D Tanner Molendyk - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2023, 24th, NSH)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a hard player to figure out and project as an undersized, highly mobile defensive defender.

If he was 6'2 it would be easy to take his skating/edgwork, IQ, solid transition skills and project him as a Noah Hanifin and a top 10 or 15 pick in the draft. But at 5'11 185 ... man. There's the odd Jared Spurgeon out there but it's hard to be a high-minute NHL defender if you're small and don't have elite offensive skill to cancel out size/strength issues.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He's a hard player to figure out and project as an undersized, highly mobile defensive defender.

If he was 6'2 it would be easy to take his skating/edgwork, IQ, solid transition skills and project him as a Noah Hanifin and a top 10 or 15 pick in the draft. But at 5'11 185 ... man. There's the odd Jared Spurgeon out there but it's hard to be a high-minute NHL defender if you're small and don't have elite offensive skill to cancel out size/strength issues.
Some people have him ranked kinda high but I think he will end up sliding in the draft. He's never really overly impressed me NHL potential wise

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Some people have him ranked kinda high but I think he will end up sliding in the draft. He's never really overly impressed me NHL potential wise

It's certainly possible.

Mats Lindgren II had a very similar skillset last year in terms of his size/puck skills/magical edgework and was projected as a 2nd rounder before falling to #106 overall. I do think that Molendyk is a higher-IQ defensive player, though.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Was hoping he would drop to #33 so the Blackhawks could scoop him. Ah well.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think he is a type of player the ducks would have gone for… reminds me a bit of Drysdale. Really good skater, strong defensive upside… sneaky offensive potential.

Reactions: Dominance

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Trotz wanted a guy to get fans out of their seats and he got one here. This guy is one of the smoothest skaters you'll find on the back end and he loves to sprinkle in the odd end to end rush.

Reactions: Dominance

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't like him being drafted this high. Yes he's a good player but definately not a 1st rounder I feel.. But Preds have always been Dman drafting gurus so hopefully this turns out well for them

Reactions: Realgud

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I personally felt that he was first round pick material most of the time(I think I had him around top 20). Let's see how this pick plays out. He should be in a good place to prove himself now.

Especially nice if he had some growth in him as well.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Tanner now listed at 6.01 182 on Preds roster for todays game. Gain 2 inches.
I noticed quite a lot of players on the Preds rookie camp list got a bonus inch or two added in the latest roster lists... if it was just 1 guy, maybe but it seemed to be a lot of them, so I wouldn't necessarily take those numbers at face value. :dunno:

That said, he has looked very good so far for the Preds. I think it has reassured a lot of us who watched the draft and were eyeballing some different names on draft day. Most fans are happy with the pick now we've seen him playing.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I noticed quite a lot of players on the Preds rookie camp list got a bonus inch or two added in the latest roster lists... if it was just 1 guy, maybe but it seemed to be a lot of them, so I wouldn't necessarily take those numbers at face value. :dunno:

That said, he has looked very good so far for the Preds. I think it has reassured a lot of us who watched the draft and were eyeballing some different names on draft day. Most fans are happy with the pick now we've seen him playing.
Meaaured them all with skates on

• Haha
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

FightingEmu

Apr 10, 2023
So are we rethinking his upside? That speed is nuts and im not sure whats going on with his measurements but it sure looks like he's 6 foot 1 now- lol!

32 in 26 as a dman? Earned a critical role on team Canadas WJC squad- didn't play but still. It looks to me like he was a guy with skills who maybe just want that in a role to thrive offensively OR the extra couple inches is just what he needed to put his game together.

Kid looks stellar this year. Definitely NOT a guy I had pegged as a big post draft riser but Nashville just cannot seem to miss with these offensive defensemen- lol! I'm starting to think he's legit...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad