Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I for see Mercer and his agent holding out training camp and into the season at this rate
Maybe training camp but this contract negotiation is not abnormal at this pointing. Him skipping a couple of days of training camp wouldn't be that abnormal either, so it could be part of the process.

Him missing part of the season would be a surprise. The Devils have a reasonable amount of money to give him, he lacks real leverage, and could only force himself someplace for likely comparable money.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry to comment on the locked thread, but I was too late to reply on it when it was open.

But that thread title did at least give off the vibe that there was going to be a tweet or article by someone, be it someone that is halfway legit or be it someone who's a nobody, that we were somehow in on him.

And I'm not worried about Mercer yet. I still won't be if he isn't signed yet by September 10th 0r 15th. There's plenty of RFA's not yet signed, and this is something we've seen in our organization before with RFA's on expiring ELC's. With Severson, Bratt after his ELC expired in 2020, Zacha in 2019. Zacha went until like the day of the start of camp. Bratt went into camp without a contract, which was a short one, due to the covid season and no preseason. In a normal year I think Bratt would have made it by the start of the regular season games with no problem, but he had to wait 2 weeks due to international quarantine protocols.

I think even Henrique went pretty long into the offseason way back when his ELC expired.

One other guy who comes to mind from long ago, though I would say his ELC was probably already expired before this, because he was going into his fifth year in the league, which would have been his sixth if not for the one year lockout. Brian Gionta took a while in 2006. I think he was signed around the week of training camp opening.

Reactions: Dialamo

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One other guy who comes to mind from long ago, though I would say his ELC was probably already expired before this, because he was going into his fifth year in the league, which would have been his sixth if not for the one year lockout. Brian Gionta took a while in 2006. I think he was signed around the week of training camp opening.

I'm reading some articles from 2006, but it seemed like Gionta (and Martin/Hale/Rasmussen/Clemmensen) had to wait for Lou to sort out the messy cap situation.

October 1: Malakhov traded to San Jose
October 3: Mogilny ruled unable to play, Devils allowed to dip into LTIR. RFAs all re-signed.

It came down to the wire for the New Jersey Devils to get within the NHL's $44 million salary cap, but the league's longest-serving general manager got it done.

After getting hefty contracts for Alexander Mogilny and Vladimir Malakhov off the books, Lou Lamoriello re-signed forward Brian Gionta, defencemen David Hale and Paul Martin, goaltender Scott Clemmensen and forward Erik Rasmussen to new deals in time for the start of the season.

Sources tell TSN it's a three-year deal worth about $4 million per year.

The Devils, earlier Tuesday gave themselves a $7.1 million cushion under the current salary cap, which enabled them to sign Gionta. He was a restricted free agent, entering Devils camp in good faith without a new contract. Devils GM Lou Lamoriello worked out numerous deals over the past week in order to orchestrate a situation which would enable him to sign the 26-year-old right-winger.

"I don't know that difficult is the word, it's just making sure that anything and everything that we've done is within the framework of what we have the ability to do both financially and within the rules," Lamoriello said.

"We were very fortunate with the patience and loyalty that Brian has shown," said Lamoriello. "Brian, Paul, David, Scott and Erik - they all knew the situation we were in. We were totally up front with the positives and the negatives and that we would do everything we could. We wanted them here."

"Some of them (contracts) could have been done earlier but until you know what the pool of money you have to work with, you just can't and I was honest with the players about that."

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm reading some articles from 2006, but it seemed like Gionta (and Martin/Hale/Rasmussen/Clemmensen) had to wait for Lou to sort out the messy cap situation.

October 1: Malakhov traded to San Jose
October 3: Mogilny ruled unable to play, Devils allowed to dip into LTIR. RFAs all re-signed.
Ahh, you’re right. Somehow I managed to forget that those were cap related. Especially Gionta and probably Martin, who were getting significant money, unlike the others.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Please someone tell me they have a good Capfriendly replacement!

I'm drownin!

sleep-psyduck.gif

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Ugh re-reading about that Malakhov trade and having to trade a 1st to get that stupid contract off the books still annoys me.

If it's any consolation, I'm not sure we would have hit on the pick. San Jose sent it to St. Louis to rent Bill Guerin and the Blues did well to draft David Perron. As I remember it, Perron was ranked a little later; THN had him #31, ISS had him #32, Central Scouting

The next ten picks after Perron: Brendan Smith, Nick Petrecki (the guy I would have wanted), Jim O'Brien, Nick Ross, T.J. Brennan, Brett MacLean, Taylor Ellington, Josh Godfrey, Tommy Cross, Joel Gistedt, Stefan Legein, Bill Sweatt. P.K. Subban and Wayne Simmonds were the only 2007 2nd rounders who had good NHL careers; Everybody made fun of LA for reaching for Simmonds too.

But I suppose in a perfect world, Lou could have used it an asset for a deadline rental. Forsberg/Tkachuk/Guerin/Zubrus/Nagy/Rivet were the primary rentals that year. We were somewhat set with forwards* that year and there didn't appear to be any D who would have bolstered our chance.

LW: Elias-Parise-Pandolfo-Rupp
C: Gomez-Zajac-Madden-Rasmussen-Dowd
RW: Gionta-Langenbrunner-Brylin-Janssen-Clarkson
D: Martin-Rafalski-White-Lukowich-Oduya-Greene-Hale-Fraser
G: Brodeur-Clemmensen

One unfortunate thing was that we got Alexander Korolyuk in the Malakhov trade. There was a deal in place to send Korolyuk back to San Jose for a 3rd rounder, but Korolyuk decided to stay in Russia.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If it's any consolation, I'm not sure we would have hit on the pick. San Jose sent it to St. Louis to rent Bill Guerin and the Blues did well to draft David Perron. As I remember it, Perron was ranked a little later; THN had him #31, ISS had him #32, Central Scouting

The next ten picks after Perron: Brendan Smith, Nick Petrecki (the guy I would have wanted), Jim O'Brien, Nick Ross, T.J. Brennan, Brett MacLean, Taylor Ellington, Josh Godfrey, Tommy Cross, Joel Gistedt, Stefan Legein, Bill Sweatt. P.K. Subban and Wayne Simmonds were the only 2007 2nd rounders who had good NHL careers; Everybody made fun of LA for reaching for Simmonds too.

But I suppose in a perfect world, Lou could have used it an asset for a deadline rental. Forsberg/Tkachuk/Guerin/Zubrus/Nagy/Rivet were the primary rentals that year. We were somewhat set with forwards* that year and there didn't appear to be any D who would have bolstered our chance.

LW: Elias-Parise-Pandolfo-Rupp
C: Gomez-Zajac-Madden-Rasmussen-Dowd
RW: Gionta-Langenbrunner-Brylin-Janssen-Clarkson
D: Martin-Rafalski-White-Lukowich-Oduya-Greene-Hale-Fraser
G: Brodeur-Clemmensen

One unfortunate thing was that we got Alexander Korolyuk in the Malakhov trade. There was a deal in place to send Korolyuk back to San Jose for a 3rd rounder, but Korolyuk decided to stay in Russia.
Simmonds was underrated and underpaid the vast majority of his career. Shame we got him later in his career but he was a true power forward and signed a very team friendly deal underpaying him during his peak years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad