Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Simon Nemec (and Slovakia) literally won a bronze 2 years ago.

When's the last time the Devils made a conference final?
There’s like seven tier-one hockey nations, and Slovakia is at best five. I don’t know what to tell you, bud.

I said I don’t care if Nemec plays there, but don’t sit here and act like Slovakia actually has more than a fighter’s chance at gold relative to the Devils winning a Cup. That guy acting like that qualifier is more relevant competitively than the Devils making the playoffs is a joke.

Reactions: Darkauron

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
in my humble opinion, “hockey” is more important than the NHL. I have no problem with players dropping everything they’re doing to represent their country. For many of them, that might be how they fell in love with the sport. Injuries are always gonna happen, that’s why you don’t trade Seamus Casey until you absolutely have to.

Had tomato pie for the first time today at De Lorenzo's in Robinsville.

Flavors were awesome but that cracker crust is just weird to me...felt the same about New Haven pizza. The Connecticut pizza didn't taste nearly as good as De Lorenzo's...but that crust is similar for all of Sally's, Pepe"s and De Lorenzo's...I can appreciate it for what it is but to this Northern NJ boy that's all just sheshe California Pizza.

Edit: ah shit this was supposed to be for the TAN
we have never been more in a fight

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
They’ll likely miss the playoffs? Alert the oddsmakers, their algorithms are off.

View attachment 904229
In the end this changes nothing if the argument is that only gold or the cup matters. If that's the case, the Devils have just been wasting their time for the last 21 years.

It's an argument that makes no sense from the perspective of sports.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
In the end this changes nothing if the argument is that only gold or the cup matters. If that's the case, the Devils have just been wasting their time for the last 21 years.

It's an argument that makes no sense from the perspective of sports.
I don’t agree with the anti-international competition stuff being said in here. But I don’t need to see some finish guy trash the NHL team whose board he’s on.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Whats a problem with Finish guy trash NHL team? Or is it right for americans only?
Same reason I don’t go onto the Rangers board and trash their team. It’s only going to antagonize people for no reason.

Person had never posted here until yesterday so it’s not like he has some true interest in a discussion here; he just wanted to argue and he started with a nonsense insult.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Yes, let's ban players from playing for their national teams of their countries, who invested money, time, educated them, fed them, taught them hockey, invested resources in them without any real monetary exhaust. And at the same time, lets ban hockey players from riding on American roads, especially on a bicycle.

Based

Reactions: glenwo2

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Same reason I don’t go onto the Rangers board and trash their team. It’s only going to antagonize people for no reason.

Person had never posted here until yesterday so it’s not like he has some true interest in a discussion here; he just wanted to argue and he started with a nonsense insult.
Kinda. The truth is he is more right at least about previous part. And most of bad brainless comments were made before, with trashing Slovakian national team too. He is not even Slovakian, so its not like he is trying to just defend his own national team. And some Slovakian fans have all the rights to do it in this case.

So yeah may be he isnt gentleman, but he isnt the first one who wasnt gentleman.

In general, players are not property, even with a contract. And everything does not revolve around the teams that issued the contract. And it shouldn't spin. You are free people outside of working hours. And now it's off-hours. I understand that the culture is different, but Europeans are not brought up in an egocentric culture and they themselves want to do something for the sake of their country, which helped them become a hockey professional. These same systems helped NHL teams to be able to get such high-quality and talented professionals to making money from them.

Reactions: Xirik and My3Sons

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
At the end of the day it's all entertainment really. The olympics and the NHL. Annoyed at the premise that your employer owns your life, but these days the IOC is just a bunch of guys trying to sell media rights, tickets and advertising just like the NHL. Ruining your career for them seems foolish to me personally.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
At the end of the day it's all entertainment really. The olympics and the NHL. Annoyed at the premise that your employer owns your life, but these days the IOC is just a bunch of guys trying to sell media rights, tickets and advertising just like the NHL. Ruining your career for them seems foolish to me personally.

Nemec doesn't play for the Olympic committee, he plays for his country. Something he has done all of his career. Far longer than he has been a Devil.

Again, it's a culture thing. I understand that North America is different, maybe some people here need to try and understand that it is different for Europeans.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Nemec doesn't play for the Olympic committee, he plays for his country. Something he has done all of his career. Far longer than he has been a Devil.

Again, it's a culture thing. I understand that North America is different, maybe some people here need to try and understand that it is different for Europeans.
No I agree and get it, I can't even think of the last American Olympian I would say is even motivated by patriotism on any level, at least among the top ones.

Reactions: britdevil

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Kinda. The truth is he is more right at least about previous part. And most of bad brainless comments were made before, with trashing Slovakian national team too. He is not even Slovakian, so its not like he is trying to just defend his own national team. And some Slovakian fans have all the rights to do it in this case.

So yeah may be he isnt gentleman, but he isnt the first one who wasnt gentleman.

In general, players are not property, even with a contract. And everything does not revolve around the teams that issued the contract. And it shouldn't spin. You are free people outside of working hours. And now it's off-hours. I understand that the culture is different, but Europeans are not brought up in an egocentric culture and they themselves want to do something for the sake of their country, which helped them become a hockey professional. These same systems helped NHL teams to be able to get such high-quality and talented professionals to making money from them.

Actually, they are a property of the team they sign with. Not property in the sense they are slaves, but "a" property. There is a distinction. You sign a contract that says what you can and can not do. Just like you sign a life insurance policy that says you do not engage in activities that greatly increase the risk of death.

This isn't grade school. You have contractual obligations that you agree to when you put your big boy pen to paper.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
If you need an example, from this current roster, look no further than Nico and Palat and their reactions to winning/losing this years WHC.

I have never seen Nico so sad as to when they lost that final game against Palat's Czechia. Elation and devastation and yet full of pride for having represented their countries in a meaningful tournament, where they had a chance to rise to the top of the mountain in that competition.

It hits different. I don't care what you think of the WHC, yeah it's a bit tinpot and it's certainly not best on best, but to have the chance to win something for the country that raised you? Can't beat that.

No I agree and get it, I can't even think of the last American Olympian I would say is even motivated by patriotism on any level, at least among the top ones.

It's probably Vancouver 2010. USA wanted that bad. Unfortunately, so did Sid the Kid.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Actually, they are a property of the team they sign with. Not property in the sense they are slaves, but "a" property. There is a distinction. You sign a contract that says what you can and can not do. Just like you sign a life insurance policy that says you do not engage in activities that greatly increase the risk of death.

This isn't grade school. You have contractual obligations that you agree to when you put your big boy pen to paper.
Okay. Go terminate this deal with Nemec if you dont like it. If he broke some rule.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
For a lot of Europeans its more than just fun. And its more than politics(even if modern politics are trying to make it politics). Its a culture. More culture than beer'n'sport for saturday evening.

Reactions: My3Sons

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Okay. Go terminate this deal with Nemec if you dont like it.

You're using sensationalism and extremes to try to make a point.

Players agree to certain things in order to make money. Part of the contract is that they will not engage in certain activities. They also agree to get approval from the team to do additional activities if they have injuries.

No one is saying you "cant" do anything but if you do those activities and get injured, you risk having your contract terminated.

If a player has it in their contract not to ride motorcycles at race tracks at 150MPH, decides to do it, crashes, and gets injured to the point they can never walk again, do you think a team is paying the remaining $50M on a contract while they sit on LTIR?

Never happen in a million years.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Players agree to certain things in order to make money. Part of the contract is that they will not engage in certain activities. They also agree to get approval from the team to do additional activities if they have injuries.

No one is saying you "cant" do anything but if you do those activities and get injured, you risk having your contract terminated.

If a player has it in their contract not to ride motorcycles at race tracks at 150MPH, decides to do it, crashes, and gets injured to the point they can never walk again, do you think a team is paying the remaining $50M on a contract while they sit on LTIR?

Again. if he broke some rules - lets terminate his deal. I believe some other teams will like it.

And dont forget to ban players for riding bicycle on american roads. Looks like it is more dangerous than international tournaments.

And of course I understand that NHL is trying to own players as much as they can because of the nature of the business and mentality. But it is working not so smooth - often players are bigger than their deals. So teams will live with it. You know why? Because players is everything this teams have. Its only players and nothing more.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

You mention sensationalism and then use that example? lol

Dude was playing hockey for his country lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad