Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thanks. This is what I thought....which is why I don't get what "decision" needs to be made. There's no reason for him to retire.

The decision of whether to be delusional and give it one more try, or just quietly say he's taking the year off and then dissapear till his contract's over. I mean it's hard to face the reality you can't play anymore and they kind of do have to give the appearance of him trying to play, I don't know if they can stash him on IR if he can in fact pass a physical.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The decision of whether to be delusional and give it one more try, or just quietly say he's taking the year off and then dissapear till his contract's over. I mean it's hard to face the reality you can't play anymore and they kind of do have to give the appearance of him trying to play, I don't know if they can stash him on IR if he can in fact pass a physical.

Ya I think that's more what it is. Part of him wants to try and keep playing.

It's hard for someone else to tell you you just can't do what you love anymore and then having to accept that.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Clowe needs to think about his life here. Which I'm sure he has and I trust that he is, so what I'm saying shouldn't come into account unless he decides he wants to keep playing.

If he continues playing though, it could result in a miserable existence for the duration of his life.

It's a shame because he was still an effective player last we saw him, or at least fairly effective. He just can't take hits without some concussion happening nowadays, or at least it seems that way.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
The only thing regarding Kovalchuk I remember him being truly dismissive about is the rumors of him returning to the Devils in some super slick Louphole the past few seasons when the league and Devils have clearly stated what it would take for that to happen.

Not that I take a side on this matter, but the night Kovalchuk got traded, before the deal went down TG tweeted something to the effect of "Devils fans should keep dreaming" or something to that effect.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Clowe needs to think about his life here. Which I'm sure he has and I trust that he is, so what I'm saying shouldn't come into account unless he decides he wants to keep playing.

If he continues playing though, it could result in a miserable existence for the duration of his life.

It's a shame because he was still an effective player last we saw him, or at least fairly effective. He just can't take hits without some concussion happening nowadays, or at least it seems that way.

how many seconds does he last after spinning on a seat?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Not that I take a side on this matter, but the night Kovalchuk got traded, before the deal went down TG tweeted something to the effect of "Devils fans should keep dreaming" or something to that effect.

He posted that at the end of the exact blog post I quoted as part of; "that's all I have for now, resume your speculation and dreaming." It was like 1 am and the day was full of trade scenarios, rumors and denials. The trade was made the next afternoon.

It didn't come across as dismissive at all to me,so much as bowing out of the factual portion of the news and saying let the rumor mill resume until he has something fact based to report. It has to be hard for a reporter to even attempt to engage the fan comments that are loaded with the very thing he has to avoid or risk his job/reputation.

But that's just me I guess.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Rookie tryout roster released as per Cordell. They will be playing a round robin against Buffalo & Boston rookies.

The roster breaks down as follows:

*amateur tryout

Forwards (15) - Reid Boucher, Pavel Zacha, Ben Thomson, John Quenneville, Joseph Blandisi, Graham Black, Blake Coleman, Brandon Baddock, Ryan Kujawinski, Blake Pietila, Matt Lorito, Connor Chatham, Max Novak, Blake Speers and Alexandre Goulet*

Defensemen (7) - Raman Hrabarenka, Reece Scarlett, Vojtech Mozik, Ryan Rehill, Josh Jacobs, Colton White and Jacob Sweeney*

Goaltenders (2) - Mackenzie Blackwood and Ken Appleby*

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Rookie tryout roster released as per Cordell. They will be playing a round robin against Buffalo & Boston rookies.

*amateur tryout

Forwards (15) - Reid Boucher, Pavel Zacha, Ben Thomson, John Quenneville, Joseph Blandisi, Graham Black, Blake Coleman, Brandon Baddock, Ryan Kujawinski, Blake Pietila, Matt Lorito, Connor Chatham, Max Novak, Blake Speers and Alexandre Goulet*

Defensemen (7) - Raman Hrabarenka, Reece Scarlett, Vojtech Mozik, Ryan Rehill, Josh Jacobs, Colton White and Jacob Sweeney*

Novak over Ben Johnson is a surprise, but, Johnson may be tending to legal matters at the moment.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

*amateur tryout

That's actually an encouraging group, not a lot of high end talent but a lot of potential for depth.

TheDarkSideOfThePuck

Aug 27, 2009
Ottawa
My attempt at a line-up

Boucher-Zacha-Speers
Coleman-Quenneville-Black
Kujawinski-Blandisi-Lorito
Thomson-Pietila-Chatham
Baddock-Goulet-Novak

Jacobs-Hrabarenka
Mozik-Scarlett
White-Rehill
Sweeney

Blackwood
Appleby

Hard to predict with all those C and RD

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

Larsson in High Scoring-Tough Deployment
Greene in Low Scoring-Tough Deployment
Gelinas in High Scoring-Soft Deployment
Moore in Low Scoring-Soft Deployment

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Larsson in High Scoring-Tough Deployment
Greene in Low Scoring-Tough Deployment
Gelinas in High Scoring-Soft Deployment
Moore in Low Scoring-Soft Deployment

Impressive for Larsson, and about what I would have expected from Greene and Gelinas respectively, but Moore doesn't look so great. Hopefully he can step it up a bit this season. If he's getting the soft minutes, it would be good to have him producing. What scares me with Moore is that I've read he doesn't have the highest hockey IQ, and that can be really difficult to overcome. Guess we'll just have to see what happens this season. I'm crossing my fingers for him to do well.

kiwidevil

Gelinas is a perfect player for a 11F, 7D set up.
Play him very limited, only very easy Even strength OZ minutes unless you are behind, lots of PP minutes and pop him in at forward for a bit when/if needed.

NHL Fanatik*

Larsson-Greene, if theyre a pair, will be a top 5-7 d pair in the league this season. Think it would be wise to split them, but just saying.

elindholm

Jun 3, 2013
Larsson-Greene, if theyre a pair, will be a top 5-7 d pair in the league this season. Think it would be wise to split them, but just saying.

Why split them up? If a pair work well together, don't oil it if it doesn't squeak. I think Merrill should be with Moore, Gelly & Severson. If you think about it ALL of our D men have an offensive skill set.

everyone selling Gelly short on D zone skills.Although he has shortcomings, He's a big man, big wingspan, and can get the puck out quickly. Just maybe he'd be an asset on PK?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

I think that's a stretch. Obviously I'd like for them to be, but that's setting the bar quite high IMO.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Gelinas is a perfect player for a 11F, 7D set up.
Play him very limited, only very easy Even strength OZ minutes unless you are behind, lots of PP minutes and pop him in at forward for a bit when/if needed.

I agree, though normally when you start using a player in such a way, it usually means they're either about to be a forward full time or about to be cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad