shanahan would have to wait, while Sundin (who many people considered a guy that would have to wait) got in on the first try. As much as the History of Hockey board would like to think otherwise, the custodians of the game don't think the way they do.

Looking at the voting history, the Hall of Fame seems to place a great deal on non-quantifiables like legacy, leadership, importance to team, longevity, etc. In those areas Elias shines. He's got his 400 goals / 600 assists / 1000 points, he's got his two Cups, he's got his playoff production so it's not like his production is completely without merit. His peak from 99-04 he was certainly one of the top-10 forwards in the game and was the offensive catalyst of a perennial contender. He compares favorably to contemporaries like Alfredsson, Hossa, Lecavalier, Marleau, and others.

Honestly, prior to 2012 it was still pretty gray. But finishing top-10 in points with Zubrus and Sykora as his linemates at age 34 was arguably more impressive than his 96 point season. I would tell all skeptics to look at that season in context.

I made my full case in these posts
Elias vs. Contemporaries
Elias vs Hossa Point Shares

Plus, Doc is on the selection panel :sarcasm: I don't think he gets in first year but he'll get in eventually.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If Elias did what he did - the leading forward on a quasi-dynasty - playing for an Original 6 or Canadian team, a lot of people in the media would be talking about him as a 1st ballot HHOFer. I think he has to wait, but gets in eventually. Either the HHOF is going to have to realize that Elias' generation played their entire careers in a lower scoring NHL and therefore didn't put up the numbers of previous generations, or they are going to start inducting fewer players than in the past.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If Elias did what he did - the leading forward on a quasi-dynasty - playing for an Original 6 or Canadian team, a lot of people in the media would be talking about him as a 1st ballot HHOFer. I think he has to wait, but gets in eventually. Either the HHOF is going to have to realize that Elias' generation played their entire careers in a lower scoring NHL and therefore didn't put up the numbers of previous generations, or they are going to start inducting fewer players than in the past.

See that is the huge thing for me. Having to elect 4 players each year means that I think Elias has the standards that he will get in eventually. After the generational players and the truly elite guys of his era get in over him, then I think he will be the next guy. There isn't many players that are going to be retiring in the next year or two that I would have over Elias, only Jagr and who knows when the hell he retires.

Honestly, just by personal opinion, I don't think he should be in. Hall of Fame should be reserved to the truly elite guys of their era. Not guys that had a few very good season with consistency for the rest. Guys that achieved an elite level of play over many seasons. Elias had a few very good seasons in the early 2000s and was incredibly crucial to those cup teams. However, aside from that, he has been solid yet unspectacular aside from a couple seasons. He does have the edge being on some low scoring Devils teams and his longevity as a player.

I just think there's a difference between Elias and a Hall of Fame player, or maybe I just have to readjust my standards to this era of hockey.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
As good as Elias is and as much as I love him, I don't think you can definitively say that he was an Elite offensive player for much of his career. That makes it tough for me to vote him in.

I think he'll get in, but he is in no way a 1st ballot player.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
As good as Elias is and as much as I love him, I don't think you can definitively say that he was an Elite offensive player for much of his career. That makes it tough for me to vote him in.

Elias fits my interpretation of a Hall of Famer. I think a hall of Famer is just a great player, not necessarily offensively elite. But the player needs to be great in other areas if not offensively elite. Context is also important. Think of the defense first team Elias played on all these years. I can come up with a lot more reasons why Ovechkin shouldn't be in there than I can for Elias. Many current and former players will flat out tell you that Ovechkin just isn't a good hockey player, despite his obvious strengths. Fans can take a lot for granted when it comes to everything besides offense.

The overall impact Elias had when he was out on the ice was hall of fame worthy. I agree maybe not 1st ballot, but he should definitely get in.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Twitter can be fun when used properly like Luongo does and seemingly Henrique is. I'm just still nervous over the first Twitter-beef where some player goes off on some idiot fan or just says something dopey in general that causes a public distraction.

GhostofKenKlee

Twitter can be fun when used properly like Luongo does and seemingly Henrique is. I'm just still nervous over the first Twitter-beef where some player goes off on some idiot fan or just says something dopey in general that causes a public distraction.

Or the ole "My twitter was hijacked".

GhostofKenKlee

HAHA, the Devils signed PL3 the Hyphenator.

Love this signing, Ray...

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
I just met Henrique in Hoboken at the Devils vending machine event. Nice guy, got a nice picture wth him. Someone won a Stephan gionta signed puck and when he found out he said, "a signed puck by gio? Throw it back in!"

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I just met Henrique in Hoboken at the Devils vending machine event. Nice guy, got a nice picture wth him. Someone won a Stephan gionta signed puck and when he found out he said, "a signed puck by gio? Throw it back in!"

I follow the Devils on snapchat, and Rico is all over their story today at that event. Looks like he's been hanging around all day.

My new favorite, it's official.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006

You should have more to your career than being an elite offensive player to be in the Hall. I hate it that Dino Ciccarelli got in ahead of more deserving players because he potted 600 goals.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
With the Savard extension, CLB looks like they might be having some cap issues coming up with the money they've taken on and the impending RFA raises they're going to have to give out. We've talked a bit about the Devils-Jackets connection and the idea of targeting one of their younger prospect forwards given their depth. Now, with Boone Jenner coming up on RFA after this season I'm wondering if he's someone we could target. They have the depth the replace him and he could be a great add to our forward group. Any interest? Thoughts on whether he might be available and what it could cost?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

There are definitely good and bad sides to increased social media usage by players, but hopefully the organization approaches it as a privilege that can be taken away from individual players if they abuse it. That seems like a fair way to go about it; if you can be responsible, you can have a social media life; if you can't be responsible with it, you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad