Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i know it's mid-july but man the rogalski hate has gotten beyond ridiculous on here. his job is basically running practice drills and watching tape with goalies, it's really not as serious as you're all making it out to be.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
i know it's mid-july but man the rogalski hate has gotten beyond ridiculous on here. his job is basically running practice drills and watching tape with goalies, it's really not as serious as you're all making it out to be.
While I think it's not going to change a ton of stuff, there's certainly been goaltending problems with him at the helm.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Top goalie coaches make a real difference.

Mitch Korn (66) and Allaire brothers (Benoit, 60, and Francois, 68) are all deservedly legendary and arguably Hall of Fame worthy.

Then there’s Ian Clark (66) in Vancouver, Bob Essensa (59) in Boston, Sean Burke (57) in Vegas, Sudarshan Maharaj (60) in Anaheim.

Those are just the biggest names, I don’t know the new top goalie coaches, but these guys for sure have made discernible differences for teams.

There’s been a lot of growth in both the coaching and management of the NHL as it just recently started to get the attention it deserved.

Directors of Goaltending chose which goalies the teams pursue and, along with the coach, shape how those goalies play.

In his defense, there were times when Rogalski had almost nothing to work with, like in 2021-22. Not in his defense, guys seem to get coached up in Utica and then deteriorate up here.

The goaltending in 2023-24 was bad and a lot is riding on it in 2024-25, not sure I would go in with the coaching staff for goalies.

Nilsson calls himself a Development Coach for the Devils on Instagram, so I guess he’s that. That was Rogalski’s job in St Louis before we hired him here.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

Mitch Korn (66) and Allaire brothers (Benoit, 60, and Francois, 68) are all deservedly legendary and arguably Hall of Fame worthy.

Then there’s Ian Clark (66) in Vancouver, Bob Essensa (59) in Boston, Sean Burke (57) in Vegas, Sudarshan Maharaj (60) in Anaheim.

Those are just the biggest names, I don’t know the new top goalie coaches, but these guys for sure have made discernible differences for teams.

There’s been a lot of growth in both the coaching and management of the NHL as it just recently started to get the attention it deserved.

Directors of Goaltending chose which goalies the teams pursue and, along with the coach, shape how those goalies play.

In his defense, there were times when Rogalski had almost nothing to work with, like in 2021-22. Not in his defense, guys seem to get coached up in Utica and then deteriorate up here.

The goaltending in 2023-24 was bad and a lot is riding on it in 2024-25, not sure I would go in with the coaching staff for goalies.

Nilsson calls himself a Development Coach for the Devils on Instagram, so I guess he’s that. That was Rogalski’s job in St Louis before we hired him here.
yeah there's a handful of great ones and then the rest of them. it's not really a big deal lol

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

What is an example of a goalie who was coached up in Utica but didnt play well here?

Schmid and his mediocre stats? Or Daws at the age of 21?

The goaltending staff in Utica matters a metric ton more than up here

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
So the internet was wrong? Shocker
Screen Shot 2024-07-15 at 5.35.36 PM.png

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What is an example of a goalie who was coached up in Utica but didnt play well here?

Schmid and his mediocre stats? Or Daws at the age of 21?

The goaltending staff in Utica matters a metric ton more than up here

Their games tended to deteriorate after they got here.

Goalie coaches in the NHL matter.

So the internet was wrong? Shocker

Nilsson is calling himself a Devils Develment Coach so it’s not completely wrong.

Not sure why EP dumped Rogalski but they have incomplete staff rosters in the off-season.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Their games tended to deteriorate after they got here.

Goalie coaches in the NHL matter.

Nilsson is calling himself a Devils Develment Coach so it’s not completely wrong.

Not sure why EP dumped Rogalski but they have incomplete staff rosters in the off-season.
It sure does matter - I just dont think its to the extent that its what hampered Schmid or Daws, they had their own respective issues at the time

Well see how he does with two true veterans and then eventually Nico -again-. If he struggles next time after another good AHL year then Im on board

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Doesn't Vancouver basically have three Highly touted goalie coaches on their staff?

Reactions: Guttersniped

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Don't forget the CBA expires after the end of the 25/26 season. That can factor into some stuff.
Just hoping none of it affects our currently-signed contracts; this is an issue im having with the NBA and my Miami Heat. They signed deals before the first/second apron changes and are now punished for it via deals they signed before they knew itd be an issue

Thats just how the cards fell, so be it. But Id like that not to happen to me twice thank you very much

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
$150K guaranteed? Damn
He's replacing Clarke in a 1 for 1 trade. Clarke made $70K on the final yr of his ELC, so he would have been due for a similar raise or more if he were still here. He did lead the Comets in goals in both of the last 2 seasons. Seems like an OK contract for Beckman.

Clarke still hasn't signed with Minnesota so we can't compare their contracts yet.

Reactions: theoptimist

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I genuinely have no recollection of this guy at all. Like absolutely nothing.

God, those Lou twilight years were brutal.

Your post actually made me remember him... sorta. Like you - I don't remember much at all the context. But I knew his name sounded familiar.
I do remember him. I think he may have played NHL games, but maybe they were just preseason games?

When I first read the post I read it as 2023 and not 2013. And I was like “this dude came back into our organization last year? Or maybe he’s always been here in the minors? Feels like he was here 10 or 12 years ago. No way he’s stayed in the org that long?”.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He played just 1 regular season game. And apparently I was at it. It was in Tampa and it was the second to last game of the 14-15 season.

Seth Helgeson and Mark Fraser also dressed on defense that game. Having those three on defense in the same game definitely had to be a contender for worst 3 defensemen in the same game in Devils history.

Stefan Matteau also dressed that game lol.

And in keeping with the theme of reading things wrong, I first read Steve Bernier as Sergei Brylin and was like “Brylin was still in the NHL in the mid 2010s? Really?”.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad