Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
No but that's the kind of bet you make hoping youre wrong.
Absolutely not - What I want to have happen and what I expect to happen can be very different things.

Being a fan doesn't prevent me from taking a realistic look at things

Could also say he's due to play all 82! :)

I'm just concerned, as we all should be.

Reactions: My3Sons

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Fitz doesn’t do cheap depth well, I still don’t get why we didn’t toss a contract to a cheap center option.

Other tops teams also have center depth in their org and we just don’t give a shit about it.
Other teams dont have two first overall centers eating up major minutes, and one of them a Selke-level defender matching teams best

Sure we could have a better center than Haula but.. not really? Not by a lot at least. Lazar isnt normally a center but we also didnt expect to have been employing a sexual offender in one of the best faceoff takers in the league

Theres time and its not something that is so crucial its costing us the playoffs. Cotter was a great pickup for the future of the bottom-6 so I have faith Fitzgerald can make another play for a center someday after Haula

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Fitz doesn’t do cheap depth well, I still don’t get why we didn’t toss a contract to a cheap center option.

Other tops teams also have center depth in their org and we just don’t give a shit about it.
Yeah, I dunno, Lazar, Cotter, Kovacevic, are all super cheap depth players. Tatar's pretty cheap. He found Miller last year at 1.8 per.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Yeah, I dunno, Lazar, Cotter, Kovacevic, are all super cheap depth players. Tatar's pretty cheap. He found Miller last year at 1.8 per.

Counterpoint: Brendan Smith and Kurtis MacDermid.

Some of his cheap depth moves work out ok, but they’re not all winners.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

The real culprit is what he did last year. I was saying at the time he never should’ve let Boqvist go and we should’ve been all over Suter. Suter and Boqvist for a combined 2.375 would go such a long way.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Other teams dont have two first overall centers eating up major minutes, and one of them a Selke-level defender matching teams best

Sure we could have a better center than Haula but.. not really? Not by a lot at least. Lazar isnt normally a center but we also didnt expect to have been employing a sexual offender in one of the best faceoff takers in the league

Theres time and its not something that is so crucial its costing us the playoffs. Cotter was a great pickup for the future of the bottom-6 so I have faith Fitzgerald can make another play for a center someday after Haula

Florida had Barkov, Bennett, Lundell, Stenlund, Reinhart, Rodrigues, Luostarainen, Lorentz that you could all pretty comfortably throw in the middle. Vegas had Eichel, Stephenson, Roy, Karlsson, Howden, Blueger, Barbashev. Colorado had MacKinnon, Kadri, Compher, Newhook, Helm, Sturm. I think Rantanen’s played some in the middle. TB had Point, Gourde, Cirelli, Stamkos, Johnson, Colton, Coleman, Paquette.

All of these teams had at least 5 guys you could put up in the middle on a top 9 line and not feel too bad about it as well as multiple guys to play the 4C. We’ve got 4 for the top 9 and only one for the 4C and that guy isn’t even a true center. I don’t know how anyone sees this center depth on the NHL roster and organizationally and thinks it’s acceptable. I guess you’re all in the Fitz camp of “we have Jack/Nico so f*** getting any more centers”

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
How would the devils look if they converted Luke to play as a forward on a line with Jack? It’s not gonna happen but it’s summertime.

• Wow
Reactions: BostonDevil

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Florida had Barkov, Bennett, Lundell, Stenlund, Reinhart, Rodrigues, Luostarainen, Lorentz that you could all pretty comfortably throw in the middle. Vegas had Eichel, Stephenson, Roy, Karlsson, Howden, Blueger, Barbashev. Colorado had MacKinnon, Kadri, Compher, Newhook, Helm, Sturm. I think Rantanen’s played some in the middle. TB had Point, Gourde, Cirelli, Stamkos, Johnson, Colton, Coleman, Paquette.

All of these teams had at least 5 guys you could put up in the middle on a top 9 line and not feel too bad about it as well as multiple guys to play the 4C. We’ve got 4 for the top 9 and only one for the 4C and that guy isn’t even a true center. I don’t know how anyone sees this center depth on the NHL roster and organizationally and thinks it’s acceptable. I guess you’re all in the Fitz camp of “we have Jack/Nico so f*** getting any more centers
Feels blown out of propotion - your suggesting their entire fourth line could have slotted second line in a middle-6?

Even if thats true thats what going all-in over a few years gets you - the Devils best players havent even turned 26 yet

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Not like Luke can

There will be a LHD that can play the PP but isn't particularly good on the defensive side waived during training camp. If Luke gets injured, they can just pick a guy up for free or for a 7th rounder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad