Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You do rotate if you're serious about developing a guy who will increase the potential for this team more than Kovacevic will. Not to say Nemec has to play every game over Kovacevic (or they can run 11-7) but its something that'll be beneficial in the long run. Also they have 4 games in 6 nights and they have a pretty condensed schedule coming up until Nov 16 so a d rotation to keep guys fresh would probably be beneficial.

Also it hasn't been the easiest ride for Nemec either so some grace should be given - 20 year old in his 2nd NHL season and under his 3rd NHL head coach already and started off the season paired with a right handed rookie defenseman.

There's also another option to keep both Kovacevic and Nemec in the lineup if Pesce could get up to speed quick and they're okay with trying a R-R pairing again with Hamilton: (either running 11-7 or taking Dillon out of the lineup):

Pesce-Hamilton
Siegenthaler-Kovacevic
Hughes-Nemec
Dillon

But all this is going to be moot when someone else gets injured knowing how it goes lol
Exactly this. You don’t just change your entire mindset, plan, and opinions over a guy having a strong 5-6 game stretch.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
First and most important thing I’ll say here is that I don’t think for a second the AHL would help Nemec improve what he needs to improve.

And he was more than good enough last year and has been good enough recently. Nemec was better than Kovacevic last year. Kovacevic was never a solid 4/5 to anyone or expected to play over Nemec by anyone on here 3 weeks ago.
That’s half my point here. Your entire opinion of a player shouldn’t change from 5-6 games of good play. That’s far too reactionary. He’s played better than anyone expected to start but his play has already started to drop (with the rest of the team) and he isn’t unsittable down the stretch of the season. There should and probably will be some rotation and it makes all the sense in the world that Nemec will rotate in for him at some point while he tries to find his best game again.
It makes zero sense to break up what has been our best pairing in our first 8 games because you are hoping a struggling young dman will find his game. The NHL isn't a place to "find your game", especially for a team with our defensive depth. He needs reps to get his timing back, and he shouldn't be getting them over any of our top 6 dmen with the way he's played.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
As I’ve said many times here I strongly disagree with sending him to the AHL. I think sticking around and playing 12 minutes every third game is more beneficial than going back to the AHL.

The things he needs to work on won’t get better playing more minutes in the AHL.
Agree to disagree then; I dont see how less reps is beneficial to any player, let alone one who grew up playing large minutes in most situations

You often hear about players being 'bounced around' in the big leagues... not sure how often I hear about players losing much, outside confidence, when given extended looks in the minors

Plus he isnt even of legal age to drink yet lol. Lots of future for him to get NHL minutes. Maybe he sticks up here and is better off for it; im up for whatever the Devils think is best for him

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It makes zero sense to break up what has been our best pairing in our first 8 games because you are hoping a struggling young dman will find his game. The NHL isn't a place to "find your game", especially for a team with our defensive depth. He needs reps to get his timing back, and he shouldn't be getting them over any of our top 6 dmen with the way he's played.
He hasn’t been close to our worst defensemen in the recent stretch. He’s been finding his game although I know we disagree about this. Nobody is saying to play him over Kovacevic right now but Kovacevic’s has already started dropping but to a more realistic level and it makes all the sense in the world to rotate him out with Nemec at some point depending on the situation.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Agree to disagree then; I dont see how less reps is beneficial to any player, let alone one who grew up playing large minutes in most situations

You often hear about players being 'bounced around' in the big leagues... not sure how often I hear about players losing much, outside confidence, when given extended looks in the minors

Plus he isnt even of legal age to drink yet lol. Lots of future for him to get NHL minutes
The idea that the young guys have to play a ton of games and minutes to get better is complete bs. He also grew up playing far less games than they play now in the NHL or AHL. By far the most players improve is in practice and the benefits of sending or not sending a player down is completely case by case. Although the AHL is arguably not a very good development league.

For Nemec his development is all about learning what he can and can’t get away with at the NHL level and how to play with intensity and compete every shift.
Sending him down to the AHL where he can get away with more and doesn’t have to be as locked in every shift will be completely counterproductive.

If you don’t think players lose confidence getting sent down to and stuck in the minors I don’t know what to tell you.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
The idea that the young guys have to play a ton of games and minutes to get better is complete bs. He also grew up playing far less games than they play now in the NHL or AHL. By far the most players improve is in practice and the benefits of sending or not sending a player down is completely case by case. Although the AHL is arguably not a very good development league.

For Nemec his development is all about learning what he can and can’t get away with at the NHL level and how to play with intensity and compete every shift.
Sending him down to the AHL where he can get away with more and doesn’t have to be as locked in every shift will be completely counterproductive.

If you don’t think players lose confidence getting sent down to and stuck in the minors I don’t know what to tell you.
I do, in fact, think the amount of reps and minutes a player gets is directly correlated to their development; at least to a degree that is quantifiable by statistics

And I stated in my post that confidence is usually the one thing hampered by sending a player down.. but tends to also be the only thing

The Devils have a good problem here so Im not concerned; its simply a difference of opinion on development.. though yours seems to stray from the common mindset

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad