Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Top goalie coaches make a real difference.

Mitch Korn (66) and Allaire brothers (Benoit, 60, and Francois, 68) are all deservedly legendary and arguably Hall of Fame worthy.

Then there’s Ian Clark (66) in Vancouver, Bob Essensa (59) in Boston, Sean Burke (57) in Vegas, Sudarshan Maharaj (60) in Anaheim.

Those are just the biggest names, I don’t know the new top goalie coaches, but these guys for sure have made discernible differences for teams.

There’s been a lot of growth in both the coaching and management of the NHL as it just recently started to get the attention it deserved.

Directors of Goaltending chose which goalies the teams pursue and, along with the coach, shape how those goalies play.

In his defense, there were times when Rogalski had almost nothing to work with, like in 2021-22. Not in his defense, guys seem to get coached up in Utica and then deteriorate up here.

The goaltending in 2023-24 was bad and a lot is riding on it in 2024-25, not sure I would go in with the coaching staff for goalies.

Nilsson calls himself a Development Coach for the Devils on Instagram, so I guess he’s that. That was Rogalski’s job in St Louis before we hired him here.
Corey Schwab in Utah now?

Reactions: Guttersniped

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He played just 1 regular season game. And apparently I was at it. It was in Tampa and it was the second to last game of the 14-15 season.

Seth Helgeson and Mark Fraser also dressed on defense that game. Having those three on defense in the same game definitely had to be a contender for worst 3 defensemen in the same game in Devils history.

Stefan Matteau also dressed that game lol.

And in keeping with the theme of reading things wrong, I first read Steve Bernier as Sergei Brylin and was like “Brylin was still in the NHL in the mid 2010s? Really?”.:laugh:
I remember watching Zubrus in his first year with NJ and thinking that Brylin's career with us was over. Zubrus did everything that Brylin did but better. He was bigger, faster, FAR stronger, better on the forecheck. Played PK and had C/W flex. He was Brylin on steroids and made Sarge totally obsolete.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Oilers have a history of being dogshit as hell for at least part of this millennium and having dudes who are super cool to watch play

I’m not super surprised

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
This team has a lot of skill and exciting hockey and 0 assholes. There's no reason to hate them unless you're a Rags fan.
Also a reason why the team is unlikely to win anything substantial.

Need to find a Lemieux, Holik, even Madden type asshole to add to the team. Still holding out some hope for Stillman, though he didn’t seem to really deliver on that in the AHL last year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Also a reason why the team is unlikely to win anything substantial.

Need to find a Lemieux, Holik, even Madden type asshole to add to the team. Still holding out some hope for Stillman, though he didn’t seem to really deliver on that in the AHL last year.

they just added like 3 of those types of guys within the past 2 weeks lol

some of you just like to complain about anything and everything

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Like Cotter, Noesen, and Dillon?
We’ll see.

Noesen is willing to go to the dirty areas, but he’s a pretty clean player.

I don’t know much about Cotter. But, he also seems like a reasonably clean player.

Dillon seems to play more on the edge. But, again I don’t know that much about him. I’m not sure how many of those PIMs are from getting beat vs pushing the envelope.

My sense is that we do not yet have an asshole on the team.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
We’ll see.

Noesen is willing to go to the dirty areas, but he’s a pretty clean player.

I don’t know much about Cotter. But, he also seems like a reasonably clean player.

Dillon seems to play more on the edge. But, again I don’t know that much about him. I’m not sure how many of those PIMs are from getting beat vs pushing the envelope.

My sense is that we do not yet have an asshole on the team.
We don't, but assholes who can play well enough to not only not be a minus to the team but have their play actually contribute as well, are very hard to find.

The Brad Marchands and Tom Wilsons are rare, there are a lot more out there who could fit the bill, but very few who wouldn't end up pissing us off more than the other team 40 games in after the excitement of watching other teams get pissed off dies down.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hrabarenka, Mozik, Stollery and Warsofsky. The mid 2010s were tough times.
Don't forget Auvitu, Taormina, Foster, Harrold, Fraser, Helgeson, Schlemko (he was actually kinda good iirc), Prout, Kapla, Gryba, and Yakovlev. We had a decade of trash sprinkled with some John Moore, Jesus Lovejoy, Severson (<3), etc.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Don't forget Auvitu, Taormina, Foster, Harrold, Fraser, Helgeson, Schlemko (he was actually kinda good iirc), Prout, Kapla, Gryba, and Yakovlev. We had a decade of trash sprinkled with some John Moore, Jesus Lovejoy, Severson (<3), etc.
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad