Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Lol @ the Wings Devils GDT and people saying Jack was the one at fault for that. He comes back on an empty net and some no named bum is emoting over him off an empty net goal in a game that his team dominated, of course he's going to be mad. Dillon did the same exact thing standing up for himself too, enough with the double standards lol

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Lol @ the Wings Devils GDT and people saying Jack was the one at fault for that. He comes back on an empty net and some no named bum is emoting over him off an empty net goal in a game that his team dominated, of course he's going to be mad. Dillon did the same exact thing standing up for himself too, enough with the double standards lol
The laughing at Jack is silly and mostly for rival fans and Jack detractors

But this nonsense of the team showing more emotion at the end of losses versus during the game when they're getting elbows to the face and scrums with uneven penalty counts.. its got to end

We made an effort to make this team less 'soft' and yet they still are pulling some of the same stuff they did under Ruff. Takes time but itll keep happening if they dont figure it out

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The laughing at Jack is silly and mostly for rival fans and Jack detractors

But this nonsense of the team showing more emotion at the end of losses versus during the game when they're getting elbows to the face and scrums with uneven penalty counts.. its got to end

We made an effort to make this team less 'soft' and yet they still are pulling some of the same stuff they did under Ruff. Takes time but itll keep happening if they dont figure it out

Dillon fought a guy who boarded him and he got penalized more for it, it's f***ing pointless to be tough in this sport. They have to learn play harder not act like scumbags post whistle if that's what you mean a la Florida Panthers

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Dillon fought a guy who boarded him and he got penalized more for it, it's f***ing pointless to be tough in this sport. They have to learn play harder not act like scumbags post whistle if that's what you mean a la Florida Panthers
Well I agreed with your sentiment until you mentioned the reigning Cup champions lmao. They seem to have done something right!

And I dont need 'scumbag' acts, of course; but some heart in said scrums, and against those who specifically earned some face washes and fist-a-cuffs, I think sends a huge message going forward

I know Devils' fans cant stand Rempe but he sure does get a point across almost every time he engages post-whistle... a penalty or two sometimes is worth it. Or during play as well; I didnt see anyone lining Larkin up after the elbow

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Well I agreed with your sentiment until you mentioned the reigning Cup champions lmao. They seem to have done something right!

And I dont need 'scumbag' acts, of course; but some heart in said scrums, and against those who specifically earned some face washes and fist-a-cuffs, I think sends a huge message going forward

I know Devils' fans cant stand Rempe but he sure does get a point across almost every time he engages post-whistle... a penalty or two sometimes is worth it. Or during play as well; I didnt see anyone lining Larkin up after the elbow

But like I said in the previous post, Dillon did exactly what you're saying and it led to a PPG against. You're at the mercy of refs at that point.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
But like I said in the previous post, Dillon did exactly what you're saying and it led to a PPG against. You're at the mercy of refs at that point.
Yeah the Dillon instance was great and unfortunate that the league penalizes such things (and then rewards Kovacevic with a fighting major after not engaging and keeping his gloves on)

But at some point, after enough times, teams begin to take notice and there is less shenanigans. I understand the line is very thin and easily crossed but this team needs to learn to tightrope-walk it much better than they have

For now it isnt much of a game-breaker but in the playoffs it certainly is

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
And the refs often have trouble being consistent.

Dillon gets drilled and no call. Dillon gets up and waits for the other guy to agree to a fight and Dillon gets an extra penalty.

Chiarot ends up punching Kovacevic 4-5 times and Kovacevic doesn’t even drop his gloves. In this case the refs decide there is not an extra penalty.

I think there is a good case to be made that an extra penalty would be more reasonable to come from the second scenario but last night the refs decided different.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It's not the post whistle stuff that matters. The fighting and face washing and bear hugging is largely meaningless although if the refs aren't incompetent it would help. What really matters are the cheap shots the marginal players inflict during play. Think about what a shame it would be if Bastian or Lazar "accidentally" broke the thymus gland or stapes bone of a divisional opponent who happened to be leading his team in scoring and that player had to miss the rest of the season. That would be worth the two minute minor and $5k fine.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Very good points are made on both sides about how to deal with the physicality and extracurricular moments throughout a game. This is why Im not paid the big bucks in figuring out how the team should handle this

But whatever the answer(s) is/are, the Devils have a ways to go until they find it; or at least thats how I currently see it. They still are getting teased and toyed with too much for my liking

Oh what Id do for a Tom Wilson on Jack's wing...

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
when I took my youngest to a game and we had a few moments to chat with him he could not have been nicer to us. This was just before the start of a game and I probably should have left him alone and he still took a minute to chat.
How nice was that for you and your son. Where did you go to the game?

My3Sons

Sponsor
How nice was that for you and your son. Where did you go to the game?
It was two seasons ago. It was against Seattle at the Rock. Last season we didn't get back to the NY/NJ area during the hockey season so we couldn't get to a game. I'll be in DC for the next game against NJ but will be with my oldest son who will be much more interested in the beer choices at the arena than meeting the broadcasters. I'm going to go to see David Gilmour at MSG in November but I don't think we will have time for a hockey game.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Welp, it was disappointing when Askarov finally forced a trade and we'd already traded for two older goaltenders in Allen and Markstrom and didn't have the assets to acquire him - and it also made Askarov shy because he felt he wouldn't get playing time.

We've allowed what, 19 goals in the last 3 games? In no universe is that okay. We're now 5-5 on the season, which is much less good than 6-4, extrapolated out.

I think cause for concern is valid, new coach and new players and injuries aside. 6.195 GAA is not acceptable by the goalies or the defense or the entire darn team.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It was two seasons ago. It was against Seattle at the Rock. Last season we didn't get back to the NY/NJ area during the hockey season so we couldn't get to a game. I'll be in DC for the next game against NJ but will be with my oldest son who will be much more interested in the beer choices at the arena than meeting the broadcasters. I'm going to go to see David Gilmour at MSG in November but I don't think we will have time for a hockey game.

The 2-1 game they won cause of Blackwood and Dougie with Jack out or the one where Jack got rock bottomed on his shoulder?

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is it possible the Manny Legace hiring was an indication that Rogalski is on the hot seat?

Kind of like when an established head coach is brought in as assistant (Brunette in 2022) or associate when it appears that head coach is on the hot seat? I think Legace’s role is a new one. I don’t believe he replaced anyone.

I’m trying to make sense of why Rogalski survived everyone (other than Chris Taylor) and still remains. It’s like when that storm in Forrest Gump wiped out every ship other than Forrest’s and him and Lieutenant Dan had all the shrimp to themselves because they were the only ship left standing.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Is it possible the Manny Legace hiring was an indication that Rogalski is on the hot seat?

Kind of like when an established head coach is brought in as assistant (Brunette in 2022) or associate when it appears that head coach is on the hot seat? I think Legace’s role is a new one. I don’t believe he replaced anyone.

I’m trying to make sense of why Rogalski survived everyone (other than Chris Taylor) and still remains. It’s like when that storm in Forrest Gump wiped out every ship other than Forrest’s and him and Lieutenant Dan had all the shrimp to themselves because they were the only ship left standing.
Apparently Rogalski is going to be given a special assignment by the organization to go live with you and help you out with the stoppable goals evaluation.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
It's not the post whistle stuff that matters. The fighting and face washing and bear hugging is largely meaningless although if the refs aren't incompetent it would help. What really matters are the cheap shots the marginal players inflict during play. Think about what a shame it would be if Bastian or Lazar "accidentally" broke the thymus gland or stapes bone of a divisional opponent who happened to be leading his team in scoring and that player had to miss the rest of the season. That would be worth the two minute minor and $5k fine.
:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Someone post when Jack bitched Seider with a reverse hit last year

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The last few games have been super disappointing but if you look at some key stats for the Devils so far we are certainly not in as bad of shape as some make it seem. We are finally pretty much fully healthy too. We have a top 10 offense , top 5 power play and are middle of the pack for goals against so far. Really if we can just get some better goaltending from our duo and tighten up a bit on defense than there really isn't a reason why we shouldn't make the playoffs. Also keep in mind the offense is top 10 with Jack and Dougie's slow start and Luke only getting 1 game so far.

We really will see if Keefe is that good of a coach and if the new additions were worth the price over the next 10 games or so. I'd say the 20-25 game mark is good at grading what teams are not making the playoffs for sure and what teams have a realistic chance.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The last few games have been super disappointing but if you look at some key stats for the Devils so far we are certainly not in as bad of shape as some make it seem. We are finally pretty much fully healthy too. We have a top 10 offense , top 5 power play and are middle of the pack for goals against so far. Really if we can just get some better goaltending from our duo and tighten up a bit on defense than there really isn't a reason why we shouldn't make the playoffs. Also keep in mind the offense is top 10 with Jack and Dougie's slow start and Luke only getting 1 game so far.

We really will see if Keefe is that good of a coach and if the new additions were worth the price over the next 10 games or so. I'd say the 20-25 game mark is good at grading what teams are not making the playoffs for sure and what teams have a realistic chance.
isn't US Thanksgiving the traditional evaluation point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad