Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You do rotate if you're serious about developing a guy who will increase the potential for this team more than Kovacevic will. Not to say Nemec has to play every game over Kovacevic (or they can run 11-7) but its something that'll be beneficial in the long run. Also they have 4 games in 6 nights and they have a pretty condensed schedule coming up until Nov 16 so a d rotation to keep guys fresh would probably be beneficial.

Also it hasn't been the easiest ride for Nemec either so some grace should be given - 20 year old in his 2nd NHL season and under his 3rd NHL head coach already and started off the season paired with a right handed rookie defenseman.

There's also another option to keep both Kovacevic and Nemec in the lineup if Pesce could get up to speed quick and they're okay with trying a R-R pairing again with Hamilton: (either running 11-7 or taking Dillon out of the lineup):

Pesce-Hamilton
Siegenthaler-Kovacevic
Hughes-Nemec
Dillon

But all this is going to be moot when someone else gets injured knowing how it goes lol
Exactly this. You don’t just change your entire mindset, plan, and opinions over a guy having a strong 5-6 game stretch.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
First and most important thing I’ll say here is that I don’t think for a second the AHL would help Nemec improve what he needs to improve.

And he was more than good enough last year and has been good enough recently. Nemec was better than Kovacevic last year. Kovacevic was never a solid 4/5 to anyone or expected to play over Nemec by anyone on here 3 weeks ago.
That’s half my point here. Your entire opinion of a player shouldn’t change from 5-6 games of good play. That’s far too reactionary. He’s played better than anyone expected to start but his play has already started to drop (with the rest of the team) and he isn’t unsittable down the stretch of the season. There should and probably will be some rotation and it makes all the sense in the world that Nemec will rotate in for him at some point while he tries to find his best game again.
It makes zero sense to break up what has been our best pairing in our first 8 games because you are hoping a struggling young dman will find his game. The NHL isn't a place to "find your game", especially for a team with our defensive depth. He needs reps to get his timing back, and he shouldn't be getting them over any of our top 6 dmen with the way he's played.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
As I’ve said many times here I strongly disagree with sending him to the AHL. I think sticking around and playing 12 minutes every third game is more beneficial than going back to the AHL.

The things he needs to work on won’t get better playing more minutes in the AHL.
Agree to disagree then; I dont see how less reps is beneficial to any player, let alone one who grew up playing large minutes in most situations

You often hear about players being 'bounced around' in the big leagues... not sure how often I hear about players losing much, outside confidence, when given extended looks in the minors

Plus he isnt even of legal age to drink yet lol. Lots of future for him to get NHL minutes. Maybe he sticks up here and is better off for it; im up for whatever the Devils think is best for him

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It makes zero sense to break up what has been our best pairing in our first 8 games because you are hoping a struggling young dman will find his game. The NHL isn't a place to "find your game", especially for a team with our defensive depth. He needs reps to get his timing back, and he shouldn't be getting them over any of our top 6 dmen with the way he's played.
He hasn’t been close to our worst defensemen in the recent stretch. He’s been finding his game although I know we disagree about this. Nobody is saying to play him over Kovacevic right now but Kovacevic’s has already started dropping but to a more realistic level and it makes all the sense in the world to rotate him out with Nemec at some point depending on the situation.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Agree to disagree then; I dont see how less reps is beneficial to any player, let alone one who grew up playing large minutes in most situations

You often hear about players being 'bounced around' in the big leagues... not sure how often I hear about players losing much, outside confidence, when given extended looks in the minors

Plus he isnt even of legal age to drink yet lol. Lots of future for him to get NHL minutes
The idea that the young guys have to play a ton of games and minutes to get better is complete bs. He also grew up playing far less games than they play now in the NHL or AHL. By far the most players improve is in practice and the benefits of sending or not sending a player down is completely case by case. Although the AHL is arguably not a very good development league.

For Nemec his development is all about learning what he can and can’t get away with at the NHL level and how to play with intensity and compete every shift.
Sending him down to the AHL where he can get away with more and doesn’t have to be as locked in every shift will be completely counterproductive.

If you don’t think players lose confidence getting sent down to and stuck in the minors I don’t know what to tell you.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
The idea that the young guys have to play a ton of games and minutes to get better is complete bs. He also grew up playing far less games than they play now in the NHL or AHL. By far the most players improve is in practice and the benefits of sending or not sending a player down is completely case by case. Although the AHL is arguably not a very good development league.

For Nemec his development is all about learning what he can and can’t get away with at the NHL level and how to play with intensity and compete every shift.
Sending him down to the AHL where he can get away with more and doesn’t have to be as locked in every shift will be completely counterproductive.

If you don’t think players lose confidence getting sent down to and stuck in the minors I don’t know what to tell you.
I do, in fact, think the amount of reps and minutes a player gets is directly correlated to their development; at least to a degree that is quantifiable by statistics

And I stated in my post that confidence is usually the one thing hampered by sending a player down.. but tends to also be the only thing

The Devils have a good problem here so Im not concerned; its simply a difference of opinion on development.. though yours seems to stray from the common mindset

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Among many other issues...

If the Devils arent going to have Dougie shooting for volume like he used to, then maybe he should be moved. Thats a lot of dough being used up for a powerplay quarterback that we can get out of multiple other, cheaper guys

At minimum he needs to come off of PP1 for a while and try Luke there, in my opinion. Six shots in a game with five powerplays is simply not enough

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Among many other issues...

If the Devils arent going to have Dougie shooting for volume like he used to, then maybe he should be moved. Thats a lot of dough being used up for a powerplay quarterback that we can get out of multiple other, cheaper guys

At minimum he needs to come off of PP1 for a while and try Luke there, in my opinion

Dougie Hamilton had 6 shots on goal and 14 shot attempts tonight........

Reactions: Dialamo and My3Sons

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Dougie Hamilton had 6 shots on goal and 14 shot attempts tonight........
Six shots on net in a game where there were five powerlays he was spear-heading? I dont know man... seems seriously low. Either that or his ability to get them on net has disappeared

Nine million for six of fourteen attempts making it through seems like poorly spent cash

It wasnt why we lost, of course. Just frustrating to see considering we have kids who can handle the puck, when they arent shooting, like its not a grenade

If our powerplay seems to run through Jack and the dots, then maybe we dont need the low-accuracy volume shooter up top

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Six shots on net in a game where there were five powerlays he was spear-heading? I dont know man... seems seriously low. Either that or his ability to get them on net has disappeared

Nine million for six of fourteen attempts making it through seems like poorly spent cash

It wasnt why we lost, of course. Just frustrating to see considering we have kids who can handle the puck, when they arent shooting, like its not a grenade

If our powerplay seems to run through Jack and the dots, then maybe we dont need the low-accuracy volume shooter up top

the PP had 3 goals?

I'm not even sure what you're talking about dude. Weird stuff.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
bitching about a guy who had 6 shots and 14 shot attempts in a game where we scored 3 ppg is really weird, yes.

thinking 6 shots is "kinda low" for a DMan is also a weird take.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Six shots on net in a game where there were five powerlays he was spear-heading?
Makar shoots a lot for a defenseman and is a featured offensive player.

He had 231 shots on goal last year.

If Hamilton did tonight every night he would have 491 shots in a season.

6 shots is a lot of shots for a forward in a night, it’s a ton for a defenseman.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Makar shoots a lot for a defenseman and is a featured offensive player.

He had 231 shots on goal last year.

If Hamilton did tonight every night he would have 491 shots in a season.

6 shots is a lot of shots for a forward in a night, it’s a ton for a defenseman.
i must not have worded myself properly; its probably on me

Six shots through on sixteen attempts is 37.5%. At that point id rather have someone who can also move their feet, and utilize Meier or the net-front guy more

Perhaps its a one-off game but I dont think the powerplay is utilizing Hamilton the same way we were in his career year. Tonight should have been a game he saw 10+ SOG with how little they covered him, no matter how much of an anomaly for defenseman that is.

Its mainly a money issue at this point; if Dougie was making 6-7m then this isnt much of an issue. But hes not, therefore I need much better than 37.5% shooting accuracy in a game where penalties dictated the pace of play

bitching about a guy who had 6 shots and 14 shot attempts in a game where we scored 3 ppg is really weird, yes.

thinking 6 shots is "kinda low" for a DMan is also a weird take.
See above. Perhaps that clears up my opinion on the matter. If not, I tried lol and theres always next game for Dougie to prove me wrong

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
i must not have worded myself properly; its probably on me

Six shots through on sixteen attempts is 37.5%. At that point id rather have someone who can also move their feet, and utilize Meier or the net-front guy more

Perhaps its a one-off game but I dont think the powerplay is utilizing Hamilton the same way we were in his career year. Tonight ahould have been a game he saw 10+ SOG, no matter how much of an anomaly for defenseman that is.

Its mainly a money issue at this point; if Dougie was making 6-7m then this isnt much of an issue. But hes not, therefore I need much better than 37.5% shooting accuracy in a game where penalties dictated the pace of play

See above. Perhaps that clears up my opinion on the matter. If not, I tried lol and theres always next game for Dougie to prove me wrong
Makar only got 39% of his shot attempts on goal last year.

Based on that 37.5% seems like a probably reasonable number of shot attempted turning into shots.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Makar only got 39% of his shot attempts on goal last year.

Based on that 37.5% seems like a probably reasonable number of shot attempted turning into shots.
Dougie averaged 48% in his career year with us, as well as his career average being 48%

Which ties into my overarching point that Dougie under 45-50% shooting accuracy seems wasteful.

Cale Makar can move the puck with a level of excellence that Dougie could only dream of. He has more options than Dougie. Therefore, when he isnt shooting his average %, he is not nearly as effective

Edit: Dougie is also at his lowest career shooting % currently, at below 3%. I just feel the powerplay isnt as kind to him this season; and that may be by design, which is why id rather try Luke there

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Dougie averaged 48% in his career year with us, as well as his career average being 48%

Which ties into my overarching point that Dougie under 45-50% shooting accuracy seems wasteful.

Cale Makar can move the puck with a level of excellence that Dougie could only dream of. He has more options than Dougie. Therefore, when he isnt shooting his average %, he is not nearly as effective

Edit: Dougie is also at his lowest career shooting % currently, at below 3%. I just feel the powerplay isnt as kind to him this season; and that may be by design, which is why id rather try Luke there
Hamilton is just under 50% for this season.

Some games you’ll be above average and sometimes below. Tonight’s game seems pretty reasonable as a below game.

Shooting percentage wildly fluctuates because everyone scores at such a low rate. I wouldn’t take a 10 game sample and then think that will tell me much about the next 70 games.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Hamilton is just under 50% for this season.

Some games you’ll be above average and sometimes below. Tonight’s game seems pretty reasonable as a below game.

Shooting percentage wildly fluctuates because everyone scores at such a low rate. I wouldn’t take a 10 game sample and then think that will tell me much about the next 70 games.
Thats fair and some of this is reactionary after such a vitriol-filled game for us. Ill be the first to say that, obviously, Dougie isnt going anywhere this season nor is it reasonable to assume he shoots close to 2% (or 37.5% SA) for the remainder of the season

But games like tonight do give me the feeling that we may be bottle-necking our PPQB with him versus, say, a Luke or Seamus or Simon.

If Dougie was able to move his feet and make plays I wouldnt feel this way; but games like tonight do make me wonder what we could be doing with his nine million, considering he isnt all that great defensively either (lol who am I kidding; well be paying most of that nine million to Luke!)

Reactions: Devils731

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
WE CAN'T AGREE ON ANYTHING HERE
I like to think its all good-spirited, fiery debate; I dont personally feel anything about anyone when these conversations come up. Though sometimes the pot shots feel a bit too much but.. again, things can get fiery sometimes

I dont want anyone here thinking I dont respect their opinions though; I just hope everyone else feels the same about each other. Its healthier that way.. even if its a lot of loud disagreeing lol

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I like to think its all good-spirited, fiery debate; I dont personally feel anything about anyone when these conversations come up. Though sometimes the pot shots feel a bit too much but; again, things can get fiery sometimes

I dont want anyone here thinking I dont respect their opinions though; I just hope everyone else feels the same about each other. Its healthier that way.. even if its a lot of loud disagreeing lol
I was just joking.

To your point, however, I like attacking ideas, but I don't like attacking people. There's a difference, and you can disagree with ideas and beliefs without resorting to name calling and demeaning people who don't agree with you.

Reactions: Deviled

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
I was just joking.

To your point, however, I like attacking ideas, but I don't like attacking people. There's a difference, and you can disagree with ideas and beliefs without resorting to name calling and demeaning people who don't agree with you.
I also have no right to tell others they are wrong for doing so since I only recently came to a point of maturity to realize this; I just hope others can also see it as such

If anything, making yourself feel better is reason enough for being cordial; let alone helping others feel better in doing so

.... but enough of the kum ba yah, Devils suck!!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What do you think of Bill Spaulding as the play by play announcer?
when I took my youngest to a game and we had a few moments to chat with him he could not have been nicer to us. This was just before the start of a game and I probably should have left him alone and he still took a minute to chat.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
when I took my youngest to a game and we had a few moments to chat with him he could not have been nicer to us. This was just before the start of a game and I probably should have left him alone and he still took a minute to chat.
I once caught Bryce on his way downstairs, clearly in a rush to head somewhere; I didnt burden him but said hello and he was nice enough to stop for a moment and say hello, ask if we were enjoying ourselves

Devils seemingly love hiring saints!

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad