Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Place Nurse and Kane on LTIR and go bonkers Vegas style.
We wouldn't have a way of replacing him. Sellers are waiting till closer to the deadline to make their moves. Nurse being out would be a disaster in the short term. The Vegas method would be for Nurse to be injured a week before the deadline and be back for playoffs.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I said next summer. His NMC moves to a modified NTC in the spring. There will be teams that want his physicality. We just wont get anything of value back.

That's kind of the whole point of this board. We know we will be accruing cap space. Let us have some fun and consider what the options might be.

Don't think they will be looking for the same thing as us. We have the same level of assets that we had when we acquired Ekholm.

Man... so much negativity today. Smile everyone. Hockey's back!

It's not negativity. I'm legitimately asking what the plan is? Theirs a difference between being optimistic and blindfully unrealistic.

How do the Oilers acquire a legit top 4 RHD? Its going to be difficult given that the market is incredibly thin. Like who is available? UFA RHD this year include:

1. Burns (playoff team)
2. Ekblad (playoff team)
3. Pionk (playoff team)
4. Savard

After that you are in Fabbro/Borgen/Jokiharju/Ceci territory.

The following year their is:

1. Trouba
2. Carlsson
3. Andersson
4. Manson
5. Murphy
6. Jensen

After that you are in Gudbranson/Dumba/Holl territory.

In addition, we lack assets and cap space. Nashville has 3 first round picks this year. If they want to upgrade on Fabbro or Carrier, they will absolutely be able outbid us. The RHD market is so thin that even a 2nd pair RHD will be difficult to get.

So that means that we need to bring in someone cheap and hope they can turn into a top 4 RHD or move someone else to acquire a defenceman with some term.

4 months of nurse on ltir is a big chunk of cash for trade deadline. Kane as well and we will be well to do.

You can't accrue cap space and go on LTIR.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Place Nurse and Kane on LTIR and go bonkers Vegas style.
I don’t understand this line of thinking at all. You want our two toughest guys to sit all year, so who replaces that toughness? You do realize this is a contact sport and having your face in the glass for 82 games isn’t a recipe for success. Some here are worried McD gets worn out, wait til he gets run through the glass and RNH has to come to the rescue.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We wouldn't have a way of replacing him. Sellers are waiting till closer to the deadline to make their moves. Nurse being out would be a disaster in the short term. The Vegas method would be for Nurse to be injured a week before the deadline and be back for playoffs.
Should have taken care of shit before June 28. The date when you can start signing UFAs. There were plenty of defensemen available.

Reactions: Duke74

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Should have taken care of shit before June 28. The date when you can start signing UFAs. There were plenty of defensemen available.
I'm skeptical that could have happened. The great RDs weren't being traded.

The one chance we could have had to secure our RD was to sign Tanev, and imo that would have been a mistake. That's like how we committed to Campbell because he was the one available to us.

We have a time to strike and it is the period between now and the deadline, and the timing isn't up to us.

We should just add a cheap RD like those rumored names and do as well as we can until a move can be made.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

The one chance we could have had to secure our RD was to sign Tanev, and imo that would have been a mistake. That's like how we committed to Campbell because he was the one available to us.

We have a time to strike and it is the period between now and the deadline, and the timing isn't up to us.

We should just add a cheap RD like those rumored names and do as well as we can until a move can be made.
I agree with you Mr Positive. The Oilers are taking a huge risk by not trying to trade for a top 4 RHD now or earlier in the summer. Teams rarely trade a top 4 RHD at the deadline, if even at all. This has such a high chance to backfire on us

Reactions: McDoused

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree with you Mr Positive. The Oilers are taking a huge risk by not trying to trade for a top 4 RHD now or earlier in the summer. Teams rarely trade a top 4 RHD at the deadline, if even at all. This has such a high chance to backfire on us
I can't disagree, but if it's a player with trade protection, things might actually get interesting for the Oilers

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Isn’t that exactly what we’ve been doing for the entire McDrai era? And it’s what led to us running Ceci in the top 4 for years while we waited for an upgrade? Only to have that second pair let us down year after year come playoff time.

Maybe Emberson can be a diamond in the rough and exceed expectations here.

There is an alternative reality where the Oilers prioritized bringing in a guy like Matt Roy to be the 2RD and we don’t sign Skinner/Henrique or trade McLeod.

Is that team better? I’m not sure truthfully. Both teams would have weaknesses. But I feel like it’s always easier to add middle 6 forwards come the trade deadline than it is top 4 RHD.

Reactions: joestevens29

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's not negativity. I'm legitimately asking what the plan is? Theirs a difference between being optimistic and blindfully unrealistic.

How do the Oilers acquire a legit top 4 RHD? Its going to be difficult given that the market is incredibly thin. Like who is available? UFA RHD this year include:

1. Burns (playoff team)
2. Ekblad (playoff team)
3. Pionk (playoff team)
4. Savard

1. Trouba
2. Carlsson
3. Andersson
4. Manson
5. Murphy
6. Jensen

In addition, we lack assets and cap space. Nashville has 3 first round picks this year. If they want to upgrade on Fabbro or Carrier, they will absolutely be able outbid us. The RHD market is so thin that even a 2nd pair RHD will be difficult to get.

So that means that we need to bring in someone cheap and hope they can turn into a top 4 RHD or move someone else to acquire a defenceman with some term.

There could be some surprise additions. He's old but a guy like Spurgeon could come available if Minnesota wants to retool. They just gave Faber a big deal so the obviously see him as their top RHD going forward. They have over $13M in dead cap space coming off the cap next year so even with Faber's raise they will have lots of cap space and they have three retention slots. The cost might be more than makes sense, though his age, his injury history and his 10 team trade list might mitigate that. But at least for a few years a guy like Spurgeon at say $4M would be significant.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Dermott makes sense. Nurse is injured and won't be back until late in the preseason and we need to ice so many vets. Also we have a split squad game that we need bodies for.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Really don't know why people think this is going to happen

Full NMC, just built a house in Edmonton, not sure that every team in the league would want him either.

He is a very tough player to move.
At the trade deadline it becomes a 16 team list. Odd that it is at this year trade deadline. Who knew Holland was thinking ahead.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
4 months of nurse on ltir is a big chunk of cash for trade deadline. Kane as well and we will be well to do.
How so ? He would have to be on LTIR until the playoffs for it to be any benefit. The day Nurse or Kane comes back you have to be cap compliant. You do not gain 1 cent. LTIR only lets you exceed the cap by the amount you have on LTIR.

To make it simple. If the cap is 90 million and You have a 9 million player on LTIR you can spend up to 99 million. The day the player comes back you have to be down to 90 million again

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

1. Burns (playoff team)
2. Ekblad (playoff team)
3. Pionk (playoff team)
4. Savard

1. Trouba
2. Carlsson
3. Andersson
4. Manson
5. Murphy
6. Jensen

Players always become available that we don't expect. Nobody expected Ekholm to be available. Guys like Chychrun ask for trades, etc.

And I imagine Nashville's most pressing need will be a center upgrade, or third line scoring. Their D is fine. They'll chase a depth guy. You're automatically assuming we can't get the guy we want, so lets just give up now? Yikes man...

Also we can absolutely accrue cap space this season, even if we put guys on LTIR, because we wouldn't be over the cap otherwise if those players were active.

We couldn't accrue when Klef and Smith were on LTIR, because we were over the cap if you included their contracts. The 900k in cap space that we have will accrue throughout the season.

Reactions: Kolja

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's kind of the problem isn't it.

The Oilers lack the assets to go out and get a legit top 4 defenceman with a reasonable contract.

They also don't have the cap space to get someone that isn't only a cap friendly deal.

Finally, the contracts you would consider moving out to make room have trade protection.

Bowman is going to have to have his work cut out for him trying to figure something out. Maybe you wait until the deadline for cap space but it's not like we are going to be in a better position next year.

Our best bet might be targeting a UFA dman but their isn't a while lot available.

It would be hard to let Kane heal all season only to trade him at the deadline. Maybe they keep him for the rest of the season and try trading him next offseason (where hopefully his value goes up).
This seems a little overly negative, with all due respect.

The Oilers have similar assets to what most contenders have with the lone difference being that they don't have one of their 1sts in '25 or '26 but they have O'Reilly who could actually be more valuable than a late 1st depending on how his season goes.

The Oilers will have accrued cap space (not sure why you think they don't have the cap space), a 1st, the picks from Broberg and Holloway and some good prospects in their cupboard that they can dangle if they want to go bigger for a more longer term solution.
I mean, they acquired Ekholm for a late 1st and a non-blue chip prospect so the opportunities will be there closer to the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad